Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K3-4 constant. Anyone else? (Read 3196 times)
Buddyjay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

K3-4 constant. Anyone else?
Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:34pm

First a little background. I have been a CH sufferer for 35 years. The last eight years (3 cycles), I have used Imitrex pills with great success. I would get severe K7-9 and the Imitrex would kick in, in about 15-20 minutes.
Occasionally, I would get a mild k3-4 which would last about 6 hours.
This cycle, the last two days, thats all I am getting 24/7. When the Imitrex wears off (4-5 hours), they start right up again (rebound headaches?). But the differance is that these (K3-4), although manageable, WILL NOT GO AWAY.
This morning I tried to not take the pill, but after 5 hours, I was going crazy and took it. After the pill wears off, the K3's come right back AND WILL NOT GO AWAY. In fact the Imitrex is taking up to an hour now to work.
Granted, I am somewhat relieved that these are not the K7-9, but still...
Anyone else have this happen to them?
Thanks again for the help.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:23am by Buddyjay »  

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: K3-4 constant. Anyone else?
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:39pm

Buddy,

For those shadows go out and buy some Dristan 4-way nasel spray and use it in the affected side.

It has help me and several others here with persistant shadows.   If it doesn't help you, there's no harm done and it just may unclog  a stuffy nasel passage in the process.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:48pm

Buddyjay wrote on Oct 21st, 2008 at 4:33pm:
In 2004 I used Imitrex which helped tremendously; but I know they gave me re-bound headaches.
This time, I am going to try and skip the Imitrex and go it alone.

I think it's time you started looking for a new abortive.  Too much Imitrex leads to hell son.  You knew that in '04.  Looks like it still holds true.

Try slamming an energy drink and chase that with strong coffee.

Monday morning find yourself a Dr who will perscribe you some Oxygen.  If you are one of the luck 70% of folks this works for you'll drastically reduce your consumption of Imitrex.

Last cycle I only used 3 shots.  I abort all my attacks with O2.  Occasionally the O2 won't do it and then and only then do I turn to my liquid gold stockpile.

Check out the threads on O2 that are stickied at the top of the meds board.  That's a good place to get started.

Read up and ask any questions you still have.

Good luck my cluster brother...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:09pm

I have the constant k2-4 it sucks and makes o2 nearly imposable to use for me,  I dont take imi for the k2-4 and o2 wont kill it.  I drink alot of coffee and it seems to help a little but the imi always makes it worse,  I take imi 3-5 times a day though.
  I wish I had a answer for you that would help,   Phil

IP Logged

billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:00pm

After my last episode, I had/have the same problem... Constant low grade, mostly cluster side HA.  Doc said I was in cluster remission and had something else, but didn't label it.  He prescribed gabapentin and it has really helped.  Unfortunately, a year later, I think the clusters are coming back.  Might want to check with your doc.

Bill

IP Logged

gore2424
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:07pm

Since I turned chronic in Nov 1999 I have 3-4 pain level 24/7 with the current meds I take. And when gets to 7 or above I am allowed (12)per month of  10 mg morphine shots to take them back down to my 3-4 level.  This has been working for me the last almost 4 years.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:09pm

Yep the friggin shadow. Staying active helps alleviate some of it.

Hey Phil, your doing way to much imitrex. Your in rebound hell aren't you. Man that sucks. Get that neuro to take care of that. Man I've been there and it's not a good place. One step ahead of the demon.
good battles to all
the bb

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:37pm

Hi, Buddy.  I'm an episodic for 25 years.  Verapamil for prevention and O2 + Imitrex for abortive.

Everybody's response to any given med is different, so you'd have to experiment for yourself.

What dose of Imitrex are you using?

For me, if the nagging pressure/pain lasts, that's an indication of one attack not being aborted completely but dragging.  It can hurt me in  full force in no time with a trigger or over some time.  So
if all possible
, my head needs to be totally pain-free and CLEAR to avoid a re-attack in a short period of time.  I put myself together, go about my business, and get ready for the next attack.

