Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted (Read 166365 times)
Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted
Reply #50 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:15pm

Note:  Alternative users tend to be a little defensive.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:15pm by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:23pm

I am sorry but I could not find the answers to my questions reading the CB website. There is no mention anywhere of what BobW talked about that the Government has spent millions to find negative effects of psychedelic substance and came up with nothing, nor is there the result of the initial phase study of the safety of psychedelic treatment.

Can someone from CB please point them out to me? Thank you very much.

Also in the 2008 report, it was said:

Psilocybin and LSD research
The protocol designs for the clinical trials have reached the point where we feel
they will not only be submitted to all the necessary agencies in 2008, but we fully
expect approvals and scheduling of the first patient to legally receive a
psychedelic treatment for their cluster headaches, to take place in late 2008- early

So you have not submitted the protocol yet but you expect approval in the next 6 months so that scheduling of the trial can start late this year or early next year ? I have never heard of protocol for any trial getting approval within 6 months so I cant wait to hear of the outcome.

Commonly, more than one successful trial is needed to be able to confirm the validity of the data, so is there further plan for other similar trials down the pipeline ?

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #52 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:42pm

Are we really going to beat the snot out of this subject by parsing every other post down line-by-line?

If there is no single answer to these things - which I think is pretty much universally agreed - then why would we question legitimate input from verifiable fellow clusterheads?

Not everyone's CH is the same. Not everyone's results with conventional meds are the same, just as they aren't with alternatives.

Just in our little world here, the information is naturally skewed toward those with the most severe instances of CH.

I'll stand up and be counted. But, I also don't choose to tell folks who have years of positive results from conventional meds that what they're doing is wrong or "less than".

Scott

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #53 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:53pm

Count me.  Without a doubt, it was highly successful for me. And even though I know it is illegal to ingest, I told my bosses what I was doing, I told my doctors what I was doing, I told my family what I was  doing, and I'll continue to tell anyone who cares to  hear. I am not fearful of what COULD happen with it, I am more fearful of what I KNOW will happen without it.

Seeds worked for me. I got my life back after 22 years episodic. Though it didn't fully break the cycle, it gave me days of pf time and only minor hits when I did have any. I'll never go back to conventional meds again.

So count me.

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #54 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:59pm

seasonalboomer wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:42pm:
I'll stand up and be counted. But, I also don't choose to tell folks who have years of positive results from conventional meds that what they're doing is wrong or "less than".

Perhaps I am simply naive, but I haven't noticed anything like that on this thread, Scott.

With conventional meds, it's always good to have corroborating evidence from clinical trials showing that the substances in question are effective in treating a particular condition, and relatively free from harmful effects. 

I see no reason why we should not expect the same evidence about alternative treatments.  If such things are in the works--well and good. 

Best,

George    

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #55 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:23pm

washed-out wrote
And I quote

“And "ethical reasons"... lol ,sorry for being harsh but that's a bs. What do you mean by "ethical reasons"?”

As I do not engage in discussions with members that use phrases that I most of the time ignore,
I will ask the author to rephrase his statement, and he might get an answer, just a bit of respect,
one cannot regard an other opinion with the terms used above, even if one has a different point
of view.

I was looking forward to have an interesting, productive, and most of all beneficial discussion to us all,
but now I am out of this thread…..  I will be still review this thread, out of curiosity, interest and
the pure pleasure of learning.

Sorry Bob I honestly was hoping to see this thread develop, and provide us with a good exchange
of info. opinion and knowledge……

Michael

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:31pm

It appears to me that this thread is starting to drift in a different direction than was initially intended.  I believe what Bobw was trying to accomplish was to have people with the experience of success with alternative meds to speak up.  Of course, people are entitled to their own opinions, but it is starting to turn accusatory and hostile.  Honestly, I expect better from people.  We are a unique lot of people, who for the most part are left to fend for ourselves when it comes to finding treatment.  I personally, like reading about the positve experiences with alternatives and am strongly considering going this route.  I don't mean to bitch, but is a little more dignity too much to ask for?

