Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tylenol trigger? (Read 2024 times)
Rolomatic
Ex Member

Tylenol trigger?
Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:49am

Tylenol trigger?

I twisted my bad knee two nights ago at midget hockey practice helping my 5 yr old daughter learn to skate. The bad knee that needs a rebuild (partially torn ACL).

So I have never had any problems with acetaminophen in the past but the last two nights I popped 1000 mg to get some sleep but ended up with a K6-7 every two hours all night long with all day shadow pain. Usually this only happens when I get an accidental dose of MSG.

Anyone else ever found acetaminophen to be a CH antagonist? Maybe I’m just loony or as in the past too ready to blame anything that crosses the road in front of me. The dam O2 supplier will be making good ching this month!

PFW’s

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Tylenol trigger?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Sorry Roland about your knee and the recent hits.

I can't say that I have ever noticed Tylenol triggering my CH.  I hope you figure it out  and get it under control soon! 

PF wishes!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 12:33pm

The funny thing is that this has never happened before, so I’m not going to through it under the buss just yet. I have not taken it in pill form for over a year now but have in Nyquil liquid form and that is also a 1000 mg dose. Who knows? Could just be my jacked up head?!?!

Thx Jeannie,

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

Sonny1974
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:58pm

i am new to this site,   but i have never had a trigger from tylenol.  Does MSG usually trigger for you? I had chineese food the other night and wham within 30 minutes.  good to know.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:00pm

MSG.......Every time!   Just like alcohol!

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:00pm

MSG is a huge trigger for some people. For me it's worse than beer! Cry Make sure they have a NO MSG sign!

Edit to add; I wish the cluster survey dipped into this more than just alcohol in general. Second time today I got kicked out of the server...
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:23pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 3:58pm

I have never had Tylenol trigger a hit,  but everyone is different and the beast likes to change.  Having had many broken bones and sprains I found that Naproxen and motrin(Ibuprofen) work tons better than Tylenol anyway for those type of injuries.
   Hang in there Rolo,
                                           Phil Cool

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:01pm

Quote:
 I found that Naproxen and motrin(Ibuprofen) work tons better than Tylenol anyway for those type of injuries.
 Phil Cool

Yea but that crap eats the tummy too bad for me. Wink Thx Phil Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:16pm

Roland:

It is too bad about the knee, I can relate to the discomfort though.  In my experience, the OTC (Over The Counter) pain relievers can be a cause of Chronic Daily Headache, if used at the maximum or beyond the maxium recommended dosages.   If I remember correctly, compounds containing caffeine, like Excedrine, are most likely to bring this on.

This is a windy way of saying that I haven't heard about acetameniphen being a cluster trigger....

That's my 2 cents,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:14am

Nope, never had a hit due to any pain killer that I know of.
The only trigger I can absolutely say I have is alchohol.
                                   JPC

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:21pm

No Tylenol last night and no CH attacks. Go figure? Cool

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 2:52am

Quote:
I have not taken it in pill form for over a year now but have in Nyquil liquid form and that is also a 1000 mg dose. Who knows? Could just be my jacked up head?!?!

Hmmm, Nyquil Liquid contains alcohol? 10% by volume.  An ounce of table wine (anywhere between 11-14% alcohol) can trigger an attack for me, so unless you used alcohol-free Nyquil, you might be as sensitive to alcohol as I am?

[ETA]  Not sure if I misread your post as I wasn't clear whether you took Tylenol (pill) or Nyquil Liquid.  Sorry if I'm totally off.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008 at 2:57am by MrsT »  

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 2:54am

MrsT wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 2:52am:
Quote:
I have not taken it in pill form for over a year now but have in Nyquil liquid form and that is also a 1000 mg dose. Who knows? Could just be my jacked up head?!?!

Hmmm, Nyquil Liquid contains alcohol? 10% by volume.  An ounce of table wine (anywhere between 11-14% alcohol) can trigger an attack for me, so unless you used alcohol-free Nyquil, you might be as sensitive to alcohol as I am?

Yea but I drink so that's not it. Edit; But no beer dam it! Angry

Thanks, Rolo  Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2008 at 2:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 3:00am

Funny how we get to know our triggers so intimately Cool

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 4:34am

Quote:
Funny how we get to know our triggers so intimately Cool

LOL yes!!  My husband caught me tonight cooking with my neck crooked and my arm all stretched out to stay far away from the steam LOL.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:13am

Thanks for the good post Rolo, in my personal use of tylenol with CH i have swallowed as many as 8 at once to try to stop a cluster to no avail. It has never been a trigger for me like the smell of bathroom cleaning products, scrubbing bubbbles, mold and mildew removers.... ect... But to the same degree it has never stoped a CH for me, so i must say tylenol is almost like a sugar pill for MY clusters. Once i was slammed with a kip 9.. 30 seconds after chugging a ice cold glass of orange juice. Go figure?? Orange juice??? I never knew about the MSG thing either so im now looking into that myself.. man this forum is great.. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!