Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I have been wondering... (Read 1390 times)
aubmari
CH.com Old Timer

Do not lose heart~

Helena, Montana
I have been wondering...
Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:30pm

What determines what makes us either eposodic or chronic? I mean I started back in 2000 and have only had two cycles lasting about 3-5 weeks each time usually night hits about two hours after I would go to bed, but I have not been visited by the beast in over 5 years. Dont get me wrong I am not complaining AT ALL. I am just curious as to what the determining factors are.

I mean how do we know that there aren't alot of other people out there who are like me with only a couple of cycles so far and long remissions and chalk it up to something completely different or never have it again. (crossing fingers still) 

I totally understand that there is no "cure" and if they decide to leave me I will be completely jacked.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I have been free for over 5 years with no rhyme or reason and I cant help but think that there must be something that has changed in my life to keep the beast away. If only I could determine what that is.

I usually visit this place daily and have seen the pain that alot of youm, if not all of you, go through and wonder why I am different and wish I had an answer that would help all of you.

I know that I am rambling on and probably not making a whole lot of sense but it really confuses me.

I also must say that even though I have lucked out for a period of time there is little doubt that it will again return to me and I will be oh so prepared because of all of you and I thank you.

Thanks for listening.

Gina

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love deeply and forgive quickly.&&&&

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: I have been wondering...
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 3:55pm

Hi Gina.
     Glad you are PF.
     There is no rhyme or reason to the beast.  I was PF for six years and thought it was gone for good.  Sept. 9th it came back and I'm not done with it yet. 
     In the past, my episodes lasted about a month to a month and a half.  Not so this time, however, the attacks have not been nearly as bad as they were before.
     Trying to second guess this thing is like trying to pick the winning lotto numbers.

Good luck and I hope you remain PF
                                                   JPC

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:41pm

As far as the definitions, chronic is a year without a break of more then a month. (Did I get the break length right?) I've gone as long as 2 years without a cycle, boy do I enjoy the layoffs. For many on the board they've just STOPPED. No rhyme or reason, we all pester them with what changed hoping we can duplicate it!

Enjoy your pain free time, here's hoping he's lost your address and never visits you again!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:46pm

guiseppe is right  one year with less than a month break.
i started as episodic as a young man in my twenties but the navy doctors could never tell me what was wrong. then six years ago it started and never left for more than 10 days and last 10-16 weeks.
with 4-6 hits a day.  so i love imitrex and o2 alot.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 10:42am

Danged if I know.

I've always been an episodic.  Over time, the cycles seem to have become less frequent, if no less intense.  Maybe someday I'll get past these things altogether.

If I could bottle and send whatever's causing them to fade away to all of you, I'd do it.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 10:57am

J Headache Pain. 2005 Feb;6(1):3-9. Epub 2005 Jan 25.

Chronic cluster headache: a review.

Favier I, Haan J, Ferrari MD.

Department of Neurology, K5-Q Leiden University Medical Centre, 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands.

Cluster headache (CH) is a rare but severe headache disorder characterised by repeated unilateral head pain attacks accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic features. In episodic CH, there are periods of headache attacks with pain-free intervals of weeks, months or years in between. A minority of patients have the chronic form, without pain-free intervals between the headache attacks. Chronic CH can occur as primary or secondary chronic CH; the rarest form is episodic CH arising from chronic CH. In this article, we give a review of the chronic forms of CH and focus on demographics, clinical manifestations, social habits, predictive factors, head injury, genetics, neuroimaging and therapy. IT IS REMARKABLE THAT LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT RISK FACTORS THAT MAKE CH CHRONIC.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 16362185 [PubMed] 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 11:06am

I've read a couple of times there seems to be a correlation between the age of onset.
The later in life CH reveal itself, the more chances of becoming chronic.
As far as I know, it is not been proven, just some statistics that show this.

Wish I had some links to provide, but maybe someone more knowledgeable (like Bob Johnson) does.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 7:31pm

Quote:
Favier I, Haan J, Ferrari MD.

Department of Neurology, K5-Q Leiden University Medical Centre, 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands.

I'd like to make a personal recommendation to my Dutch friends.  I used to see Professor Doctor Ferrari (did I get the title right?) when I lived in The Netherlands from 1989-1990.  I liked him and he was very knowledgable.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mandeville, LA
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:03pm

Who knows Gina.  Strange illness all the way around.  Happy you're PF. Nothing better.

For the past ten years I was visited every other year.  This year it starts up in March on schedule.  Stops after about six weeks then it visits again during an evacuation.

It goes away end of August and returns middle of October while on vacation.  Still fighting it now.

I know what I'm going to do though.  I'm staying home.

Chronically episodic,
Steve G

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:15pm

I think we all do a lot of wondering from time to time about these strange headaches that consume so much of our lives.

For thirty years now and the longest stretch of remission for me has been 8 months.....why? .....when some others get years of relief?....i wonder why my clusters are always of 6 months duration when most are considerably less (except chronics).....i wonder why i get along well on some meds for a while and then they no longer work...i do not have to wonder why i sometimes sound a little down... i know it is the headache season and the meds zap my energy resources so...so we must continue to wonder....

Paul
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:24pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!