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #57 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Note:  Alternative users tend to be 'VERY' defensive.
Wink

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Poli
CH.com Junior

Alicante|Spain|Europe
Reply #58 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:41pm

Hola, one more to be counted. I'm also a proud clusterbuster, one of the few "legals". Here is ilegal the traffic or public consumption, so I put my order in Internet, they ship by fedex from Holland (EU) to Spain and I take my mushies at home, legally until now. It looks that the Dutch government is going to ban them also.
25 months ago I began to get my life back, after 5 years episodic, 4 months a year, in fall, and 2 years cronic (3 cycles a year, thanks to the all the "normal" medicines), the CB treatment broked the  pattern, gave me 1 year PF, 15 dias of a rouge cycle, 9 more months of PF, 2 months of cycle with 98% hits aborted with O2, and now I'm 6 months pain free again and "tripping" Smiley to Peru in 21 days on holidays (yes, flying a lot) where I'll try to taste Ayahuasca and compare it's effects with psilo.
What I can't understand is why some people are "against" a treatment, I'm really "hallucinated" with that.
Saludos
Poli

http://es-la.facebook.com/people/Poli_Cortes/14423  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 2:58pm

RC seeds ROCK!
Shrooms ROCK even more better.
These are demon ass kickers. No doubt in my mind.Finally something that works.
Negative comments are all directed to the big bucket of pain I have not had to endure. It sits adjacent to the pile of money I have saved on pharmacuticals.
Thanks to clusterbusters and ch.com always.
thebb
Hi everybody... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

LostAgain
CH.com Junior

No excuses...

Buffalo Grove, IL USA
Reply #60 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:19pm

I'm waiting for my RC seeds to come in, which from what I understand there are no laws against consumption of RC seeds.

Is this the case?

LostBoarder36  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #61 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:52pm

LostAgain wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:19pm:
I'm waiting for my RC seeds to come in, which from what I understand there are no laws against consumption of RC seeds.

Is this the case?

That varies from state to state. In most cases, it is legal to buy them and possess them, but not to buy them for ingestion, or to ingest them. Of course, law enforcement would have to have a reason to think you are doing so and an interest in pursuing something as relatively innocent as morning glory seeds.

Scott

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:02pm

seasonalboomer wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:52pm:
LostAgain wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:19pm:

Is this the case?

That varies from state to state. In most cases, it is legal to buy them and possess them, but not to buy them for ingestion, or to ingest them. Of course, law enforcement would have to have a reason to think you are doing so...

You mean like posting your intentions on a public bb service? Grin

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:45pm

Quote:
I believe what Bobw was trying to accomplish was to have people with the experience of success with alternative meds to speak up.  Of course, people are entitled to their own opinions, but it is starting to turn accusatory and hostile.  Honestly, I expect better from people.   

Why did BobW want people using psychedelic substance for CH to speak up here ? Obviously he wants more people to know about it and to try or to start using it. Is it because he has strong new scientific evidences that the treatment works and he would like to spread the words? Or is it because he is trying to "recruit" more members to the website because CB is in need of fund as per the 2008 report ?

First of all, since the consumption of the substance is illegal, why does he want people who use them to go to a public forum and admit that they are using it ? There is a certain degree of risk involved here for ANYONE who publically announces that they are doing something illegal. So far, there has been no investigation or arrest yet but it does not mean the possibility is not there.

It should be up to the person whether they want to speak about it at all or not, either privately or publically. Nobody should be asked to talk about the fact that they are doing something illegal, even if its to treat their medical condition. On the CB website itself, the forum is hidden away. When I asked why this was so a couple of years ago, I was told that it was kept hidden to protect the members and users. If it is so, then why come here and ask people to post about it publically. Isnt that hypocrate?

Since CB is the only source for psychedelic treatment, I would venture to say that almost all people who use these substance would have come into contact with BobW or to other core members of CB and receiving assistance from them. Now that BobW came out personally asking them to step forward and speak up about it, in a way, wouldnt it be almost like blackmailing because the people would feel obliged to do so ? Is that really ethical ?

The fact is, there is still no proper study or trial underway yet. From what I read on the CB 2008 report Dr Halpern is going to submit his proposal firstly to the hospital IRB and then the FDA for approval but in his own words "we could gain approval within a few months (no guarantees, though)" so it will be a while coming yet before we will have ANY real data on this. Thats why BobW still has to rely on personal accounts of users to advertise CB. However, in doing so, he is possibly exposing people to legal scrutiny and/or investigation which may lead to detrimental effects in their lives and work, is it a respectable thing to do ?

