Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are CH sufferers classed as having a disability? (Read 3366 times)
oodj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

preston, uk
Are CH sufferers classed as having a disability?
Nov 18th, 2008 at 2:54pm

I work in the UK and have started to have trouble at work with time off i'm taking sick due to CH. I have read on another site that CH is a disabilty so sufferers are protected by the disability discrimaination act. Has anyone had any experience of problems with work and what to do?

IP Logged

jason1212
CH.com Junior

I'm out of my mind please
leave a message

Tampa, FL USA
Re: Are CH sufferers classed as having a disability?
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 7:44pm

I have had plenty of trouble with work and my CH's.  I don't know if this pertains to you in the UK but here in the states I was able to get protection under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).  If I remember correctly I was given 1200 hours per year to use however I wanted.  I could leave work early, come in late, or take long breaks in the middle of my shift.  I haven't needed it since I've started my last job.

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 7:45am

Contact ouch uk and see if they can answer your questions.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:00pm

Hi oodj

Im from Liverpool you are correct it is a disability and is subject to the disability discrimaination act. ouchuk has a page regarding this wich outlines the parts of the disability laws apply to CH i suggest you go check it out print it out including the letter to employers from the link on this site and hand them to your boss it will cover you and cover him so he should be happy you got this info for him. hope this helps

Brian

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

oodj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

preston, uk
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 8:09am

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply, since i posted it i have been sacked and is now being dealt with through the tribunal. I can't say much at the moment but all papers from both sides have been submitted and now just waiting for a court date from tribunal, hopefully i'll come out with some justice

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:08am

Justice would be excellent.  Best of luck to you!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 12:04pm

Hope the tribunal is of help.

Have a word with your doctor about being 'registered disabled' under the UK Disability Discrimination Act if your head aches are frequent enough to warrent it.

OUCH UK is a good source of info regarding CH and UK employment laws.

Not much help in regards t your current situation but this may be of hep for the future.

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 12:42pm

Not sure about how it works in the UK.  Some people in the US have gotten protection with the ADA (American's with Disabilities Act), and some have gone on full disability, but that can be a fight.  It is definitely covered by our FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) protections, but if your employer wants to they can make using it a pain in the butt, but it's there.  I would assume the UK has some similar protections in place for you, but I honestly don't know.  I would ask your doctor or someone in your HR department.  It is definitely a problem, though, when you risk losing your job for this and can turn into a nasty catch 22 if you don't get help.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!