Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted (Read 167044 times)
bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Re: Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted
Reply #400 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 5:48am

Hi All,

Michael's reaction to p.c. mushrooms is the same as it was to LSD; his headaches completely disappear a few hours after ingestion. He has taken the mushrooms 4 times now with the same reaction each time. The problem is that after 4 days they return, also the same as with LSD. We're in the process of altering the dosage and/or the spacing of his dosing in the hope of lengthening his PF time. One element of the problem is the Methadone he takes to partially numb the pain of CH. Methadone is the only drug that has helped him in the long term. It's very addictive and he's been taking it for a long time. He's going "cold turkey" out of necessity since an error in calculating his supply led him to take more of the narcotic than he should have on his birthday and on other occasions this month when he thought he could take more so as to hurt less. We're both at fault. Me for not monitoring his usage more closely. Him for taking more than he should have when he thought he had more than he did. It won't kill him but he's really miserable. In the long run it's a good thing because breaking an addiction like this by gradually weaning oneself from it voluntarily is rarely successful.

Can anyone out there offer any suggestions that could ease his discomfort while he's detoxing? He dosed yesterday so his CH's are gone for a few days. He's very lucky that the mushrooms work as well as they do for him. They completely eliminate the pain of his CH's, so all he has to deal with is the withdrawal. A lot of you would probably trade your CH's any day for narcotic withdrawal but any of you that have had to go through it know that it's far from easy and very uncomfortable. My son is really going through a rough time right now. If anyone can help, we would both very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #401 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 3:13am

lots of o2
ice water treatment
hot or cold showers
an ice cube on top of his head
back of the neck rub
physical activity- jogging, chopping wood, biking
keep the air in the house as  humidified as you can get it
pray

going med free is hard but it can be done.
my results didn't take full effect until about 3 weeks after i busted. that first day when it wears off is just horrific. be patient. you'll get though it. only another week or 2

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #402 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:49am

Thanks a lot Johnny. Your advise is very much appreciated. I'll let you know if any of it helps.

PF2U

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

lorac
CH.com Old Timer

Imagine

Tennessee
Reply #403 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 8:00am

Hey Ron.
   Just wanted to say hang in there!   we are all pulling for you.            lorac

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #404 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:23pm

bonkers wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:49am:
Thanks a lot Johnny. Your advise is very much appreciated. I'll let you know if any of it helps.

PF2U

Ron

your welcome ron. please let us know what you did, what worked and what didn't. good luck Smiley

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #405 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:29pm

Thanks for being there for us, you guys.

johnny, we got rid of the o2 tank a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what "ice water treatment" is though he is drinking a lot bottled h2o from the fridge. He wouldn't go for any of the rest of the stuff but I've got a humidifier that I'm going to set up in his room. I saw his Dr. today and he gave me an Rx for clonidine patches that he says are used for withdrawal.

One thing both of us are afraid of is his going through withdrawal and dosing with mushrooms. He feels that the shrooms will heighten his awareness of his withdrawal discomfort and make for an exceptionally bad experience. Anyone with any experience here, please chime in.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

koctail
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #406 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 12:37pm

hi Ron. i don't have an answer to your question, but i have been following your story with your son and i am encouraged by his progress with clusterbusting. i am curious as to how u procured your shoom spores as i note you are in san diego. i am also in CA and from what i have read no retailers will sell them to CA. please email me if u want to provide me some info. id love to find out. thanks.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #407 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 3:37pm

Hi koctail,

I wish I could help you. A dear friend in another state ordered them and I drove several hundred miles to meet her. If you want them badly enough, you could probably do the same. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #408 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 12:37pm

Ron, I can't help you with any information on using shrooms, or anything other than rc seeds with the use of oxygen.

I know my CH is most definitely not like Michael's.  His is much more severe than mine, and, in all honesty, it is possible that his need to use Meth is interfering with all attempts of any kind, shrooms, O2, seeds, whatever to curb his CH.

All I can offer you and Michael is my support in whatever decisions you and Michael make.

I would, however, just because using oxygen now may not be helping, please do not rule it out for future use. 

My combination of rc seeds and oxygen use has kept me pain free for almost four years.  Again, I am not Michael, nor is my CH as severe as his seems to be.

Just don't rule out anything at this point.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #409 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Sandy, I really think we're doing okay. You're right, we didn't get much use out of the r.c. seeds. Same with the O2. Our luck with shrooms, though, is completely different. He's taken them 4 or 5 times now, and each time the relief is complete, leaving no trace at all of his typically constant CH. Each treatment gives him 4-5 days of complete relief and each time the beast returns it's with less energy, less capacity to cause pain. I have no doubt that within a very few months we'll have this thing licked; Michael will have a life and his CH will be controlled with a 3-4/year dose of Magic Mushrooms. No doubt.

Thank you for your interest in my son.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #410 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:31pm

Sandy, we've found that his Methadone use has virtually no effect on Michael's use of the shrooms. It may well have effected the results of his attempts to use O2 and r.c. seeds. Along with our current success in using the shrooms, Michael has been able to drop his use of Methadone from 10/day to 6/day. He's using a Clonidine patch to help with the withdrawal and it's very effective. Give us a couple of more months and the Methadone will be a thing of the past.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #411 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 5:26pm

Ron,

The news from you and Michael just keeps getting better and better, thank gosh.

