Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted (Read 166482 times)
Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted
Reply #100 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:26am

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:38am:
...does anyone know how the stuff actually works?

What part of the body/nervous system/neural pathways it affects?  And why?

More information along these lines will be gladly accepted.

Hey Brian.  All good comments.  

I had to edit my previous post, things don't fall from my brain to the keyboard so viewable, I usually like to separate thought and writing, the latter can be painfully readable when trying both at the same time, and thought the spelling error in this particular thread between re-creation and recreation was a very bad one.  Roll Eyes

Here's an Aussie written article, can't attest to its accuracy about Dr. Hofmann's search for migraine therapy, but it's mentioned.

Quote:
...the result of a rather unorthodox experiment. Five years earlier, in a search for novel therapeutic agents to treat migraines, Hofmann had combined an ergot alkaloid, lysergic acid, with a diethylamine building block to create the 25th molecule in a series of lysergic acid compounds.

Hofmann and his colleagues didn't have access to modern brain scanners; but PET (positron emission tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) technology can now provide insight into how the brain responds to LSD. But to explain how LSD influences the mind, brain scanning has limitations, says Iain McGregor, director of the psychopharmacology laboratory at the University of Sydney.

"You can put in radioactive LSD to give you a much better idea of distribution and binding sites in the brain -- indeed such data are available in animal studies," he says. "You could do a brain scan to confirm that the 5-HT2A receptor is the principal mode of operation of LSD.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And just googling "how it works", this guy has a slide on it also confirming the same receptor and a nice picture.  Certainly not my area of reading and don't know what it says, but nice picture.     Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2008 at 11:33am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #101 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 1:04pm

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 12th, 2008 at 2:38am:

Long may the discussion continue and it's especially interesting to learn that the safety bit has already been carried out, but does anyone know how the stuff actually works?

What part of the body/nervous system/neural pathways it affects?  And why?

More information along these lines will be gladly accepted.

The question is a big one. Many answers are speculative still.

I dont think science has advanced far enough to definately answer the question.

In the past much research has been done on the hallucinogenic issue and pshycological issues but really not much has been conducted regarding cluster headaches and the efficacy thereof with the CB treatments.
An awfull lot of work has been done by Cluster busters, citizen scientists and a few researchers legitamately on CH and CB but the true and total answers dont exist yet as to how the treatments work to abort and bypass cluster headaches.  I am pretty sure,
A lot of well researched speculation is and has happened but we are still miles away from answering the question totally as to what really happens with the mild CB doses that eliminate CH for many.

A very large amount of the medications we all use have this same question sitting there.
Verapamil, Lithium, sansert, tylenol etc. etc.. none know precisely why they work for some with CH and not for others.

I think that first the question of What causes CH(?) would have to be answered with complete confidence.
The combined research of CB medications that help many and research on CH itself may ultimately help to answer a lot.

My question how do we speed the reasearch process beyond where its at? Is it possible to answer the question.

A Goadsby article from 99 the uncertainty is there and incoclusive for CH research and its cause, though a lot of tremendous research has gone into it..

MJ

IP Logged

CArl
Ex Member

Reply #102 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:59am

icculus wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:12pm:
has anyone ever been hit while dosing?
i think that could be catastrophic...

Hello Icculus,

In answer to your question "Yes" I have been hit whilst dosing, & it's not a pleasant experience.

However, the thought is always at the back of my mind. I am doing this for a very good reason. To get rid of the Clusters, a small price to pay IMHO.
It's all about being in the right frame of mind, & in comfortable suroundings, with your 02 to hand.

As Bob has said, most sufferer's can abort a cycle with very low doses, & suffer very little side effects at all. Some sufferer's (myself included) need larger doses. Most Busters will suffer increased activity for several days after dosing, & sometimes longer. This is common, & to be expected.

I have now found that a mixture of RC's, & Psilocybin to be the most effective for me personally, but I would always suggest a low dose to begin with.

CArl...

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #103 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:52am

I most certaily have used psylocybin. It is now illegal here. When I did use it it definitely had a good effect. It shortened one of my cycles. Unfortunately lets say for arguments sake I had to grow my own in another country where it is still legal. The crop was great but after being dried it lost it's potency. However it did stop shadows for about 4 months.

I believe the best way to use it is in a preventative way say doses every 3 to 4 months throughout the year.

This year however, my episode is quite severe and I am left with having to attempt growing again to try and counter next years episode.

I think it is very good for preventing CH BUT if you don't have it, or it does not work then 02, sumatriptan and veraparmil are good to have around.

I have had CH since I was a child but I don't remember getting them in the late 60s and early 70s and I think I know why. LSD and psylocybin.

