Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wikipedia entry for 'cluster headache' (Read 1744 times)
tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Wikipedia entry for 'cluster headache'
Nov 21st, 2008 at 12:25am

Wikipedia has become the standard for looking things up (c'mon, when's the last time you picked up a dictionary?) For years, I've used the Wikipedia definition of cluster headaches to explain my condition to friends and family.

I landed a great job last year, and unfortunately, I've been hit with CH's throughout some nights, and have been late to work (albeit rare). I've recently started a new CH cycle. I've explained my headaches to my manager, but I'd much rather have a defined source to back me up a bit.

The Wikipedia entry for cluster headaches is a good one, but I think it has a few shortcomings, from what I've learned on this site.

One example:

"During the onset of a cluster headache, some patients respond to rapid inhalation of pure oxygen (12-15 litres per minute in a non-rebreathing mask)"

I'm sure this is true, but isn't there evidence at this point that higher amounts of O2 are beneficial?

I also noticed that clusterheadaches.com is not on the External Links list. This site has been a godsend to me, shouldn't this website be added to the wikipedia entry?

Just my two bits. Thanks for all the education!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008 at 4:54am by tyrannosaurus »  

IP Logged

tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Re: Wikipedia entry for 'cluster headache'
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 5:16am

I'm surprised no one has replied to this- was this posted in the wrong category?

The general population's literal definition of cluster headaches is defined by Wikipedia.

Does anyone in this community have some ideas on how to improve on this entry?

I've been an episodic cluster sufferer for 15 years (and a big lurker on this forum), and since this community has made so much progress, I thought this would be a great place to better define our affliction.

I took the liberty of adding clusterheadaches.com to the Related Links section, which can be viewed at the bottom of the Wiki entry.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 11:54am

Great job. it needed to be there!!!!!   Tuck

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 11:59am

I only hesitated to respond because I am to computers what the cave man is to jet airplanes.  Grin My devoted wife and kids have finally gotten me beyond having them turn my computer on for me but I haven't advanced much past that.

I've heard of Wikipedia but must confess I haven't accessed it yet. As somebody posted recently, the internet is becoming a much more popular place to research medical conditions, which explains our recent boom in membership on the board. ANYTHING that puts more info out to the general public is a good thing!

Guiseppi's 2 cents!

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 12:57pm

I agree that this web site should be on the external links.  The higher lpm is newer info and thanks to this web site and ouch, that information is available to us, but may take time to get out there to the rest of the world.  I'm glad they at least mention 02.  I have read worse definitions.

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 1:20pm

On the Dutch wiki page CH.com is mentioned in the external links section, together with the clusterbusters site.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 1:58pm

OK, so who do we get us listed on all wiki pages as an external link?

Deej?  Steph?

I know enough about computers to be just a smidge more knowledgeable than Guiseppi.  I'm merely a tad beyond cave woman.

In other words, I don't know???

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:14pm

Sandy, I think we all have to get into a (virtual) circle, light some eldeberry incense and summon our inner goat. Except on Thursdays, of course.

IP Logged

kayarr
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1|Portland|USA|usa|36|63|OR,Oregon
Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 1:03pm

Balanchine wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:14pm:
Sandy, I think we all have to get into a (virtual) circle, light some eldeberry incense and summon our inner goat. Except on Thursdays, of course.

Thursdays it's the bodily ash smearing.......LOL!

Nothing is impossible!  Just believe!!!!!
kayarr2k  
IP Logged

tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:40am

If there's anything you would like for me to add or edit, just let me know and I'll be happy to do so. Please note that if I make any changes, I may need to site a credible source, so please include a source for any fact changes.

Also, if there are any 100% royalty-free images you'd like to see on the site, just send them to me and I'll be happy to add them.

IP Logged

tyrannosaurus
CH.com Newbie

Thanks to everyone here!

Houston
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:23pm

I added clusterheadaches.com to the "See Also" category.

IP Logged

aj
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Portland Oregon
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:30pm

I was just using this article last week to explain this to co-workers (this is my first cluster with them).  I especially highlighted: "experts believe that it may be the most severe pain known to medical science."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!