Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen Question ... (Read 2534 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Oxygen Question ...
Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:00pm

A fellow sufferer sent me a PM asking the following question, and I don't think I have ever heard of this, in all our discussions about O2 usage:

Quote:
Chuck the oxygen is burning my tongue up. I can sure live with it but I thought you might know a fix.

Have any of you ever experienced this?  I have chatted with several O2 "pushers" and none of us have run across this, yet.

Any one ever experienced that?

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Re: Oxygen Question ...
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 2:24pm

Never heard of it. That person should see their doc.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:41pm

A little dry maybe but never "burned". Prednisone? That's new to me. Maybe on it far too long, like fell asleep?.  , Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:22pm

Chuck,

I've been using oxygen therapy with a mouthpiece for my cluster headaches for nearly 3 years at much higher flow rates than most folks and I've never had that or any other problem except an occasional dry mouth...  I also spent over 3,000 hours breathing 100% oxygen while flying Navy fighters at high flow rates as well...  No problems there either.

At this point, I'm more like Pavlov's dogs.  When I turn on the oxygen, my mouth starts to water...  

His problem sounds more like tongue bite to me...  Is he smoking a pipe?

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

wewcaj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:07pm

It was me that presented this question to Chuck. I no longer smoke at all.I have wonderd if it's maybe the predisone causing it also. It happens every cycle as if my tatse buds are burned. Then clears up when the headaches go away. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the oxygen. So far this cycle the oxygen has been a godsend. And as we all know most other shit is really minor when dealing with these beasts.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:09pm by wewcaj »  

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:30pm

All I can think is maybe get a bubbler/humidifier if you dont have one. That and keep the doc informed. I hate it for ya.
thebb

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:41pm

It's the Prednisone. Happens to me , you are developing Thrush on your tongue. What will help this is a prescriptions for Nystatin* mouth wash.

Without Nystatin my tastbuds start to come off after long bursts of pred. It can get pretty bad. That is the problem. Call you Dr. and get some, there are no home treatments for Thrush.            Best, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wewcaj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:53pm

Thanks , I will call my Doctor. It is amazing how much a man can learn from collective knowledge.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I notice this a little also.  I think it is extreme dryness.  I don't take pred.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 9:00pm

Skyhawk5 wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:41pm:
A little dry maybe but never "burned". Prednisone? That's new to me. Maybe on it far too long, like fell asleep?.  , Don

Huh?

Skyhawk5 wrote on Oct 27th, 2008 at 3:41pm:
It's the Prednisone. Happens to me , you are developing Thrush on your tongue. What will help this is a prescriptions for Nystatin* mouth wash.

Without Nystatin my tastbuds start to come off after long bursts of pred. It can get pretty bad. That is the problem. Call you Dr. and get some, there are no home treatments for Thrush.            Best, Don

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2008 at 9:01pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 10:30pm

Thrush is a Fungal infection (Candida). I get it from Prednisone due to an alergic type reaction. I was told by my Dr. there are no home treatments, I just read that rinsing the mouth with yogurt for a minute or so is a home treatment.

When I saw that wewcaj is taking Pred. the flag popped up. Before I knew what was happening I had pieces of skin coming off of my tongue and went to the dentist pronto. Now the Dr. gives a Rx with the pred., but I still have some discomfort.  Best, Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:34am

My Mom and Grandmother always swore "buttermilk" was good for thrush (Yuck!!). Yogart sounds better than "buttermilk"!  Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 10:15pm

BD, My  My Mother used to drink buttermilk. One day I asked for a glass of milk and she gave me the buttermilk instead, and I puked for days. Yeck!!!!! Awful stuff. I'll stick with the Nystatin. I don't like yogurt either.

Best, Don

Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:02am

Hey Wewcaj,

Hang in there... A dry mouth is a small price to pay for an effective abortive...  Keep some ice water or your favorite cold beverage handy when you're huffing and puffing on oxygen therapy.

As one of the "Oxygen Pushers," I'm confident that oxygen therapy at higher flow rates is still far more effective in aborting cluster headache attacks than some folks think. On top of that, I hear from a lot of cluster headache sufferers who have tried oxygen therapy for the first time or who tried it unsuccessfully in the past, now saying it works and they wish they had started using it sooner. 

Yes,  there will always be a few who are truly caught between a rock and a hard place due to other medical conditions that prevent oxygen therapy from helping them shoot the beast and send it running. Many of them will need the aid of another abortive to end the pain of their attacks. For the rest who use this therapy properly, at a high enough flow rate, and at the first sign of a pending attack when possible, the results are very impressive.

I'm not a doctor, but I'll put oxygen therapy up against the side effects of the other abortive medications any day...  It's important that all of us ask our doctors and neurologists about the risks and rewards associated with any medication prescribed or over the counter.  Ask specifically about the immediate and long term side effects.  

While you're waiting to see your doctor or neurologist... Google it...

Here are the results of two Internet queries where I used the following search terms including quotes for the first query: Oxygen "Cluster Headache" "Side Effects" and then exchanged Imitrex for Oxygen in the second query.

9,920 for [Oxygen "Cluster Headache" "Side Effects"]
11,100 for [Imitrex "Cluster Headache" "Side Effects"]

Granted, a simple Internet query like this should not be used as the basis for choosing one abortive over another, but it is a good starting point for discussions with your doctor.  That said, there is still an order of magnitude more articles on Imitrex side effects than there are on Oxygen.  Food for thought.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!