Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
am i... (Read 5554 times)
ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
am i...
Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:28pm

starting to catch on? you can never really sleep while in a cycle? ive been reading, alot. if the beast hits more at nigth, with sleep and the not producing enough melatonin, just stay awake as long as possible? i'm trying guys, i am.

life is great clean. thanks NA and rehab. clean date August 4, 2010
chris_kels 420chris420 cohen.chris@ymail.com  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: am i...
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:37pm

Fact is Chris the body can't go very long without sleep.  For me, lack of regular sleep only makes things worse. 

See once my prevent is up to a theraputic level I don't get many night hits.  But if I miss a few hours of sleep ... well then things kinda get out of balance again.  The beast loves a lack of balance.

Having said that, remember, everyone is different...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:38pm

You're looking good, Chris!

One thing that I tried, and it worked well for me for a while, is try sleeping on the floor, or in your recliner or something other than your bed.  My theory was (and it may be totally screwed up and out in left field) that by NOT sleeping in your bed, you would not sleep as deeply, and maybe not reach the REM stage of sleep as quickly, and therefore not have as many, or severe hits.

I have done it so much, that it does not work as well, because, according to my theory, I can sleep just as soundly on the floor, in my computer chair, or even in one of my wooden kitchen chairs, that I DO sleep soundly, and DO reach the REM stage of sleep.

BUT, it did work for a while!

A side bar to this, I get hit so often, that I have now trained my body so that as long as I get 3 hours sleep, during a 24 hour period, I am fine.

Either that, or I am just to old, mean and crotchety to sleep!  LOL

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Scott Lawrence
CH.com Junior

Full Time Fighter Since
Nov 5th 2008

Mitcham, London
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:41pm

Try to sleep at night, and if you do have to dance, once the beast has left try to get to sleep again.
The next day try to go to bed a little earlier to catch up.
I definately would not try to catch up with my sleep during the day, I have in the past, and within 15/20 mins of waking up, the beast hits again....

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
“I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worth while.”
Scott Lawrence 652942399  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:43pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:38pm:
Either that, or I am just to old, mean and crotchety to sleep!  LOL

Yea... I'm going with that  Tongue

-Dennis-

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Chris, I try and get as much sleep as possible while in cycle, as some nights maybe as little as one to two hours worth but I will take it.
Like Dennis, my prevent (Verapamil) takes care of most of my hits, but if I miss taking the verap or off balance my system, then WHAM!!! Smiley
Keep reading and learning, we are here for you. Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:52pm

does seratonin have anything to do with the beast? because, hear me out, when i did alot of extacy years ago i went a year w/out a visit from the beast. this was after my last "roll" (dose of x). i did it for a summer and then it was a year before he returned. a doc i was seeing told me that MDMA did have tharaputic uses. just a question.

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I've tried messing with my sleep in this cycle since I get hit more at night.  So far I haven't found any trick, unfortunately.  I have no idea when and how I get to sleep through the night.

I've never had any kind of a "sleep pattern" all my life.  When my body needs sleep, that's when I sleep however long I need to.  While I was in long remission in the past few years, my sleep was more messed up than ever for a certain reason and by choice.

This time I've added melatonin, currently 12 mg.  CH doesn't wake me up maybe once a week, and that's about it.  I've tried setting the alarm to avoid the first REM sleep which never worked!  CH wakes me up anyway whenever I have the "first" REM phase. My next experiment was to vary the "bed time".  No matter what time I go to bed (10 PM, 3 AM, 7 AM, whatever), CH wakes me up anyway in 1.5-2 hours of falling asleep.

Many find "keeping a regular sleep" is essential, and adding melatonin helps lessen the night time attacks.

To answer your question........"stay awake as long as possible" does work for me to a certain extent.  Not a recommended method, I would imagine.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:05pm

Seratonin has a lot to do with it.  Lots of the meds we use mimick seratonin and bind to various receptors in the brain.  Keep reading...

BTW: In no way am I suggesting that rolling is a good choice.  Stick with the less mind altering options.  They're much more effective and have fewer side effects.  Ex can really f you up.  Besides, no one looks good with a binky hanging out of their mouth.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:14pm

my brain can't afford to look at another hit of x. i wasn't implying that. i was just wondering about seratonin, since i was learning about how our brains don't produce enough melatonin. that was it. im trying to get clean after 20 years yall. its been a drug induced haze. not cool. i barely remember watching my son being born, and i was standing right there.