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:16pm

I believe that instead of asking CHers to come forwards talking about their use of illegal psychedelic substances for CH, it would have been a lot more interesting, worthwhile and helpful to discuss about what the latest scientific finding has been as published in the CB 2008 report.

I will attempt to do so, please correct me if I am wrong :

1- Is it necessary for the treatment to contain hallucinogenic property to work ?

We all know Sansert is the closest derivative to LSD without the hallucinogenic effect and it does work very well for some people like our own Bill ( Brew ) here.

I posed this very same question to BobW 2 years ago and was told " We dont know but it appeared so ". It seems Dr Halpern and Dr Passie are asking the same question and setting out to find the answer.

Passage deleted by DJ for copyright reasons

Therefore, the answer to that question is still " We dont know".

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:00pm by DJ »  

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:23pm

Annette,

You seem to be getting really worked up over something you refuse to try.  Why does this bother you so?

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:36pm

( Cont )

2- Are the up coming studies and trials about RC seeds and mushrooms ?

The short answer is no. The studies are on purified extract of LSD, LSA and psilocybin.

From the report " Dr. Andrew Sewell’s PowerPoint presentation. We
were given an in depth report on his ongoing LSA study as well as his plans for presenting his research to upcoming professional conferences. He also had more definitive information to give us from a chemist regarding the best extraction method for LSA containing seeds. " and " My presentations at the conference focused primarily then on the first projects for episodic and chronic cluster headache with psilocybin and lysergic acid diethylamide, respectively" .

My understanding is that partipants in those studies will not be given seeds or mushrooms to consume but to be given purified and possibly synthethized psilocybin, LSA or LSD to take. Is there a difference, of course there is.

The closest example is that of nicotine and tobacco smoking. Smoking tobacco delivers nicotine effects to users, but it also delivers a whole host of other chemicals, some turn out to be carcinogenic as we all know. Nicotine itself is addictive but not deadly. Its those other chemicals found in tobacco and tobacco smoke that cause the long term side effects like emphysema and cancer.

The same case scenario can be found here with LSA, LSD and psilocybin vs whole seeds and mushrooms. Since the trials will not be based on the consumption of seeds and mushrooms , but on the purified extracts, one will not be able to advocate the safety issue when using seeds and mushrooms for CH. Therefore, it is misleading to announce that the first phase of safety testing has been completed, implying to readers that using seeds and mushrooms are without possible serious short time and/or long term side effects. We simply dont know yet, unless BobW and CB can advise otherwise.

Even if the trials come back with glowing results indicating that LSA, LSD and psilocybin are safe and effective to use, it still does not mean that consuming whole seeds and mushrooms is too. It will only confirm that synthetised, purified and dose controlled ( most likely ) pill forms of LSA, LSD and psilocybin may be safe and effective.

Therefore, regardless of the outcome of these trials, the recommendation to people choosing to use seeds and mushrooms for CH should still be " make sure you read up as much as possible, educate yourself, weigh up and down all the risks involved both medical and legal, bearing in mind that there are a lot we dont yet know, before making the decision to use or not to use " .

Once the person does that , I most sincerely respect that decision.

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 9:56pm

Quote:
Annette,

You seem to be getting really worked up over something you refuse to try.  Why does this bother you so?

I am not getting worked up on anything. I did not refuse to try. My husband refused to try. He is the one who has CH. We did consider very seriously to try it 2 years ago in 2006. We wanted to be educated about BOTH the positive and negative effects of either seeds or mushrooms. We went as far as ordering the seeds while we studied up on the topic. The seeds are still sitting here on my desk.

Unfortunately, apart from personal accounts of how it may work, there is no other reliable resource otherwise. In the 2008 report , it said : " Out of 110 people using it, 73 ( 66.4 percent ) had positive results ". We wanted to know if unfortunately he falls into the 33.6% that it does not work for, will he be risking anything both in the short term and or long term, health wise, beside the legal risk?

