Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any suggestions? (Read 1325 times)
DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Any suggestions?
Jun 23rd, 2008 at 8:26am

I'm back on a strict diet because I'm gaining weight and do not want to turn diabetic again.

I did good two years ago by losing 26 lbs in about 3 months, but my heart isn't really in it right now.

I'm stuck on what I can find to eat for breakfast {sick of Eggbeaters)and snacks....no sugar and no more than 15 carbs per food group per meal.  It's a 1,400 calorie diet which I have no trouble controlling, but breakfast is so limited and I'm tired of cauliflower and low fat dip for snacks.

I'm hungry!  Tongue

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Re: Any suggestions?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:14am

When Lisa is on high doese of prednisone for her asthma she eats tons of watermelon. It is a natural diueretic. It may be a bit too high in carbs for you, 12 gms per serving but has many other benefits. This was reccomeneded to her by a nutritionist at the hospital.The article even discusses it as a benefit to diabetes. Good luck!!!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:39am

Wow, Charlotte, that looks like a great site.  Thanks so much.  I'm going to read it right now.

I especially like the fact that it gives calories and such for so many other foods.

IP Logged

notseinfeld
CH.com Hall of Famer

Enough is Enough.    
   Vote Libertarian

x1|Atlanta|USA|usa|425|226|GA,Georgia
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:49am

Secret to Weight Loss:

Burn up more than you take in.

I know, easy for a thin guy w/a high metabolism to say but you shouldn't walk around hungry-- Grab your dog and give him a nightly walk!

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
WWW krilldocument  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:59am

Hi Donna,

When I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago my Dr told me not to worry about counting carbs or calories.  He said his diet was very simple, "If it tastes good, spit it out."

I find the key to be to just use moderation (I hate that word) and just realize that if I eat something I know to be high in carbs to just cut back on something else.  When I focus on what I can't eat I crave it all the more, but if I focus on what I can enjoy it is easier to limit myself.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:01am

Donna, I eat steel cut oats with some sugar free Walden Farms pancake syrup, or their chocolate dip, or some splenda.

Or I have a few recipes to make a mock danish, mock crepe, etc. using eggs, cream cheese, vanilla, etc.

Let me know if you'd like them.

Smileymel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 2:04pm

Thank you all for your tips. Smiley

Melissa....I don't know what steel cut oats are........what are they?

The other recipies sound good, so if you'd like to send them, I'd be happy.

Check out Charlottes link.  It reveals a lot...........like my favorite fruit, Mango, is just full of high percentages of many vitamins and minerals.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 5:35pm

Donna, mangos are also very high in sugar and can spike your insulin.  I love them too but cannot eat them! Sad

I'll gather you some recipes and PM them to you, ok?

Smileymel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 6:48pm

Donna, you can have protein, right? I have low blood sugar, and I find that eating more protein helps me from feeling hungry, and keeps my blood sugar under control.

What about having left over baked chicken, or something like that for breakfast? Or maybe an omelet with chicken or turkey, with some tomatoes, and maybe a little bit of cheese? Or yogurt, plain, and add your own sugar free (no sugar syrup) fruit?

Just a few suggestions that help me. I hope they can help you. My problem is I'm not hungry first thing in the morning, so I take my breakfast to work with my lunch, and eat a couple hours after I get there.

Looks like you have some good links to look at too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!