Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do you have pain free time between hits? (Read 6115 times)
Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Do you have pain free time between hits?
Aug 13th, 2008 at 12:23pm

For the episodics, I'm wondering if you have shadows or some form of pain all the time while you're in cycle?  Or do you experience some pain free time inbetween hits?

For the chronics, do you you have cycles of high activity and low activity - and are they regular?

Thanks,

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Do you have pain free time between hits?
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:34pm

I've gotten to the point where I consider anything 2 or below on the Kip scale to be pain free. In other words, I can deal with anything 2 or below without having to take action.

IP Logged

Geewilly
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 1:50pm

I am episodic and mine are pretty well 2 times a day and are usually clock work.  If I get hit at 6 in the morning then I can expect to be hit later that evening between 5 and 7 p.m.  Otherwise, I am pain free with occasional shadows.  I have had cycles of 4 and 5 big hits a day and during that time the back of my neck was constantly uncomfortable.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:02pm

I agree with Brew about the lower kip scale CH.  They're very tolerable, but anything higher, it's pain time. 

The cycle i'm currently ending (so I think) had one in the morning usually 6-8am with a PF free (with and without shadows) period till the next one hit usually around 11pm-2am.  The shadow will stick around sometimes all day long, but this cycle was better than most.  Today has been CH free, knock on wood.   I hope the cycle is over, but i'm never sure.

Another thing that worked for me this cycle was to take 50mg of Imitrex before bedtime and I would have a full night of sleep.
Lack of sleep can make you evil Angry

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:25pm

I'm episodic, between actual attacks I'm pain free, with the exception of occasional shadows. When I defeat an attack with oxygen and oral cafergot, I go beyond pain free to this almost euphoric high.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:34pm

At the height of my cycle I have continuous shadows which are pretty much anything from just pressure to as much as a 2. Hits are usually at least twice a day at a kip 8 or 10.   As my cycle winds down I sometimes feel totally normal but that gets interrupted by hits that range from around a 5 to an 8.   When I have some "normal" time I know  I'm close to turning the corner even if it's still a month or so away. 

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:25pm:
...I go beyond pain free to this almost euphoric high.

Like when the Padres win?

Don't let that O2 bottle get too far away. Wink

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I'm chronic and have been so since my headaches began at the end of September 2007. The beast seems to be morphing a lot, so that sometimes I get days when I have six hits, while sometimes I get just one hit. The hits also vary in how painful they are.

Usually, though, I get around 2-3 hits per day and they are anything from KIP scale 5 to 9. Usually around 7. The pain-free time I have per day is often just a couple of hours, and none during some days. Usually between the hits I'm at least on KIP scale 1-2, occasionally on 3 or even four. Mostly I feel best a bit after an attack, when the "afterburn" stops.

- Best regards,
Rosa

IP Logged

BrianJ
CH.com Veteran

Take It Easy

|Liverpool|England|
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 3:11pm

From the start of my cycle to the peek i have alot of shadows between the hits wich are (kip 6 or 7) and a stiff neck

when it peeks i have constant shadows probably for about 3 days and (kip 9 - 10) hits after that it starts winding down and i can go 2 days with out a hit but when i do get them in the winding down time there still (kip 8s) the  last week or so i get about 1 hit usually a biggy and then its just shadows after that when the shadows are gone for 2 days i consider my self out of cycle.  but it has jumped back up and bit me in the ass befor today so i dont think about drinking or anything for a few weeks afterwards

PF Wishes to all.&&We all live with this crap But it is not who we are dont let it control you!!!.

IP Logged

gregory s
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:00pm

I can have a slight shadow even when I'm out of cycle. Yesterday, I laid down and felt it coming on. It was one of those slow attacks, that come on slowly but full force. It lasted about an hour, and slowly faded out. This time, since the air is so dry, I boiled two big pots of water and got some moisture back in the air. But last night I actually slept all night pain free. Today, I laid down and it was almost instant shadow, so I got up. Then I did something I should've already done and moved my bed back into the bedroom. I had 'moved' into the living room, because it's dimmer in there ( I sleep during the day). But I guess the A/C was the actual trigger, and the air in the living room is kinda different than in the bedroom. That happened at the last place I lived, I had to stay out of the living room. I lived in the bedroom for the two years. I'm about to lay down for a nap before work, here's hoping I'm right. And it's already starting to cool down here in Texas, last night was so comfortable I slept good. But we are under an Orange Level air advisory. I think that may have had something to do with also. This cycle I'm in is actaully the first in about a year and a half. It's been awhile.

IP Logged

angela.lambert
CH.com Veteran

Support Alaska Commercial
Fisherman

petersburg,alaska
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:11pm

i would have to say that i shadow all the time during my cycle.  i might have an hour of pf time, but i can always feel some action on my suffering side. sometimes it peaks really quickly for about 10 seconds and subsides back to a dull numb sensation.  it will not let me go until my cycle is over. my ch's come 1 a day to 1 every 3 days.  but they are 9's and if not aborted last 4 hours and then leave me with a horrible after shock.

angela

The Beast, the Beast, the Beast is on Fire!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=15  
IP Logged

ReeseC
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

San Francisco
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:50pm

It's been 9 days since my last attack, and I feel I can safely say that I am out of cycle.  I didn't realize that I was always feeling something while in cycle until now that I am finally truly pain-free. 

