Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Histamines and CH (Read 1209 times)
katjac
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Histamines and CH
Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:54pm

I remember reading something about histamines in the body and CH...anyone have more info on this?

I am a terribly allergic person...you name it and I am probably allergic to it, foods, environmental things, medications...
and it wasn't *always* this way.  When I was young, I could eat peanuts and eggs, can't do it anymore.  Same with shellfish.  Can't do hardly any of the antibiotics anymore without hives and a swollen tongue.

I just want to figure out why this pain is happening to me Sad

Forgot to ask...are any of you allergic to alot of things???
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:58pm by katjac »  

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Histamines and CH
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:50pm

I have some minor seasonal allergies.  When one is experiencing a CH, the body releases a lot of histamine.  That's one reason for the runny/stuffy nose, teary eye, red eye, etc...

Early on with my CH, I got allergy tested and did NOT raise a welt for the "control" which was histamine.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 6:49pm

I think CH was called "histamine headache" in old days.  If you google it, you'll get a ton of info.  I seems that serotonin and/or histamine is believed to be the cause of CH. 

I have no allergy whatsoever, foods or meds.  A minor intolerance to simple sugars but no known allergy.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 9:53pm

Well, you're not alone in that. (Being horribly allergic) I have histamine intolerance syndrome. 50 known allergies to medications alone. (not including the ones we forgot about / never wrote down...)

Basically my body cannot tolerate histamine, and I know for damn sure that it's released during clusters...because I've broken out in hives during them! If I don't get my pain under control quickly, I may end up at the ER due to the severity of it. (My throat likes to close up due to the most random shit.)

Stress can also cause histamine to be released... So I don't know if it was the cluster causing me pain that made me welt out, or if it was the cluster causing histamine to release that caused it.

Now, mind you, I saw my allergists today, and they said they knew of no connection between the two. They attributed my hives during clusters to the histamine intolerance. But who really knows?

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:16pm

They use histamine desensitization at the Diamond Clinic in Chicago to treat chronic cluster headaches quite frequently and with a fair bit of success.  Here's an article:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Histamine is released as a neurotransmitter, and the cell bodies of neurons that release histamine are located in the hypothalamus.

Histamine and serotonin both can affect vascular dilation and permeability:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Most of the research on hypothalamus-histamine connection is related to metabolism and its effect on weight Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, but "neuronal histamine" definitely plays a role in circadian rythym: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There hasn't been much research done on the CH-histamine connection (that I've been able to find), but histamine desensitization seems to work for some with CH. 

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 6:12am

I'm alergic to about everything from dogs (have an abundance of them), cats, trees, grass, etc... had the tests, took the shots, still alergic.

I just keep benadryl around and if I break out I take a couple of them and the rash goes away.

But I use the alergic to grass to keep from having to mow the grass.... Wink

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:05am

I'm not really allergic to anything that I know of. 

In fact, in some ways it's pretty much the opposite--things that might trigger an allergic reaction in some (shellfish, strawberries, peanuts, etc.) I will very happily over-consume.  For some reason, I seem to be immune to the effects of poison ivy--I can wade where others fear to tread, and I've never had a reaction to it at all.  Dunno why.  Maybe it's just me.

I went through a time when I thought perhaps CH was an allergic reaction of some sort...but it always came on at the same times no matter what I did.  I was never able to pin anything down.

I don't care much for some of my in-laws, but I doubt that it's an actual allergy.   Wink

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!