Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exercise and high dose Verapamil (Read 1337 times)
mhadley
CH.com Newbie

Exercise and high dose Verapamil
Nov 3rd, 2008 at 2:16pm

Hi, all.  I'm on high dose verapamil (960mg/day) and have been pretty much constantly for about 3 years.  It's been a life saver because I've been 99% CH free the entire time.  But when I try to taper off the CHs come back so my neurologist keeps me on it all year round.
The only side effect I've noticed is a very slow heart rate.

Anyway, I've been off exercising since my first son was born about 5 years ago and I'm trying to get back into exercising every day (need to lose a few pounds).  I've seen my GP and he's given me an EKG and I'm scheduled for a full physical.

Does anyone have experience with exercising while on high dose verapamil with the associated slow heart rate?  Any advice other than going to see my GP and getting a workup?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Exercise and high dose Verapamil
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:05pm

You've taken the correct steps. Print out this report for your doc.

With a low heart rate you may find your exercise capacity is reduced. Ask the doc.
=============
Source: American Academy of Neurology
Date: August 13, 2007
More on: Headache Research, Headaches, Pharmacology, Heart Disease, Diseases and Conditions, Vioxx

Drug For Cluster Headaches May Cause Heart Problems
Science Daily — A drug increasingly used to prevent cluster headaches can cause heart problems, according to a study published in the August 14, 2007, issue of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology. Those taking the drug verapamil for cluster headaches should be closely monitored with frequent electrocardiograms (EKGs) for potential development of irregular heartbeats.

Cluster headache is a rare, severe form of headache that is more common in men. The attacks usually occur in cyclical patterns, with frequent attacks over weeks or months generally followed by a period of remission when the headaches stop.

"The benefit of taking verapamil to alleviate the devastating pain of cluster headaches has to be balanced against the risk of causing a heart abnormality that could progress into a more serious problem," said study author Peter Goadsby, MD, PhD, DSc, of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London, UK, and the University of California, San Francisco and a member of the American Academy of Neurology.

The study involved 108 people with an average age of 44. The participants started taking verapamil and then had an EKG and an increase in the dosage of the drug every two weeks until the headaches were stopped or they started having side effects.

A total of 21 patients, or 19 percent, had problems with the electrical activity of the heart, or irregular heartbeats, while taking the drug. Most of the cases were not considered serious; however, one person required a permanent pacemaker due to the problem. A total of 37 percent of the participants had slower than normal heart rates while on the drug, but the condition was severe enough to warrant stopping the use of the drug in only four cases.

Goadsby noted that 217 people taking the drug were initially supposed to take part in the study, but 42 percent of them did not have the EKGs done to monitor their heart activity. "Many of them said either they or their local services were reluctant to undertake such frequent tests, or they were not aware of the need for the heart monitoring," he said. "Since this drug is relatively new for use in cluster headaches, it's possible that some health care providers are not aware of the problems that can come with its use."

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by American Academy of Neurology.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:34pm

I use 400mg of Verapamil when in cycle.  I found it does affect my target HR numbers by lowering them.  I used to shoot for 150-160bpm in a cardio workout.  Now I'm happy with 120-130 and I know I'm working at the same level.  After starting Verap My resting HR went from 65 down to 50.

So, instead of sticking to formula go by how you feel.  If you're working as hard as you can, you've there.  I don't care what the numbers say.

Beware dizziness.  Getting real dizzy from lack of blood flow while running your ass off on a treadmill is a bad combination. Shocked  Getting back on the horse I found dizziness was an issue.  I overcame that with some patients both with the workouts and my inner voice (which always says floor it  Roll Eyes )

Don't let that scare you off though. You'll soon get the hang of it.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 8:01am

I take 720 a day, exercise regularly and I have not noticed any adverse effects.  Best of luck. 

IP Logged

Whipsmart
CH.com Junior

Hipster Doofus

Mason, MI USA
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 10:25am

I'm on 640 a day.  I started getting back into working out slowly at the beginning of the year.  I walked everyday for two months.  Then I mixed in running.  By April, it was running four days a week.

During the summer I was up to 25 miles per week.  My body didn't like that as much, but it wasn't cluster related.  My shins don't hold up like they used to.  Now I'm doing 12-15 miles a week and some light weight training at the gym.

If I was trying to be competitive I might complain.  Since I'm not, I'll just be happy with the 20 lbs I lost this year.   Cool

My doc has my do an EKG at least once a year.  So far so good.  I don't know what my resting hear rate was before I started exercising again, but now it's 54.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:00am

I am not on as a high a dose as some of you's but my dose of Verapamil is 480mg daily and I am a very active person with work, mountain biking, snow shoveling ect. It sure feels like dragging something heavy behind me but I still do just fine with my activities.

I monitor my BP regularly and it is fairly normal, and I know when not to push anymore, my body tells me when enough is enough. Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 1:16pm

I'm completly off of Vrap and still can't get my fat ass on the treadmill.
There goes that excuse.
                                     JPC

IP Logged

mhadley
CH.com Newbie

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 11:50pm

Thanks everyone.  I've been doing 45 minutes every weekday morning and doing fine.  Keeping care not to overdue it.  Even shed a few pounds.  And thanks BobJohnson for the article.  I'll ask my GP if I can just have a regular appointment for the EKG.  (Last one was fine.)

IP Logged

robbyson
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 11:16am

i use verapmil now ...i lift weights every day ....just keep on going ...i dont care about the effects ... ready to die anyways
....wish u th Cheesye best ...just enjoy your workout ...dont over do it ,...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!