Michael deserves some kind of resilliency award for hanging in there until something worked, and the way that you have researched and stuck with it and finally found something that works for him after the medical profession has offered a big fat zero, well that is inspiring and you have my strong admiration.  Smiley

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #412 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 8:35pm

You know, bejeeber, I really don't mean to boast but I think maybe I'm more proud of what I've been able to do to help my son with this horrible affliction than I am of maybe anything I've ever done. This running narrative of what we've been doing, I hope has been helpful to others. I would like at some point to find a way to ease the fears that others have of using these substances as weapons against CH. With enough support and positive reports from people like us who have been successful using these substances, maybe we can decriminalize their use for Clusterheads, much like what has been done with marijuana for cancer patients and those with glaucoma.

Ron 

-Blake

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #413 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Michael just went back to bed. The mild/moderate headache he's had almost all day today finally got to be too much. This was the 4th day since his last dose of mushrooms. Three days of absolutely no pain whatsoever. This is how it's happened the last four times; he doses, a few hours later his head completely clears and it stays clear till the 4th day when it starts to come back.

It does seem that each time the CH returns, it returns with less energy than it had before he dosed. That's great! He's dropped down from 10 methadone/day to 6 on the days when he has the headaches and we're going to drop the shroom dosage a little each time too.

If the effectiveness of the shrooms will just last 1 or 2 more days, he'll be headache-free!!!!! Then we can start lengthening the time between doses till he can hopefully be taking just a maintenance dose once or twice a year.

-Blake

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide
Reply #414 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 5:14pm

Published online today:

Matthias Karst, John H Halpern, Michael Bernateck, and Torsten Passie: The non-hallucinogen 2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide as preventative treatment for cluster headache: An open, non-randomized case series. ''Cephalalgia.'' first published on March 26, 2010; [OnlineFirst PDF]

Free full text until March 31st, 2010

Found here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #415 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 5:21pm

I can't wait to get home and read this tonight.

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #416 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 8:34pm

Ron, how is Michael doing?  Hoping things are getting a little better for him.

Please keep us posted.  We care about both of you.

Sandy

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: 2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide
Reply #417 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 8:53pm

cluster wrote on Mar 26th, 2010 at 5:14pm:
Published online today:

Matthias Karst, John H Halpern, Michael Bernateck, and Torsten Passie: The non-hallucinogen 2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide as preventative treatment for cluster headache: An open, non-randomized case series. ''Cephalalgia.'' first published on March 26, 2010; [OnlineFirst PDF]

Found here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Just starting to browse the highlights and a couple things jump out at me:

"All patients, who were seriously
affected by the disease, were non-responders to
verapamil"...

...."The results show that three single doses of BOL-148
within 10 days can either break a CH cycle or considerably
improve the frequency and intensity of attacks, even
resulting in changing from a chronic to an episodic form,
with remission extending for many months or longer."

..."the potential breakthrough treatment of BOL-
148 warrants wide dissemination of these early findings
to encourage aggressive development to randomized
controlled trials."

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: 2-bromo-lysergic acid diethylamide
Reply #418 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 9:28pm

cluster wrote on Mar 26th, 2010 at 5:14pm:
Published online today:

Very interesting, and very impressive.  Thank you for posting this.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #419 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 9:31pm

Personally, I think this important development deserves its own thread. 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #420 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 10:51pm

Thanks for the great news, cluster!

Hi Sandy_C,

Michael's doing extremely well, thank you. The Beast isn't dead but he's badly wounded. Michael's had several doses of shrooms, each with the same effect: He'll be lying in bed CH'ing, dose (2.5g seems right for him), 4-6 hours later his CH COMPLETELY disappears, he'll remain absolutely perfect for the next 3 days, spend 1 day with a mild headache, back to CH'ing. Each time the Beast returns, it's with less energy, less ability to do damage. Blacking out is a thing of the past. He's taking 1/2 as much methadone as he was 6 weeks ago. We have no idea what will happen; the shrooms may stop working; the Beast may get tired of getting beat-up and leave, never to return; we may reach a point where there is still some headache, but it's no big deal. Right now, he's getting better all the time and we couldn't be happier! We have no doubt that he will now be able to have a life. Glory, glory Hallelujah!

Love to All,

Ron 

-Blake

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #421 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 12:00am

bejeeber, agree that you should make your posting a separate thread indeed. I think this is important stuff. Science is slowly catching on with the great work the Clusterbusters have been doing. Bravo.

IP Logged

cluster
CH.com Old Timer

WaterX3 - It helps!

Cologne(Europe)
Reply #422 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 7:04am

Added April 8th, 2010: The following remarks were made refering to a message which has been deleted.
-----------------
Hi Paul,

excellent book, thank you very much! Unfortunately I couldn't find anything at all about cluster headache in it.

These are my three favourite "power tips" out of the 101:

Quote:
Eat plenty of carrots; they are good for your eyes.

Avoid irritating people. Anger and irritation are
major causes of headaches.

If you find it impossible to stay away from dust at
least wear a gas mask.

I'll try - and hope this helps. Any suggestions on how to eat carrots while wearing a gas mask?

The following tip is not quite as good as the other ones, because daytime napping may trigger cluster headache in some people:

Quote:
Take a 20 minute power nap during your lunch break.

best wishes!
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2010 at 8:44am by cluster »  

Cluster Headache News: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - German CH Site
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #423 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:32pm

Ron, I am so thrilled to hear that Michael is improving so much!  He's getting his life back right now, and if things keep on keeping on - he will be whole again.

Hugs to both of you

Sandy

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #424 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:49am

Hi Sandy_C,

I don't know how to do the little, yellow-face thingies, so just imagine 2 of 'em with great big smiles.

Hugs back,

Ron and Mike

-Blake

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!