Imitrex has been a wonder drug for me, except I do get a bad side effect (nausea) over a certain dose.  Rebound is of course possible, if Imitrex is taken too much/too often, and it can lose its efficacy over time (needing more and more).  To me, less than 1/3 a shot (about 1.5 insulin units) is more effective than 50 mg pill, and it works to kill it completely hell of a lot faster.

O2 is a bit tricky for me.  A high flow rate can abort the pain completely and rather quickly (even 8 L can do the job, just takes longer), but often O2 alone can lead to a re-attack in 1-1.5 hours. So the best combo for me, if my stomach can take it, is to use Imitrex at as low a dose as possible to be effective along with O2.

I happen to respond very well to the text-book conventional treatment as long as I don't throw up on Imitrex.  I'm pretty diligent with my diet and supplements as well during episodes, to protect my heart, brain cells (or what's left up there), and everything else.  Everybody's phenotype is different, so I do hope you'll find the right combo of "stuff" that works best for your case.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:37pm

Quote:
Yep the friggin shadow. Staying active helps alleviate some of it.

Hey Phil, your doing way to much imitrex. Your in rebound hell aren't you. Man that sucks. Get that neuro to take care of that. Man I've been there and it's not a good place. One step ahead of the demon.
good battles to all
the bb

Way to much imi Shocked got a neuro appt Tue 11/4

Gore I agree I had this k2-4 for three years now since I became chronic but I didn't want to scare BUDDYJAY,  I stopped the morphine a long time ago though I dont think tons of imi is good either.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:47am

Too much Trex (sounds like rebounds big time).

I'm an O2 "pusher". For years I used trex and then ergotomine (still keep ergotomine around for EMERGENCY use only), but have found that O2 used RIGHT will almost always abort, not only the headaches but the shadows as well.

Now to find out if the O2 is going to work properly in place of too much Trex, you'll have to come down off the trex. This will be painful (trex is kinda like an addiction especially the doses you've been taking). It sorta depends on how much pain you're willing to endure to get "down".

For me, a few high Kips were worth getting off the dependency and getting on O2. I can't remember when I've had to have an abort except for the O2 (maybe a Red Bull occasionally with the O2) in a long time. But there was some PAIN involved in getting here.

I'm not saying get off the trex completely - just cut down. You're taking way too much.. and that's not a good thing for you.

Oh and get on a good "prevent" to help "avoid" the hits or at least keep them at bay.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Buddyjay
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:30am

Thanks for all the great replies. Let me mention that I have been taking 4 (50mg) Imitrex per day. Which seems to be well in the allowed RX (200mg max). The neuro has kept an eye on me with this dose.
Years ago, I tried the O2 but although it worked, about 20 minutes after I was off it, the CH came back. So I haven't tried it since (8 years).
My CH's all seem to do that. It's as if they have a mind of their own.
Quote CH "Well I see you took some meds to avoid us. Okay... We'll just wait until they wear off and will be back" Grin
I would like to take less Imitrex (pills) but they do help.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:48am

Hey Buddy,  If o2 worked in the past try it again this time try to stay on it for 5-10 minutes after the pain is gone this seems to keep it away longer,  I will be going back to o2 when I can get rind of these "shadows".  200mg imi a day is the max and thats what your taking I am doing the same or even a little more but now that I have been doing it for a long while the imi doesn't knock out the pain completely it only reduces it from a 7-8kip to a 5-6kip hopfully your cycle will end before this happens to you but imi tends to prolong a cycle.
     Hope you find some pf time soon,  Phil

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:18pm

Quote:
(12)per month of  10 mg morphine shots to take them back down to my 3-4 level.  This has been working for me the last almost 4 years.

Terry, have you been reading about Svenns situation on the general board?

