Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Could you imagine the chaos in america? (Read 1449 times)
artonio7
Ex Member

Could you imagine the chaos in america?
Jun 26th, 2008 at 9:57am

A town in Germany removed all the traffic signals and signs and as a result it reduced accidents.

Very interesting concept, funny how sometimes when people are left to make their own decisions they actually make the right ones.

I could just imagine how this would fly in the USA... The lawyers would have a feeding frenzy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Could you imagine the chaos in america?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:12am

It's called CYA.

IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus

Happy to be here

Jamestown, NY
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:47am

Good timing. There is an article on this in The Atlantic about this very thing....this month, I think, by a guy who spends time in England and says that it works there and other places.

I thought of this the other day in parking lots where it takes all day to read signs and elsewhere. Dozens of signs at intersections and the countless speed warnings at places that road crews no longer exist are not much of a problem over there.

We have a bizarre idea that signs everywhere about everything will insure perfection regarding everything we do. It ain't so.

Charlie

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
135447360 mondocharlie mondocharlie  
IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 10:55am

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 11:17am

That would only work if the majority of American people had the power of deductive reasoning and critical thinking.  Sadly it would be a disaster here.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:46pm

To know what to do at any given intersection, one has to be paying attention to traffic rather than eating, talking on the cell, texting a message or playing with your children while driving . . . . .  Roll Eyes

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:02pm

This would not work in America at all.

The reason why we have so many signs is because dumb asses sue the city.  If someone walks out in traffic without looking and gets killed, they sue the city because there was no sign that said there might be danger if you walk out into the street without looking.

It's just like coffee cups.  Someone spilled coffee on themself and sued, so now coffee cups have to spcifically say that coffee is hot.

Someone picked up their lawn mower and got their fingers chopped off, so now lawn mowers have a sticker on them that say not to stick your fingers in the blade.

As a population, we do not have any collective sense or reasoning.  This would never work here in America.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:41pm

The solution, if you can afford it, is to move to where there are no signs.

I like B$'s Carlin quote in his tagline: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that."

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:45pm

You can fix traffic lights, you cant fix stupid.
thebb Wink

IP Logged

stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mandeville, LA
Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 7:54pm

Thomas, you have crystallized my thoughts on this matter.

Steve G

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!