Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen in the UK (Read 2133 times)
CHvsTN
CH.com Junior

This isn't my head, is
it?

x1|Aberdeen|United_Kingdom|europe|181|170|
Oxygen in the UK
Nov 20th, 2008 at 2:55am

I tried to get O2 for the first time from my GP and was told that it isn't available in the UK via the National Health.

Can anyone point me to a supplier in the UK.

Thanks,
RT

... and by opposing, end them.

IP Logged

Dan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Kent, England
Re: Oxygen in the UK
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:03am

That's a load of bollocks.... I live in kent and saw my doc last week, he filled out a home oxygen order form (HOOF) and within 3 day's I had 3 bottles delivered to my doorstep, there's was no mention what so ever of the o2 not being available on the NHS.
If I was you I would go back to see your doc or go and find a new one.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk

PFD'S to you all

Dan
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:04am by Dan »  

IP Logged

darknight
CH.com Veteran

Ever danced with the devil
by the pale moonlight?

x0|Manchester|Great_Britain||0|0|
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:36am

I 2nd Dan RT.

Take a form with you if you are still having problems the Lady known as Little Limey aka Helen will point you in the right direction with her broomstick!!!

pfd to all!!!

This is My Gift My Curse!!

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:42am

Dan wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:03am:
That's a load of bollocks.... I live in kent and saw my doc last week, he filled out a home oxygen order form (HOOF) and within 3 day's I had 3 bottles delivered to my doorstep, there's was no mention what so ever of the o2 not being available on the NHS.
If I was you I would go back to see your doc or go and find a new one.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk

PFD'S to you all

Dan

RT

Sorry, Dan isn't exactly right as you are effectively in "different countries" where 02 supply is concerned although you are entitled to 02 on prescription.

The system is slightly different in Scotland and I am afraid much less easy to negotiate as they don't have the free Home Oxygen service or HOOF system yet and a lot of the "kit" is hard to get hold of too.

You can get it on prescription you obtain from your GP but it then comes from a pharmacy either by your collection or some can do delivery. It has to be a PRIMARY pharmacy though as smaller ones don't store oxygen.

You need to get the GP fill out a form for a 1360lt tank (preferably 2 of them) and ask him to also request a high flow regulator capable of 15litres per minute (there is no point in not trying to get one from the NHS but you may find this hard and may have to buy one - circa £45)

You will also need to request a non rebreather set.

More details on OUCH UK where we have a guy called Scott (who visits here sometimes too) who is the expert on the Scottish system which sadly isn't as good as the one in England - sorry!!!.

OUCH can also help r.e. regulators and masks if you are struggling with these

W
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:51am by pubgirl »  

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

Dan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Kent, England
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 10:20am

I stand corrected....sorry

Dan

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

it a migraine eats teeth

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:27pm

No worries whatosever Dan.

You do absolutely right to encourage people to stand up for themselves and fight their bloody useless GP's for O2, our cleanest weapon to date bar NONE (IMHO) It was a very, very long (many years) and hard fight by Goadsby and OUCH to get things the way they are in England, the fight continues in Scotland and many other countries.

Checking/referring to UK is always a good idea here though because what is fact here, isn't fact in many other countries

Think you may have to step up to the plate for this too if Limey isn't here

W

P.S.

RT - if you get problems I have a redundant high flow regulator you can have. It is past its "service by date" but I guarantee it works fine and it converts a standard 02 tank into the high flow rate we need.
Cost me a bloody fortune a few years ago but I had no choice as you may not.
Contact me via OUCH UK if you need it- I am "The Wend" on there.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:37pm by pubgirl »  

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

CHvsTN
CH.com Junior

This isn't my head, is
it?

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:17am

Thank you all for the info - I'll try again. I neglected to mention that I am a smoker, and I was told, because of that, I probably wouldn't even get O2 in A&E!

I don't understand this at all - Talk about kicking a man when he's down...!

RT

IP Logged

pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

it a migraine eats teeth

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:01am

RT

That IS bollocks. Lots of us smoke, absolutely not a reason to refuse 02, it's an excuse from a GP who doesn't know what they are doing or who doesn't want to do it.

Unless you plan on trying to set light to your 02 tank, being a smoker and having 02 is fine, they just don't mix at the same time!

W

IP Logged

CHvsTN
CH.com Junior

This isn't my head, is
it?

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 4:59am

By way of an update, I saw a different GP and, although he had not heard of oxygen being used as a CH abortive, he gave me the benefit of the doubt. He's going to ask a consultant neurologist for advice, and if Mr Delmonte, he say yeh, then I'll get the O2.

RT

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 5:36am

Suggest to your doctor that he looks in his BNF (British National formulary - GP's prescribing bible) under cluster headache (section 4.7.4.3) he will see that Imigran injections are the only licensed treatment for aborting cluster headache, along with high flow oxygen!

Rod

OUCH(UK)
-
"THEY'RE CRUCIAL, THEY'RE UNIQUE AND THEY'RE EXPERT"

Quote;  Prof. Peter Goadsby 2007

OUCH(UK) HELPLINE  No  01646 651979

IP Logged

CHvsTN
CH.com Junior

This isn't my head, is
it?

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 5:40am

Nice one Dyno! That's what I call ammunition.

RT

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 6:16am

There's also this from the OUCH(UK) website which may help when you get O2.

Quote:
In Scotland, although the 1360 litre cylinders are available on the NHS, you have to supply your own high flow regulator, this might be a useful number for you:

GB Medical can supply high flow regulators at a reasonable cost, around £45,

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register telephone: 01264 361578

You will also need a non rebreather mask.

You could always try ringing our helpline for more advice 01646 651979, leave your number and somebody will get back to you, also have a look here;

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Good luck

OUCH(UK)
-
"THEY'RE CRUCIAL, THEY'RE UNIQUE AND THEY'RE EXPERT"

Quote;  Prof. Peter Goadsby 2007

OUCH(UK) HELPLINE  No  01646 651979

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|tobermory|Scotland||0|0|
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 7:44am

can't really add any more to what's already been said!!!

But, i live in Scotland, my hubby (who is the sufferer) has O2 and yes he is a smoker.

As has been mentioned give the helpline a call and we can give you any more advice needed!!

With regards to GB Medical, i have spoke to a couple of people who have used this company and they have said the service was very good!!!

Good luck and if you need any more help, please ask!!!

Sandra xxx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!