Psychedelic treatment, legal issue aside, has very powerful effects on the persons brain, both in cognitive function as well as psychological function. Its not something to be taken lightly. Taking risk with ones physical health is serious enough, taking risk with ones mind can lead to detrimental effects.

Incidentally, I have also heard of personal accounts of people having really bad effects trying the treatment. They do exist, they just dont get heard.

Since the presentation from BobW is but about how good the treatment is, while we all know everything has its good side and bad side, I am just trying to alert the people to the possible bad sides, while hoping to gain further information for myself, so that everyone can make a fully educated and informed decision. What is wrong with that ? I did not say to anyone, dont try it, did I ? I am only saying please make sure you know both sides of the coin before deciding to choose head or tail .

Or are you saying that anyone who decides NOT to try should not speak their mind or voice their opinion ?

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #68 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:13pm

Anette, have you another nit to pick, or can we hope you soon stop hogging this thread?

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #69 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:05am

Count me in.

For over 30 years I had been afflicted with major cluster headaches all at the extreme levels of pain. Averages of 8-12 hits per day.

For twenty plus years I went from medication to medication, therapy to therapy. Oxygen was tried again and again by me and unfortunately I am of the 30% that O2 provides no aide and maybe the .01% where oxygen aggravates the CH.
I had tried 95% of the drugs known to aide others in the battle against this horendous pain we know. Some pharmaceutical drugs did nothing at all, most only made the issue worse with side effects and the inability for me to live life at 100%
Obviously daily living was a chore more often than not with CH. Add to CH the compounding effect of what some medications can and do do and life wasnt allways pretty.

For the ten years prior to CB methods I lived with extreme CH without medications of any kind. For me my attacks were as strong as ever but they were clean. The hits came and they went this allowed me to live life a little better and to be clear of mind between the hits.

Three years ago I found out about the cluster busters and RC seeds on this site. Granted it was a chore breaking a well entrenched cycle of pain, but with the support and help of many here including Bob W, Flash and many others mission was accomplished. I became pain free.

That was allmost 3 years ago that I first tried the seeds. Since January or so of 2006 I have not had amajor hit or bout with CH.

I dont think I am in total remission I believe I am simply aborting complete cycling. I dose with seeds on average every 3 to 6 weeks. Symptoms begin to return if I dont pay attention.
For these years if I spent a hundred bucks on RC seeds I would be surprised.

Side Effects are none, zip, nada for me anymore. I have never hallucinated with the very low doses I use, in fact I feel the same effect I do from a couple advil or tylenol. There was some lethargic feelings for a few hours after a dose initially that followed when first I tried them . Life is currently at 110%. I no longer walk with fear that at any moment I may be looking for the door to suffer in silence.

Thanks ClusterBusters I count myself as one.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:24am by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 1:52am

Annette,
No, I am not trying to say people oppossed to these methods should not speak their mind.  You on the other hand have spoke your mind, and spoke your mind, and spoke your mind, asked a question, spoke your mind, spoke your mind about how your question has gone unanswered, answered your question and spoke your mind, and blah blah blah....

I think it is great you are supporting your husband through his pain, this really says something about your character.  At the same time, you are comparing people to snake oil salesman and accussing people of trying to drum up buisiness.  For someone who is not getting worked up about something you sure have a lot to say about something.  

You, in your number of posts, mentioned a letter from Dr. Sewell.
"I have attached the paper that I co-wrote with John Halpern and Harrison Pope describing our observations on the psilocybin treatment. I encourage you to take it to your neurologist and discuss it with him before trying anything!"
Is it possible we can see this letter?

You also mention personal accounts of people having really bad effects trying the treatment.  Is it possible you can give us those accounts in some way.  I am really curious to hear those as well.  I would like to read up as much as possible, educate myself, weigh up and down all the risks involved both medical and legal, before making the decision to use or not to use for the treatment of my pain.  Can you respect that?

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:36am

Quote:
Annette,
No, I am not trying to say people oppossed to these methods should not speak their mind.  You on the other hand have spoke your mind, and spoke your mind, and spoke your mind, asked a question, spoke your mind, spoke your mind about how your question has gone unanswered, answered your question and spoke your mind, and blah blah blah....