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:15pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 3:38pm:

One thing that I tried, and it worked well for me for a while, is try sleeping on the floor, or in your recliner or something other than your bed.  My theory was (and it may be totally screwed up and out in left field) that by NOT sleeping in your bed, you would not sleep as deeply, and maybe not reach the REM stage of sleep as quickly, and therefore not have as many, or severe hits.

Funny you mentioned it, Chuck........I kind of hesitated to share my theory.

My computer chair is sort of a lounge chair that can be flattened (kinda makes a bed since it's full-length).  I often pass out at my desk since it's reclined and comfy.  I don't sleep TOO well on this chair, but I rarely get a CH. I tried a different bed, and CH wakes me up less frequently.

One theory for me, is to keep my head slightly elevated, or sleep in different spots where I'm not in my usual bad "sleep posture", namely on my stomach.  I think that helps the blood circulation in my bad neck & shoulder on the cluster side.  What I've found out is that when my neck & shoulder are tight and rock-hard, I get more attacks or end up with a nagging shadow all day long that can explode with a slightest trigger.

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:19pm

my girlfriend is not gonna like this one. me not sleeping in bed next to her.. not gonna be good in my house. im gonna try sleeping on the couch tonight. ive got plywood under the cusions.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:24pm

ChefChris wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:14pm:
my brain can't afford to look at another hit of x. i wasn't implying that. i was just wondering about seratonin, since i was learning about how our brains don't produce enough melatonin. that was it. im trying to get clean after 20 years yall. its been a drug induced haze. not cool. i barely remember watching my son being born, and i was standing right there.

Keep reading Chris, you're doing fine  Cool

-Dennis-

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:31pm

ChefChris wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:19pm:
my girlfriend is not gonna like this one. me not sleeping in bed next to her.. not gonna be good in my house. im gonna try sleeping on the couch tonight. ive got plywood under the cusions.

You gotta do what you gotta do.  Your girlfriend should understand.  
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:32pm by flipperlips »  

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:36pm

i didnt say she has to like it. if it keeps the beast away then fuck it, im sleepn' in the "dog house" Smiley

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #15 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:37pm

my girlfriend is not gonna like this one. me not sleeping in bed next to her.

Take care of the "nookie" first, and THEN go sleep on the couch ...  Do it well enough, and she will be so exhausted, she won't notice you aren't there ...

Chuck, the sex therapist

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #16 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:38pm

Smiley

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:40pm

i havent had sex since this cycle started, now that i think about it. sometimes its a trigger for me. sound crazy? its true.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:40pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:37pm:
my girlfriend is not gonna like this one. me not sleeping in bed next to her.

Take care of the "nookie" first, and THEN go sleep on the couch ...  Do it well enough, and she will be so exhausted, she won't notice you aren't there ...

Chuck, the sex therapist

LMFAO  Grin

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:45pm

ChefChris wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:40pm:
sometimes its a trigger for me. sound crazy? its true.

An orgasm has always been one of the few things that are a trigger for me.  My VERY first attack, was right after the "Magic Moment"

But since then, I keep testing it (just for scientific purposes, mind you) to see if it still is a trigger ... So far, it is, but I will keep testing it to make sure ...

Researcher Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:55pm

i can't wait til this cycle is over. and i KNOW she is ready for it to be to. she hasn't had any lovn' except for a hug, kiss and and i love you everyday. but she is a strong woman, a good woman who understands what is going on with me. one of the few on the "outside". and she's only 23. thats crazy. just crazy. but i love her so much. she is my angel. God put us together for a reason, im sure of it!! id be dead if it wasnt for her. she is my rock. for the first time in my life i have someone who cares right beside me. after a dance ill get in bed and she'll roll over and try to cuddle with me and ask if im ok, if i need anything. a truly amazing woman.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:13pm

Nothing beats a good loving supporter!  She has a harder job, than we do, if you can believe it!

She should sign up on the board too.  There is a special section here for the supporters.  She would get a lot out of it, AND she can talk with those that are in the same boat as she is.

Treat her well, and treasure her.

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:19pm

i tell her EVERY day in a cycle or not how special she is and how much she means to me. im a blessed man in that aspect.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:26pm

Angie, my wife, is my rock and best supporter Smiley Your girlfriend can talk to her any time she wants, it really helps.

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ChefChris
CH.com Veteran

Virginia Beach, Va
Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:30pm

how would kelsey go about that, because sometimes she gets over whelmed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!