Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EXTREME FRUSTRATION !! (Read 3219 times)
jaysbiggestfan
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|anaheim|USA||0|0|CA,California
EXTREME FRUSTRATION !!
Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:44pm

So, my husband Jay ( chronic CH for 5 yrs episodic 15 +) we to yet another neuro appt. he has been in probably the worst cycle I have ever seen. He recently asked me to end it all... not the first time he has aked for this but the first time in about 2 yrs. we have tried EVERYTHING, and today we were told there is nothing more that can be done for him. He is getting ready to loose another job due to the beast and his games and was told he can try for disability and stay home and dance all day long. Not really what we want to do. however disability is very hard to get for "headaches" and we will have to fight. We asked about trigeminal injections and all the other "expirimental" therapies and were told we are on our own. Dose anyone have ANY suggestions ?! I am at my end as well and can no longer sit back and watch the person I love the most suffer, where do we go from here ? PLEASE HELP.

Your supporter always,

Nichole  Angry

jaysbiggestfan....

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Re: EXTREME FRUSTRATION !!
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:57pm

Give us a run down on what he's tried and what he's on now.  Prevents and aborts.  Hang in there.   It will get better. 

Malcom

IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus

What, it's all in my head?

Clyde, NY  USA
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 4:59pm

Hi Nichole-

What has your husband Jay tried for preventativs and abortives?  There are many things you can try and with the right combination CH is manageable.  Lithium has worked for many chronics also Verapamil.  O2 is almost a universal abortive if administered properly.

If your Dr. is not cooperative find a new one.  You pay him for a service and if he does not provide a good service you fire him.  A good Dr. will take the time to listen and take suggestions.

-P.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[img name=signat_img_resize]http://thumb15.web
Paul98 pjl98  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:15pm

Nicole,

You are in Anaheim.  It shouldn't be hard at all to find a GOOD doctor there.  In fact Dr. Kudrow is probably the best in California in diagnosing and treating CH.   Do not let some idiot tell you that there is nothing more they can do.  That's nonsense.

Here is a list of sufferer recommended Dr.s in Calif.  (Including Kudrow)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:33pm

Hi Nicole,     Call me you have my number, if you would like you can talk to my wife(flipperlips) see is on this site also.  If you want to call I can call you right back so it wont cost you much $.
            Phil

IP Logged

jaysbiggestfan
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Jay has tried every medication that the neuro has precribed about 20 different meds. the only thing that  comes remotly close to working is the O2 but only when the mask is on then it comes right back. This neurologist is the 7 th we have seen and they all tell us the same thing, we have been to UCI, OHSU, UCLA and UCSF and still nothing. he has tried the lithium, verapamil, depakote, DHE, predinisone ect....... unfortunatly. we tied acupuctuer, chiropractor, hypniosis, naturopaths and diet change... still nothing. You all know how frustrating this is, thanks for listening and all you advice is welcomed.

Nichole   

jaysbiggestfan....

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:51pm

Nichole, we know this frustration.  

Has your hubby tried histamine desensitization?  
Was the DHE a drip in hospital at high doses for a few days, or a slow drip, administred IM at home over a long period of time?  
Are you sure he was taken up to high enough doses of the verap/lithium - and in combo?  (Between 960 - 1200mg verapamil and between 900 - 1200mg lithium?)
Has he been to a headache center?

I'm sure other headache centers have similar paperwork, but if he hasn't been to a headache center, please take a look at this paperwork.  Being in CA, obviously going to Montefiore (located in the Bronx, NY) isn't a suggestion I'm making, I just want you to see the list of medications.  Some are appropriate to only migraine, but I expect there are things on this list that your hubby has not tried - especially if he's never been under the care of a neuro from a specialized headache center.

Here's the link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Read down the page - you'll see the link to "Download the New Patient Questionnaire."  It's a Word document.

Forget their headache diary - it's for migraines.

But I REALLY recommend you start keeping a "headache" diary.  That's really a misnomer, because what you need to do is document EVERYTHING.  Do this for one month, two if you can.

Have hubby keep track of everything when he's not with you and help him keep track of everything when you're together.  But track the following:

Everything he eats and drinks (including water) and when
Everything he ingests, period, and when (including cigarettes or anything else)
Each attack and how long it lasts
Every medication he takes, when, and how much of it (including 02)
If possible, how much sleep he gets and when

Has he tried "busting" with RC Seeds or Psilocybin mushrooms?  Those often work for chronics non-responsive to meds, and there is a lot of support available if he decides to give it a try.  Feel free to PM me about it.

When at UCSF, did he see Dr. Goadsby?  He does see new patients.  Again, please PM me if you would like his e-mail address.  See if he thinks there's any point in your hubby coming up there again.  ????

Final question - did anyone bother ruling out Paroxysmal Hemicrania?  It presents like clusters, but the attacks are shorter duration though far more frequent.  It's a long shot, but he could be experiencing many attacks back-to-back that appear to be one attack.  Indomethican, an NSAID, almost always works to prevent these types of attacks, and thus PH can be ruled out in about 9 days (3 days of taking one pill a day, 3 days of taking two pills a day, and 3 days of taking 3 pills a day.  If attacks still happen, it isn't PH).

Do not give up hope!

Laurie
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 7:08pm by Garys_Girl »  

This is enough already
IP Logged

Paul98
CH.com Alumnus

What, it's all in my head?

Clyde, NY  USA
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 7:00pm

What were the dosages Jay was on for the various treatments?  Has he ever tried Imitrex?  It may not be right for him if he has any heart condition or high blood pressuer but it has been a godsend to many here. 

