Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thought i had my dad's support (Read 1499 times)
Cassandra
CH.com Junior

The best thing in my life
is my son!

x0|Riesterstown|USA||0|0|MD,Maryland
Thought i had my dad's support
Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:42pm

So today i was talking to my Parents about my current attacks, and my mom (bless her heart, told me that i should not drive anywhere..and that she wanted to drive me to lunch) and we were talking about how she was going to try and be there as much as she could for me. We discussed the code word for when my attack was coming so that my parents could just take my son, or just not go anywhere.

My dad, said.. " You know Cassandra, I think you are Crying Wolf... I just have never seen you go through one of these"

I was in shock.. I so gently said..that in public i react differently Angry Angry then i do in private. I scream, cry, pace, curse, pull my hair.. But in Public..I Rock, and try to act like nothing is happening. Like it's no big deal. Yea it hurts, but if i can help it, i will go into a bed room and Pace and curse under my breath and not make a big production of it.

My mom said that she was ashamed of my dad..and said that even though she has never seen me in one..she can always tell when i am not feeling good.. and that because she knows that migraines put people on their asses, and that CH's are 10X's worse she can only imagine..

I love my mom.. But i can't believe my dad..I almost want to have an attack in front of him.. but i don't wish that on myself.

WWW http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=searc Cassandra9988 susie152  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: Thought i had my dad's support
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 8:25pm

Yow!!!    Print out the opening page on this site and also the letter from the OUCH site a give that to your Dad.
     I did that for my coworkers telling them I wasn't looking for sympathy but I just wanted to let them know what I was going through just in case the saw me acting a little strange.
     They were all shocked.
     I know if one of my daughters had this problem and showed those pages to me, I would definitely get the message. 
     It's not so much that people, including your Dad, are not sympathetic, but no one could possibly know what we all go through no matter how you try to explain it.
     Hang in there with your Dad.  He just needs to be educated.
                                   JPC

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 10:44am

To shift the topic a bit: have you noticed whether your experience of an attack is different --between being controlled and screaming?

May be an important learning here....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 11:02am

Parents are so often in denial when it comes to their children.....no matter what the circumstances.  I've been guilty of that as a Mother.

Bet your Dad would kill for you if push came to shove.  So often people just don't understand and that doesn't exclude parents, friends, family, etc.  Sad but true.

Hang in there...

Jackie

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 1:59am

Forgive him. Other people just dont, and wont get it. This is to rare to compare with anything ,and even seeing will not convince alot of people ,as there is no blood flowing or guts hanging out.
all the best
Dads rock

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:36am

Let me throw my 2 cents in here. FORGIVE!

I come from a LONG LINE of migraine sufferers, BUT really did not know this UNTIL I was diagnosed with CH. Apparently my grandmother, father and SON all suffered from migraines, but being a person who'd never had a headache an aspirin wouldn't cure (until CH) I (as well as the rest of the family) thought they were "faking". By the time my son was "diagnosed" I had already been diagnosed with CH (and asked if anyone in my family suffered from miagraines to which I answered "no").

To say I felt (and still feel) horrible that I let my "child" suffer with migraines when I could have done something is a mild chastisement. I don't remember my grandmother's headaches that much, but do remember my dad's "sick headaches" (thought they were just to get out of doing something - he always got them when he was stressed as does my son).

So from a parent.... there's no way we'd "knowingly" let our child suffer if we thought we could do something, but sometimes we're just ignorant and unknowing. Give your Dad time and educate him. Sometimes we're just not as smart as you think we should be.

Of course, it's a two way street. When I get hit with a CH - my darling son has a habit of saying, "Gee Mom, it's JUST a headache - why don't you take an aspirin?" Smiley Paybacks are hell...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:38am

Bob Johnson wrote on Oct 25th, 2008 at 10:44am:
To shift the topic a bit: have you noticed whether your experience of an attack is different --between being controlled and screaming?

May be an important learning here....

This was worth repeating.  I for one, find if I can remain as calm as possible the hits usually aren't as severe.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kushka
CH.com Newbie

North Carolina
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 12:41pm

A good question about the severity of the headache being affected by the location.... It reminds me of a quote I once heard - Where attention goes, energy flows.

I think there is a slight difference in the severity if I am in public vs at home.  I find that my relationship to the headache is what makes the difference.  If I am at work or in public, there quite simply isn't the option to start screaming, cursing and crying like a lunatic, no matter how bad the pain gets.   However, sometimes the tears start flowing from one eye no matter how controlled I am trying to be. 

When I am in public, I put my attention on keeping it together, minimizing the pain and getting through it. I deliberately calm and distract myself as much as possible and, with a few exceptions, it does keep the hit from getting as bad.  Rather than hitting an 8 or higher, it might stay down at a 7 - extremely difficult to function through but possible if I give it everything I've got and have no other option, anyway.  I just tell myself I have to get through this so I can get home - and I do.  There have been a few exceptions over the years, of course.

When I am at home, I am not as easily distracted and all my attention goes to the headache.  Rather than fearing losing my composure, I fear the pain.  Where attention goes, energy flows... I put my attention on the pain and it takes over.  I put my attention on maintaining my composure and I can force myself to function through it. 

Kushka

Carlyn

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:37pm

I agree with a lot of people here.

The headaches can be incredibly painful, but getting all freaked out about them doesn't serve much more purpose than to let off steam. That can be an important thing too - after all, they are mentally and physically very draining - but not making a big scene also has it's benefits. For one, you don't get these pitying looks, which I personally really hate Smiley

There have been occasions though when I have HAD to make a scene in public. The attack has just been too painful to remain calm.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:38pm by Ungweliante »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:38pm

Kushka has found the target: working toward a detachment which helps shifts attention from the pain, our suffering, our victimhood [going back to my message several weeks ago on this question], and helping us shape a state of mind which encourages the pain flow around--rather than thru--us.

(A long time ago we had a useful run of messages around this very topic: how do we cope with the attack vs. being controlled by it.)
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:41pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

schlags
CH.com Newbie

x0|Truman|USA||0|0|MN,Minnesota
Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 7:05pm

I think most of us have been there.  When I first was first diagnosed, it was hard to even tell anyone.  And once I did, a good chunk of people I still call my friends listened, but over the course of time, if we were talking about it, they would always find some way to minimize the fact that the headaches weren't anything more than a common everyday headache.  Or better yet, attribute it to something like drinking pop or coffee, smoking, diet, weight, stress...all things that can be controlled but can't control the beast.  Yeah, they're still friends, but I just don't talk to any of them about it anymore.  The best one I've ever gotten (of course during lunch break at work when there are several people there) was "men just big babies when it comes to pain."  I walked out.  Right after that I printed the letter from ch.com and handed it out to everyone and I guess it helped a little.  But I know exactly what you're going through; the doubt or denial that you could be in that much pain hurts when it comes from a loved one....maybe not a k10 but it hurts just the same.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!