Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex hell.......... (Read 1221 times)
MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Imitrex hell..........
Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:59am

For some reason, I developed Imitrex intolerance/sensitivity after I used injections in one episode when it first came out (15 years ago?).  It does work like a magic, but any more than 1/3 a shot makes me throw up in no time (but aborts the CH).  Yes, I'd rather throw up than put up with the pain.  But exhaustion from the pain AND vomiting is something I want to avoid if all possible.

Since then I've found out 100mg tablets cut in quarters can abort the HA in less than half an hour, while O2 is suppressing the pain.  About a week ago, I jacked it up to two 1/4 pieces, about 40-60mg.  I thought, oh crap, now 1/4 a pill doesn't work too well.  My stomach got upset a couple of days ago, and I had a baaaad feeling about it.

Tonight while I was typing a different post which I never finished, I felt one coming on.  Got up, nuked coffee, took two 1/4 Imitrex, and started O2 in the kitchen.  Less than 10 minutes later, I threw up everything I had for dinner.  Needless to say, I had to leave the O2 while throwing up into the kitchen sink.  Crap again.  My E tank is almost empty.  Yelled at DH who was blasting the movie volume in his room.  He eventually heard me to change the tank for me.  I felt like rolling around on the kitchen floor.

Moved to the bedroom, DH followed me with O2.  NOT WORKING.  Afraid to take anymore Imitrex.  After half an hour, I stopped my last tank of O2 to conserve it until Monday.  Took another 1/4 Imitrex.  Was I having attacks back-to-back??  I went through freezing and sweating repeatedly (I'm not menopausal!).  Now it's been almost 7 hours since the first onset, and I still have a low-grade pain lingering.  Took a small bite of ice cream.  Thinking about another 1/4 pill.

I'm miserable.

We're between insurance until December.  DH checked with the airgas place and found out that the E tank refill is $75 (what a joke).  Purchasing a 50 CF welder's O2 tank is $130 (comes full), with $30 to refill.  I'd need a different regulator, but it sounds like that's the way to go.

Usually after the CH takes its "course", my head is clear as if nothing happened, and I get to sleep like a baby from exhaustion.  I can't get rid of this pressure in my skull this time........actually this is the second time in this episode.  Very very depressing.

Just venting.....

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Imitrex hell..........
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:19am

MrsT,

Check your PM.  There are some excellent options that will help make your oxygen therapy very effective.

Take Care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:21am

That's WAAAY too much for a REFIL on an E-tank. Call around for a different supplier....

Pay attention to Batch... He knows his O2.

Hope you're better soon.

Hugs BD

P.S. Might try chugging some Red Bull at onset.

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:37am

Such significant side effects demands contact with your physician.

Suggest you print out the first of these links and use it as a tool to discuss options with your doc.

Several of us have had excellent results with Zyprexa (olanzapine) and it works quickly plus has the advantage of pill form and a per dose cost which is less than Imitrex, et al. (Mentioned in the first link.)
=========

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:39am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MaxPayne
CH.com Veteran

x0|Oslo|Norway||0|0|
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:58am

Imitrex can cause rebound headaches, have you tried just laying off it for a coupple of days? It might help. I quit Imitrex all together because of the rebounds and because I believe it prolongs my cycle. I'd rather grit my teeth and do the dance than touch the stuff. The Imitrex pills are a bad idea anyway, you get more of the stuff in you than with nasalspray or injection, and it doesn't really help much for the ongoing attack because it works to slow. Instead it might be rebounding when you really should be painfree. The o2 might be what really aborts your attack while you are waiting for the pill to kick in?

IP Logged

trevor6606
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 12:53pm

ok so i dont suffer from these headaches but my husband dose and we cannot seem to find a doctor that understands what he goes through.  they keep telling us something like migranies or sinus but we know it is clusters i read some of the posts made by people and i didnt think that anyone else was dealing with this to be honest i thought that he was being a "baby" about a little head ache and now that i read i realize somewhat what he is going through!!! and i feel so helpless when he has the "attacks" my 2year old cant understand why daddy cant play and i dont know what to do or say to him his starts every year around the end of sept begining of oct. and he will deal with this off and on for about 2-3 months. he finds little to no releif in that time with 3-5 eppisodes a day now they have been coming on in the middle of the day while he works (on a roof) they used to be only in the evening and middle of the night.  sometimes he can take something and it works for a few days then it is like he becomes immune to whatever med he takes.  the point to this is we live in a very small city out in the middle of no where in ohio what we need is a doctor that knows and understands this condition can anyone help because the small time country doctor cannot!! please help my email address is public and feel free if anyone can help to drop me a line i am not sure how much more he can handle! Cry

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 1:05pm

He can handle it. So can you. You are not helpless and he needs you to be there. If you can find some 02, welders 02 will work. 100% 02 at 15lpm for 15 min should do.You can suck it right out of the hose if you have to. Caffeine and energy drinks can work as well.
Here are some common treatments for CH. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
You will need to get referral to a neuro and get the proper diagnosis and treatment.
Check your PMs
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:59pm

MaxPayne wrote on Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:58am:
Instead it might be rebounding when you really should be painfree. The o2 might be what really aborts your attack while you are waiting for the pill to kick in?

This bad reaction to Imitrex is not the first time; it's the first time from the pill.  I've never used the nasal spray, but injections always gave me the same nausea except for the very first episode with injections.  Seems like I'm getting more and more sensitive to Imitrex.  I myself would rather throw up than put up with the pain though Roll Eyes.

I threw up shortly after I took the pill, so I doubt much got into my system to cause rebound.  Batch has been helping me with the O2, and DH is working on getting me a better regulator/flowmeter.   If the higher flow rate works to abort the CH, I would LOVE to get rid of Imitrex altogether too.  And you're right that we really should be pain-free without prolonging the pain for so many hours.

My theory for this long-lasting pain is that the 8L flow wasn't enough to abort the attack without enough Imitrex.  If O2 alone doesn't completely get me pain-free, it's always been my experience that the low-grade pain prolongs or the beast revives to finish its course.

It'll probably be tomorrow to get the new O2 tank and the regulator.  Can't wait!

IP Logged

TarHeel-blues
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

matthews nc
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 8:30pm

my insurance wouldnt cover my o2 and i just got from medical supplier

1-M tank with 1 15lpm regulator
3-E tanks with 1 15lpm  regulator
all tanks were full
total price $75
i have been chronic for 10 years and have used imitrex inj for all of them but im tired of fighting insurance to be pain free,,so i decided to try o2 because of this place,,i followed the strict guidelines and made sure the supplier gave me what i needed (15lpm) so it would work and not be a waste..well i just used it for the first time and it worked great..i think you should look for a different supplier and keep trying,,and definatly listen to these guys they got me on the right road and i am very greatful for it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!