Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone heard of Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania? (Read 4751 times)
carolinagirl4ever69
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Has anyone heard of Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania?
Oct 10th, 2008 at 12:19am

I recently went to a neurologist about cluster headaches.I have all the symptoms but the doctor told me I could not have them because I am a woman.She said I have CPH a type of cluster headache in women.The only problem is the med she prescibed was supposed to  be 100 % effective for CPH and I am still in pain everyday.Has anyone ever heard of this?What is the difference and what does it matter that I am female?? I am at my wits end. please help.   thanks, melinda

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Has anyone heard of Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 12:31am

I'm not much good at this, Mel, but I'll try.  As I recall, the med used for CPH is 100% effective and if it doesn't work you don't have CPH.

Also, forget that guff about ladies not having CH. Nani says it's untrue and that's good enough for me.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 1:46am

Hi Mel.  I'm not a sufferer myself (my husband is a sufferer), but there are plenty of women here that have CH.  I think you might need to find yourself a new doctor.

Hang in there and I hope that you get some PF time soon.

Hugs,

Jen

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 5:49am

I agree.  sounds like you need a new doctor.
It's just amazing howmany posts I have read regarding doctors that don't really have a handle on CH.
                                Better Days To Ya
                                    Just Plain Carl

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:35am

fire that ignoramus dr. you deserve a real professional. Cool

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:41am

CPH is kinda like CH.  Same pain and one sidedness of attacks however in CPH the attacks are shorter in duration and more frequent.  They are more common in women than men.  Indocin (indomethacine) is 100% effective with CPH.

However, women do get CH (don't tell Linda I said that).  CH is more common in men but both sexes do get it.  If the indocin hasn't worked in a week or so (I think the dose is >75mg/day) it's time to look at CH.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

LeeS
CH.com Alumnus

I love C12 H16 N2O!

West London, UK, Europe
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:57am

Hi Melinda

I take it that you have been prescribed a course of indomethacin?  Take a look at this for some background information:

Quote:
Paroxysmal Hemicrania

Paroxysmal hemicrania (PH) involves one-sided attacks (headaches) that have closely similar characteristics of pain and associated (autonomic) symptoms of cluster headache (CH). However, they tend to be very much shorter in duration. Each attack normally lasts between 10-30 minutes, but can be as short as two minutes or as long as 45 minutes. They also tend to occur on average more frequently than CH (five per day or more - and sometimes up to 40 per day) and appear to be more prevalent amongst females. As with both CH and migraine there are two variants of PH: chronic and episodic, defined in exactly the same way as in CH.

Like many of the other shorter lasting primary headaches, PH responds almost absolutely to a medication called indomethacin (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), and it is noteworthy that this course of action is often used as a screening investigation to rule out CH amongst some sufferers.

As with CH, the diagnosis of paroxysmal hemicrania is based purely on assessing the history of the sufferer coupled with a detailed neurological examination.

Source: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you are taking indomethacin, then this may be useful.  I used to think that the "Indotest" (the method they use to help rule out CH) could be achieved through oral medication.  This report, however, suggests that intramuscular is the definitive requirement:

Quote:
Parenteral indomethacin (the INDOTEST) in cluster headache
Authors: Antonaci, F; Costa, A1; Ghirmai, S1; Sances, G2; Sjaastad, O3; Nappi, G4

Source: Cephalalgia, Volume 23, Number 3, April 2003, pp. 193-196(4)

Abstract:

Antonaci F, Costa A, Ghirmai S, Sances G, Sjaastad O & Nappi G. Parenteral indomethacin (the INDOTEST) in cluster headache. Cephalalgia 2003; 23:193-196. London. ISSN 0333-1024

The interval between indomethacin administration and clinical response may be extremely relevant in the assessment of chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (CPH) and other unilateral headache disorders like cluster headache (CH), with which CPH can be confounded. Indomethacin is inactive in CH; however, in some anecdotal reports in recent years, doubt has been cast on the ineffectiveness of indomethacin in CH. In this study, we have re-assessed the effect of indomethacin treatment in a group of 18 patients with episodic CH (three females and 15 males). From the day 8 of the active period, indomethacin 100mg i.m. was administered every 12h, for 2 consecutive days, in an open fashion. The mean daily attack frequency before the test (1.6± 0.6) was not statistically different from that on day 1 (2.1±0.9) and day 2 (1.9±0.8) after indomethacin administration. The mean interval between indomethacin injection and the following attack (day 1 and day 2) was 4.6+1.1h. We did not observe any refractory period in any patient after indomethacin. Since the ‘expected’ attack occurred when there theoretically could have been a protective effect after indomethacin administration, it can be reasonably assumed that there is no such protective effect. The use of a test dose of 100mg i.m. indomethacin (INDOTEST) appears to provide a clear-cut answer in this situation. It may be a useful tool for a proper clinical assessment of unilateral headache with relatively short-lasting attacks when problems of classification arise. A correct diagnosis of CPH or CH is important, since a CPH diagnosis may imply a lifelong treatment with a potentially noxious drug.

All the best with it.

-Lee

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The more you know
thebb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!