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

gore2424
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 8:03pm

Hi Linda I have caught up on Svenns situation and its not even close to the same here trust me and even my wife who is a CNA who works at the hospital on the Neuro science floor would know if I was addicted and would of get me help so please dont worry I have no addiction I get (12) max shots per month and can have only 3 in a 24 hour period which in almost 4 years have had to do 6 times and its more like every 30-40 days I get them and twice have gone two month before I needed them. I only call when down to 2 shots and it takes 48 hours to refill from my neuro. Its the 75mcg/hr fentanyl patches that I wear to keep my chronic clusters down to a 3-4 pain level 24/7 that when and if I go back to episotic or no more clusters that I will then have to step down on doses and detox under hospital care.  Terry

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:45pm

Buddyjay wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:30am:
Thanks for all the great replies. Let me mention that I have been taking 4 (50mg) Imitrex per day. Which seems to be well in the allowed RX (200mg max). The neuro has kept an eye on me with this dose.

I think that with that dose you're in rebound hell as well. The max dose of imi per day might be 200mg, but it's probably not thought of so that you continuously use the 200mg per day every day. I don't think it's a drug which has been designed with CH in mind.

I believe that by detoxing you could drastically alleviate your constant headaches. Detoxing is very hard both physically, as you get a lot of pain, and also psychologically. Still it's possible and definitely worth it in the end.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 12:56pm

Quote:
I think that with that dose you're in rebound hell as well. The max dose of imi per day might be 200mg, but it's probably not thought of so that you continuously use the 200mg per day every day. I don't think it's a drug which has been designed with CH in mind.

It may be your using an abortive as a prevent. Way too much trex in any case.
sure it is within the recommended max dosage but still too much. The beast will find a way around anything being used constantly.
Hope the best for all of you whatever you do.
the bb

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Quote:
Its the 75mcg/hr fentanyl patches that I wear to keep my chronic clusters down to a 3-4 pain level 24/7 that when and if I go back to episotic or no more clusters that I will then have to step down on doses and detox under hospital care. 

You will then have to detox, huh?   Roll Eyes

Those Fentanyl patches have been causing deaths and of course the resultant law suits from the families.  My daughter-in-law, a lawyer is working on  muti-billion dolllar lawsuits as of this moment.

Terry, you do what you have to do. That's YOUR business. What angers me more than you will ever know... is when folks come on here talking about using Morphine, percoset, Vicodin and all the rest and NEWCOMERS who are desperate....thinking that is the way to relieve the pain of CH.

I've been chronic for over 21 years.  Never took any of that shit.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

gore2424
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:10pm

Chill out Linda I didnt mean to get ya upset "you know everyone is different how they handle thier pain with these clusters". I could write about what I have gone thur tried , failed, ETC. to get where/why I am on these meds BUT I dont want to Hijack the thread so I will just bow out now and not tell my story ok. Terry (never ever want to upset anyone or lead them down the wrong path)

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 11:17pm

Quote:
(never ever want to upset anyone or lead them down the wrong path)

and THAT is what I'll be happy about.

Linda, who is now chillin

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 10:26pm

All of us who suffer with CH deal with the pain in our own ways. This is the way of the land. Healthy discusions and exchanging ideas must continue in the name of progress. I am seeing this here, please DO NOT STOP.

I have great success with oxygen but it does fail me. It did this morining, resulting in a Kip-10 that I had to abort with a DHE shot in the muscle. I also use Stadol NS for CH to stop myself from vomiting. Imitrex and triptans do not work for me. The only one of my abortives I recomend to anyone else is oxygen.

My true goal is to someday only abort with oxygen and I hope to find the right perventative combo to make this happen. Do you think this is possible???           ,Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 10:31pm

Hang in there Don I think we are all working on that,  as for myself I will never stop till I reach that.

Phil

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 11:48pm

Anything is Possible Don.
Keep lookin

Goes for you too Phil

JPC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!