I journaled that I had some pain-free days during my cycle, but compared to now, those were not really pain-free days.  My husband says that my smile disappeared completely for the 4 weeks while I was in cycle.  I guess that was a sign that I wasn't quite "normal" between hits.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2008 at 5:11pm

Episodic.
Shadow a lot with 1-2 hits a day.
After two weeks on verapamil this tapers down to the point where I'm almost completely PF except for a few shadows and the occasional break through attack in the 5-7 range. 

Breakthrough hits are mostly my own fault  Roll Eyes 
- lack of sleep
- MSG
- forget to take or late with my verapamil (3x/day)

A little quality time with my O2 or an energy drink usually sets things right again  Cool

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:48pm

I am pretty much like Dennis:

episodic
1-2 hits a day
shadow alot during the day til verap kicked in then usually only shadowed 1x per day -around 4-5 pm
Had one breakthrough of about a 4 or 5 ( could talk thru it , probably could've waited it out, but had the kids in car on way to soccer game- so took an imitrex)

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 6:26pm

I'm chronic.  Have high and low cycles that I have stopped trying to figure out.  Just when I begin to think I've imagined this condition and I really don't have ch (denial is a wonderful thing while it lasts), wham, the beast reminds me that he is still there.  Longest period without any ch activity is about 2 weeks.  During low cycle, I will dose with rc seeds every 30 days.  If I start getting upper level hits, I'll start dosing every 5 days for a few weeks.  02 is my best friend!!

Beth

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #15 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:17am

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 13th, 2008 at 2:25pm:
I'm episodic, between actual attacks I'm pain free, with the exception of occasional shadows. When I defeat an attack with oxygen and oral cafergot, I go beyond pain free to this almost euphoric high.

Guiseppi

Guiseppi,

What is cafergot?

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #16 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:22am

I get around 3 kip4's during the day. At night I wake up sometimes twice with a kip9.....but they start to lose their "powers" after 2 weeks.
When in cycle- I'm hardly ever pain free. Constant shawdows usually kip2's, but I'll take a hundred of those kip2's over the nightime attacks anyday!

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #17 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 1:03pm

Kimmie, cafergot is a caffeine-ergotamine drug prescribed for migraines and CH:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 1:53pm

Laurie, I am chronic, with high and low cycles of varrying intensity and sometimes getting slammed what seems like constantly and other times only 4 times a day.  In between hits is pain free time.  Even when getting slammed, there is pain free time in between, even if only 5 minutes. When I was episodic in the past, also in between was pain free. 

I didn't want to jinx myself by responding earlier, but I jinxed myself anyway by paying attention and finally figured out why my left eye blackens when I get hit on the right.  The end of the trigiminal branches swell up and the area at the inside corner and above my right eyebrow, my right cheek, and below the right side of my mouth all swell and are a little white, and the left side is normal except for the black eye.  LOL.

Charlotte

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 3:24pm

From my personal experience.....
When I'm in the first month of my cycle, with the not so crazy hits (up to 8) I do enjoy painfree time in general.
If I however go into the second month, which I call lovingly high cycle, and I get the real nasty ones, I get a lot of shadow headaches in between real attacks. But I do not count them to be as pain, as they are merely very annoying.
Having said this, those are just generalisations, as I do get some shadows while in ''low'' cycle, and some real painfree time in high cycle. Who was it again that said, clusters are predictable?
But there is a pattern, yes.

Regards, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #20 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 6:09pm

Charlotte wrote on Aug 16th, 2008 at 1:53pm:
Laurie, I am chronic, with high and low cycles of varrying intensity and sometimes getting slammed what seems like constantly and other times only 4 times a day.  In between hits is pain free time.  Even when getting slammed, there is pain free time in between, even if only 5 minutes. When I was episodic in the past, also in between was pain free. 

I didn't want to jinx myself by responding earlier, but I jinxed myself anyway by paying attention and finally figured out why my left eye blackens when I get hit on the right.  The end of the trigiminal branches swell up and the area at the inside corner and above my right eyebrow, my right cheek, and below the right side of my mouth all swell and are a little white, and the left side is normal except for the black eye.  LOL.

Charlotte

Oh Charlotte, I didn't mean to jinx you by posing the question!!  SO sorry about that!

Hoping things go back to normal - or, actually, better than normal!!!!!

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 1:39am

I am a variable episodic. I have had in the past many extended breaks where I suffer only silent attacks (all the symptoms, no pain)
Therefore not chronic in the pain sense.

When at my worst I have no pain free time between the hits during the days. Though the intensity subsides, I can hardly tell when one hit stops and another starts. I do however usually have a nice recovery break for an hour or two many evenings and then at night I may get up to 20 minutes between hits without pain..

This was before I got some control with CBs.

MJ

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:10pm

So is there anyone that experiences - or prior to busting - that has experienced NO pain free time for years at a time?

This is enough already
IP Logged

rickyshot
CH.com Hall of Famer

ouch

x0|Montreal|Canada||0|0|QC,Quebec
Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:30am

I am episodice twice a year or was. I have been cluster free for over a year but not migraine free with busting.

It always starts off mimicing a cold, sinus or flu. During the 8 week period I would always feel like shit and get 2-3 hits per day of varying kips. I get a lot of shadows and swelling and general malaise the whole time. Tearing of the eye and nasal congestion really bad.  DHE worked with Prednisone . It never aborted the cycle but made life tolerable along with the O2.

The last kip 10 I had was four years ago. Will never forget it. <<shudder>>> If I had over kip 5's often and chronic I would be on disability no question. I don't know how some of y'all do it.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #24 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:40am

i'm episodic. my attacks are either balls to the wall or nothing at all. it is black and white. i can be full blown kip9 to 0 in 2 or 3 minutes. its the damnedest thing.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!