Prednisone works well for many and starting dose for a taper is ~60mg/day along with Verapamil.  Verapamil takes a week or two to build up in the system and different people react to a wide range of doses.

Don't loose hope!

-P.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register[img name=signat_img_resize]http://thumb15.web
Paul98 pjl98  
IP Logged

MaxPayne
CH.com Veteran

x0|Oslo|Norway||0|0|
Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 7:43am

Time to try clusterbusters perhaps?

IP Logged

jaysbiggestfan
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 11:07am

We are not very familiar with the clusterbusters. Though are open to any suggestions. He has tried imitrex and we have ruled out PH, the DHE was given 1mg at a time IM for a total of no more that 3mg a day over the course of a 1yr  or 1yr and a half, he has also tried the predinose high dose with the tapper down and will decrease his attacks for a day or so but we jsut go back to square one. There has not been  any DR. to suggest that he be addmited into the hospital they all just say we have to deal with it. We have been to  a headache center in southern california, but only a neurologist at UCSF, I would love the names or e-mail addresses of anyone that may help us. Thank you so  much , Nichole

jaysbiggestfan....

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 2:12pm

What was his dosage for verapamil?

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Also, has he had his blood tested for his levels of testosterone and cortisol?  Many clusterheads test low for testosterone, and, in some cases, administration of testosterone helps improve the situation:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 3:22pm

DHE IV q8hrs over a period of several days (usually in the hospital) has normally worked for most (not all). The IM doses are only about 50% effective (according to my neuro).

How is he using the O2?  You said it works till he takes off the mask?
It needs to be at least 15 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask. 25 liters per minute is better. Stay on it for a few minutes after the headache subsides.

Has he tried some Red Bull with the O2? (This has helped me with some really bad ones).

Get him to a neuro who knows what he's doing. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING ELSE to try!!!

Has he tried topamax (ok some have had bad side effects, but...). It was the ONE thing that helped me when NOTHING would work and I'd tried EVERYTHING including surgery. It was brand new and  I just happened to hear about it about the same time my neuro did. It worked immediately and I've been "sane" and almost normal ever since - at least I can cope now and at that time - I was a basket case.

What I'm getting at is YOU DON'T GIVE UP cause you don't know what's gonna come out tomorrow...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 6:51pm

BarbaraD wrote on Nov 12th, 2008 at 3:22pm:
and I've been "sane" and almost normal ever since -

NOPE!!!  Ain't a'gonna do it, or say it ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

Nope ...

SOME ONE tie my hands behind my back!!!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:08pm

If the meds are not working for you go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, he has nothing to lose . Be Well.. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:11am

Nichole, has your husband tried energy drinks? I saw that BarbaraD mentioned that option earlier, but I haven't seen your reply yet. If your husband has not tried energy drinks yet, he should give them a chance as well.

All the best and Pf days to Jay,
Sanna

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 4:56pm

BarbaraD wrote on Nov 12th, 2008 at 3:22pm:
...How is he using the O2?  You said it works till he takes off the mask?
It needs to be at least 15 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask. 25 liters per minute is better. Stay on it for a few minutes after the headache subsides....

Another suggestion that has worked for some is to not stop the 02 immediately, but to slowly take down the flow rate from the 15 lpm or 25 lpm to 0 over a period of about 10 minutes rather than just abruptly stopping it.

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #17 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:19pm

coach_bill wrote on Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:08pm:
If the meds are not working for you go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, he has nothing to lose . Be Well.. Coach Bill

nicole i've been were jay is at several times. i have been episodic since i was 12. the cycle before last i lost my job and busted up all the furniture in the house. tables, chairs, lamps, you name it. i even tore apart my couch and love seat with my bare hands. that was 6 years ago. i didn't know what a cluster headache was let alone the this site existed.

last cycle i didn't have insurance. (my cycles are spread out over a few years) deep into my cycle it got to the point were i didn't feel safe driving my truck. i wasn't getting any sleep and no matter how hard i tried to keep a grip on my sanity, it was slipping through my fingers like fine sand. thats when i decided to use the cluster buster treatment. since i couldn't drive i hung out at the house and i dosed. about 10 days after i dosed my attacks had tapered down to migraines. in 14 days i was pain free.

the fact that you are here is an assurance that jay is going to make it through this. it's not going to be easy by any means but it is possible to survive with chronic ch.

IP Logged

jaysbiggestfan
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 1:08pm

Thank you all again for your support..
To answer the questions, Jay has energy drinks readily available, he uses the O2 15-20 Liters for about 7-10 after the attack stops if time permits ( work ) , we are now living in a small town in southern oregon and there are only 2 nuerology groups and neither one will send him to a pain clinic because we do not want anymore narcotics and unless we travel 5 hrs away they do not do the injections here. we have tries ALL of the migraine drugs along with the others and none seem to work for a period of time greater than one hour. The doctors here have refused to admit him into the hospital for  IV DHE.
We are now looking at the clusterbusters as suggested. I don't mean to sound like I am griping..... well I guess I am. I am beyond frustrated and my husband is slowly changing into a man I no longer know. He is very mean and sometimes hateful ( though not hateful to me or the kids) he is miserable and the healthcare industry dose not care. I  work in the OR and can never imagine treting my patients this way or giving up on them so soon. He feels so alone ............

I ordered RC seeds and will post the results.

XXXXXXXhugsXXXXXXX
and big thanks, Nichole

jaysbiggestfan....

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 2:11pm

Hi Nichole,

Thanks again for being such a good supporter.

DonnaH_again posted a link to a study on Testerone therapy and chronic CH.  You might want to take a look...

Has Jay had his levels checked?

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!