Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches and Jobs... (Read 1771 times)
Mezteck
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cluster Headaches and Jobs...
Oct 15th, 2008 at 2:23pm

Hello, I'm a supporter.
My boyfriend has been needing a job now for awhile but as a recent cluster headache, we are wondering how we should approach jobs with someone who is a cluster headache.
Today he had an interview and feels like he completely messed it up in the end by telling the interviewer that he suffers from cluster headaches. The thing is, is this something you should tell your interviewer before you are hired? Especially when one needs a job so badly? Or should you wait till after you're hired and it's hitting you on the job?
We were discussing this today and we couldn't really find a conclusion. It's sort of an iffy subject.
I was curious if anyone else has had experience in this department and what your recommendations would be for this situation? It would help us out a lot. Smiley Thank you!

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Re: Cluster Headaches and Jobs...
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 2:57pm

I think it depends on how bad the particular case of clusters is.

If you only get one attack per day at work, for example, then I don't think it's that bad not to tell. I didn't tell that to my boss when I got hired, only afterwards. And I'm chronic to boot.

If you get so many attacks that it will make working completely impossible, then of course you should tell.

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 3:10pm

I'm with Rosa.  I would only tell a perspective employeer if I felt that CH would keep me from fulfilling my job responsibilities.

I joined the place I'm with now a year ago July.  I didn't tell them anything until my cycle started.  By then my rep had been established.  It has had no effect on my job performance and therefore is no issue for my employeer.

I do get hit at work though infrequently.  I do use Oxygen in my office.  Those around me have learned to just ignore what I'm doing and have actually gotten used to it.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 3:12pm

Even if he explains it before being hired, there is no way to tell how coworkers or bosses will react when seeing an actual hit.   

If he is in remission and can make it through probation period, that is good, and he would have more protection for keeping the job.

Most of us overcompensate and are such good workers that it makes up for the down time.

There have been years on end where I considered work as medicine.  One of my "superpowers" is hearing, and when I was a transcriptionist, I could hear things that other people could not and was considered one of the best.  I have been a typist/legal clerk for Stanislaus County for 20 years, and some have been good and some have been a struggle. I have been both episodic and chronic at times during these 20 years.

I have to say, coworkers who are busy working their butts off are easier to deal with than those who gossip and cause trouble.  Bosses who appreciate hard work and are flexible are easier than micromanagers.

As for disclosure, I believe in it but not full disclosure.  I don't want anyone expect my neurologist to know how this feels.

Good luck.  Not an easy decision. 

Let us know when he has job interviews and we'll pray for him.  That is one of the awesome things about this family and support group.

Charlotte

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 3:28pm

I don't know if this is morally correct, but I would hide it if I could.

It's too hard to explain and I think it would only scare off any employer.

However, if you are in cycle it would be almost impossible to hide.

Probably should wait until your cycle is over to seek employment.

IP Logged

gsockrider
CH.com Newbie

x0|New Orleans|USA||0|0|LA,Louisiana
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 3:43pm

I lost two great jobs because of CH. One of them (my schedule was 4:30 AM-2:00 PM and they came at 3 AM daily) for excessive absenteeism even when I still had eight sick days left. The other recently because they were comming in the middle of the shift. Be careful because most employers don't understand CH. If you can work around them do so and good luck.

IP Logged

shelticon2
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Greensboro NC
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:03pm

One other thing to concider is health insurance.. If you have not been "officially" diagnosed then it would not qualify as a pre-existing condition. The less anyone knows about it the better.. As a small business owner I work with health insurance companies.  They are nearly as ruthless as this headache beast that we battle.
    Besides, as unpredictable as the beast is, it may decide to stop attacking any day now.

At least that's what I've been hoping for.

Jim

Cage the Beast

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 7:08pm

I wouldn't tell them anything. They cant ask, and that information is protected by law. But that's just me.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:08pm

After what I've been through at my workplace since diagnosed in 2000 I would not say anything until you absolutely have to.

Eight years and they still do not get it!! Angry

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 5:23am

First of all, thank you for being a supporter! Smiley

In the past, I have not mentioned it at a job interview and consider it to be my issue, espcially, because I know what works for me treatment-wise. I have a job interview coming, so I might face a question about my health. I actually haven't thought about what to reply, but I don't think that I'll mention ch this time, either. I plan to deal with it when the time - next cycle - comes.

Now, I have taken time- off in the middle of a day to see a neurologist in the past, but I did that after I had a talk with my then supervisor about it. She was fine with that and we agreed that I would stay longer on few days to make up for the lost time, that was all she cared about.

In my previous job I already knew that energy drinks help with ch, so when I felt shadows coming, I went to the kitchen as soon as possible and got it. Most of my colleagues were drinking energy drinks for fun, so I didn't tell anyone about ch; I didn't see any point in that.

All the best & PF days to your boyfriend,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

MPMIII
CH.com Veteran

Alabama
Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 8:23am

Mum's the word.  Even if you explain it fully to the employer, they still won't understand.  Is he chronic or episodic?

IP Logged

Izzy
CH.com Junior

Choose life.

Red Deer, AB, Canada
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 8:13pm

IMO; it depends on the employer & type of work. When Jon first got hit last year he was a truss-maker & his boss was very understanding when he got diagnosed; if he got a hit at work he just rode it out. This year he's in sales with a different company & his boss again is willing to learn about the condition; but we didn't say anything about it when getting hired; because really it's private information. It's enough for them to know he's sick & with a neurological disease (we don't say headache...people take "disease" more seriously & tend to shut up.) so time off work is more acceptable.

"There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten, but I have loved someone with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!