Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"brainfreeze" (Read 1908 times)
tuck
CH.com Veteran

Damn this cross is heavy
!

Gillespie , Illinois
"brainfreeze"
Jun 18th, 2008 at 5:54am

I appologize in advance if this topic has been previously discussed, but i am  a newbie, so here it goes anyway. I assume we are all aware of the phrase "brainfreeze", or sometimes its called "ice-cream headache", you know, that intense 3 seconds of pain you get when eating or drinking a milkshake too fast? or something REALLY cold? I was just wonderind if All of us clusterheads get that? i do know some people that say they NEVER get that.  I was also wondering if anyone has ever purposely given themselves "brain-freeze" to try to stop a hit, or perhaps bust a cycle? I must admit i have not tryed it during a hit, and am too big of a wuss to try it to bust a cycle in case it CAUSES a hit!          By the way, I have, on more than one occasion, while discussing "brain freeze" with others have heard people say,"Oh God, it hurts SOO bad, thank God it only lasts about 3 seconds or you just couldnt survive!"  I just smile and say,,, uhmm... no, you could survive,,, its just a REAL BI@#H  !!!!!!!!!  PF days to all!   Tuck  
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2008 at 7:18am by tuck »  

cancer shmancer,, i get cluster headaches!

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: "brainfreeze"
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:35am

Haven't tried it and I don't think it's been discussed here.

A lot of us get "ice-pick" pains that are akin to it, but these just happen out of the blue.

Good lordy, we've tried about everything else around here - go ahead and try it and let us know how it works. Can't see where it would hurt you if you're already in the middle of a CH.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:05am

Here's a (semi-serious) account of a randomized trial at a middle school that shows the differential rate of induced ice cream headache in a (presumably normal)  Wink group of youngsters:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

...and a definition of "ice cream headache" from Johns Hopkins:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

I do know that some here, especially those who report that they get a "cluster lump" on the roof of the mouth (a swollen nerve ganglion associated with a CH attack that may also appear at the sphenopalatine ganglion, or at C5 or C7 at the back of the neck) indicate that they may get some temporary relief during an attack by laying an ice cube or a popsicle against the roof of the mouth.  Whether this merely provides a distraction, or actually does something to mitigate an attack, (shrinking dilated blood vessels, etc.) I do not know. 

So I can see where putting a cold substance against the roof of ones mouth might provide some temporary relief during an attack. 

I seriously doubt whether it could break a cycle--that smacks a bit of homeopathy.  Since everything returns to baseline within a minute or two of an "ice cream headache", I'd guess that any effect would be transient.  But I'm only guessing.

Wink

Best,

George
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:20am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:17am

Quote:
Error Occurred While Processing Request 
Element DIVISION_NAME is undefined in DIVISION. 

Resources:
Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debugging Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.
Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser   Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Remote Address   71.13.117.117
Referrer   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Date/Time   18-Jun-08 10:16 AM

I'm getting this error Hunny...

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 10:25am

Yeah, I see that, Pegg.

Hm.  Can't seem to fix it to make the second link work, either. 

Anyway, in the part where it says (B...), take that out and type in (Brain_Freeze) .  That works.

Some mystical glitch in the pasting process, I suppose.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus

Karratha|,West_Australia
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:05pm

tuck wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 5:54am:
I assume we are all aware of the phrase "brainfreeze", or sometimes its called "ice-cream headache", you know, that intense 3 seconds of pain you get when eating or drinking a milkshake too fast? or something REALLY cold? I was just wonderind if All of us clusterheads get that? i do know some people that say they NEVER get that.  I was also wondering if anyone has ever purposely given themselves "brain-freeze" to try to stop a hit, or perhaps bust a cycle? I must admit i have not tryed it during a hit, and am too big of a wuss to try it to bust a cycle in case it CAUSES a hit!          By the way, I have, on more than one occasion, while discussing "brain freeze" with others have heard people say,"Oh God, it hurts SOO bad, thank God it only lasts about 3 seconds or you just couldnt survive!"  I just smile and say,,, uhmm... no, you could survive,,, its just a REAL BI@#H  !!!!!!!!!  PF days to all!   Tuck  

Just something I have noticed when aborting a low hit with Red Bull I will get a "brain freeze" in & above my right eye but not my left (CH side) I have tried it when not getting hit & the same thing happens freeze on the right zip on the left Shocked.

Cheers
Barry

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Of all the things i've lost in life the thing i miss most is my mind.
WWW http://mushys.com/kiwi  
IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 7:43am

I have gotten brain freezes but never tried them, to break a cycle!  I have found myself telling folks that is the only thing that I describe to someone about our pain.  I ask if they ever had a brain freeze and If they say yea, I say having a ch, is like a having the worst brain freeze that you could possibly imagine but without the reassurance that the pain will retreat in a few seconds!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!