Is there a limit on how often one can post in this thread? I kept speaking because my original questions were never answered properly apart from " go to CB website and read for yourself ". When I went to the site and read the latest annual report, I found more things I wished to talk about . Whats wrong with that ? Or is discussion discouraged ?

For someone who is not getting worked up about something you sure have a lot to say about something.  

It can be called " getting worked up " or it can be called " passionate ". People do talk at length about things they are passionate about. My passion is to find out as much information as I can on BOTH the efficacy AND the potential risks and problems.

You, in your number of posts, mentioned a letter from Dr. Sewell.
Is it possible we can see this letter?

This letter is a copy of the case study done by Dr Sewell and its copyrighted. I can not post it here publically without his permission. BobW has a copy of it and I am sure if you write to Dr Sewell directly he will send you one as well, or you can ask CB as I believe this study had been presented at their conference and dicussed extensively. Or you can purchase it online, I can give you the link if you wish.

You also mention personal accounts of people having really bad effects trying the treatment.  Is it possible you can give us those accounts in some way.  I am really curious to hear those as well.

The people who have told me their stories dont wish to share their experience publically and I need to respect their wish. I recommend you spend time getting to know the people on this board , you will slowly get to know their stories.

I would like to read up as much as possible, educate myself, weigh up and down all the risks involved both medical and legal, before making the decision to use or not to use for the treatment of my pain.  Can you respect that?

Of course I respect that. I have no doubt about the efficacy of psilocybin, LSA and LSD in the treatment of CH. My only concern is the legality of the material currently available, namingly seeds, mushrooms and LSD ( I dont even know where people can get LSD from ), and the short term as well as long term side effects of using them for CH. If you or anyone have done the homework, are fully aware of both the risks and the benefit of the treatment and choose to use it then Kudos ! I just dont wish to hear it made out to be safer than it may realistically be  

IP Logged

Annette
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 3:43am

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:13pm:
Anette, have you another nit to pick, or can we hope you soon stop hogging this thread?

Smiley

Is what I am posting here considered "hogging" the thread ?

Why and how is it " hogging" the thread ? I would consider it formal discussion instead. Are you telling me that I am not allowed to post in this thread anymore and that I should shut up ? That only people who have something good to say about the topic should post ?

IP Logged

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

St. Maarten/Neth. Antilles
Reply #73 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:31am

Annette,
You are way out of line. Accusations of blackmail, dubious motives and outright misinformation is uncalled for and unappreciated. If ever there was a group of folks that have been more annal about preaching self education and caution, I don't know who they are.
I for one, couldn't give a rats a-ss if studies are done or not. It's a selfish attitude I know but the stuff worked for me and didn't need a study to tell me that.

BTW it is not illegal everywhere. This is a universal website and the information goes where it is needed. Many can buy, grow and use without fear  

Give it a rest my dear, step back and chill. Ask your questions but not in the tone of a petulant child.
added
For the rest of you, I apologize for allowing this person to get to me this way. This thread was meant to be helpfull I'm sure, but has become adversarial and that is a shame.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:48am by karma »  

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #74 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 9:27am

Quote:
Therefore, regardless of the outcome of these trials, the recommendation to people choosing to use seeds and mushrooms for CH should still be " make sure you read up as much as possible, educate yourself, weigh up and down all the risks involved both medical and legal, bearing in mind that there are a lot we dont yet know, before making the decision to use or not to use " .

Once the person does that , I most sincerely respect that decision.

Annette, do you honestly think that any of us who have chosen to try an alternative route to combat our CH did not educate ourselves thoroughly, weighing the pros and cons, both medical and legal before making our decisions? 

Do you think that we are sheep who blindly follow our shepherd? 

Do you think that we don't have the brains to research something that will impact our lives either good or bad?

We were told, right from the get-go by Clusterbusters to read, research the pros and cons of using alternatives, both medical and legal.  We did our research.  We thought long and hard about the ramifications of ingesting an illegal drug.  We are aware of the laws and made informed decisions on our own, individually, with no coercion from Clusterbusters or anyone else. 

Your comment above is insulting to us.  Please do as you said:

"Once the person does that , I most sincerely respect that decision."

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 30
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!