It is definitely in my plan to use it again when I have a crop of reasonable potency.

Reccommended.

ET. xx

ET

IP Logged

ozzy
CH.com Alumnus

As I Am

Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Reply #104 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 9:25pm

icculus wrote on Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:12pm:
has anyone ever been hit while dosing?
i think that could be catastrophic...

i know from my Grateful Dead days, my g/f freaking out because her balloon popped Cheesy

i also know that if i ever turn chronic, i'd be busting out the black light and funky velvet glow in the dark posters.

I have tried the clusterbusters treatment. I was somewhat successful the first time. But as  a chronic, success is relative. For me everytime I dose with shrooms, it is a six hour ordeal. I kip 8 that lasts for the whole time.

Yet, I wouldn't trade it for anything as it provides me some relief. If I was episodic I wouldn't doubt treating the beast to some potent medicine.

Shrooms probably have the least amount of side effects than most conventional medicines. You would have to dose big quantities to have life altering effects. Even then you are probably bettere off having a life altering event.

If you suffer from mental illness to begin with you shouldn't go this way. Maybe Lithium is a better way to balance you.
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2008 at 9:29pm by ozzy »  

IP Logged

fiftyamp
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|philly|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #105 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 3:08pm

The Shrooms work for me.  I've been Ep. since 97.  I only get 1 month long cycle per year, and I have busted it with shrooms the last 4 years.  I get nailed with kip 9s the day after dosing, but only mild shadows the following 3-4 days.  I need to use about a 1/8 ounce to bust.  Small amounts seem to only prolong the cycle for me, so I try to get it out of the way all at once.  I hate the tripping felling, but I hate the CHs more.  The hardest part for me, is finding the shrooms in the first place.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #106 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 6:08pm

As posted in a recent thread:

A very friendly person once helped me to try the CB method with mushrooms.  Previously all I had to rely on was imitrex, verapamil and Oxygen.  All of which have their limitations, side effects, and in the case of imitrex, high cost. 

The detox process to make sure the CB method worked was brutal because I was in a cycle.  I didn't want to doubt the effectiveness, though, so I followed it and had no verapamil or imitrex prior to, and during the CB process.

I took the 3 doses, 3 weeks apart as explained.  I can honestly say that it convinced me that I'd never want to take mushrooms to get high.  I didn't like the feeling at all, and it was only a small dose.  During these 3 weeks I continued to get headaches, but less & less.  After the last dose, I still got a couple of headaches, but bery minor ones, and then they went away... many weeks before they'd be expected to.  They stayed away for 10.5 months, which was also way longer than expected.  I had a completely PF spring & summer.

The beast has since come back, and because of my being scared to buy, and then not trust mushrooms, and my lack of desire to grow them or my likely inability to do it well, I can't repeat the success, so it's back to the meds for now.

It worked, though, and I was skeptical as anyone could possibly be.

As a side note, oxygen never worked as an abortive for me before. It would deaden the pain, but I'd get off the O23 and get hit harder.  My l;atest sycle post CB, allowed for me to use O2 ery successfully as an abortive instead of imitrex until my verapamil kicked in.  Now, I am regretting not having tried to procure or grow mushrooms, though, because I just dont want to be on Verapamil long term.  It has too many side effects... ask my toilet, my girlfriend and probably a slew of my internal organs. 

I brought all of this up to my doctor, and she basically told me to forget about it.  It wont be something that is looked at as a clinical alternative in the US, and as such she wont even talk about how it worked for me.

I wish there would be some action on this, though... what a safe, natural, amazing way to help so many people without all of the nasty side effects and costs, but I suppose that is the very reason it will be brushed under the carpet for generations to come.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Sophie
CH.com Junior

x1|Omaha|USA|usa|279|123|NE,Nebraska
Reply #107 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:45am

I have not posted here for a long time, and had a tough time getting signed on. I did want to stand up and be counted, so I have spent some time getting here. I probably wouldn't have kept trying to post if I didn't feel it was so important to be counted. I am episodic and have had excellent results using Clusterbuster treatments.
That is such a weak statement. I don't know what words would discribe how I feel. But the bottom line is, for me to choose this path, was the best thing I did for my health. And I repeat, for me it was the smartest move I made in regards to CH.
I will be forever grateful to a guy named Flash, and the people that he led me to. If you read the Clusterbuster faqs, I think you will see his name.
I would also like to say, that it is hard to read any bad remarks directed at BobW. The work he has done and the way he shared his knowledge has helped so many of us. I don't know if we will ever know how many, but we might get a good estimate from this thread.
And you know, he didn't have to do it. He saw some hope and chose to share.
I am standing and I want to be counted.  Sophie/Stellablue/Leslie

WHERE ARE WE GOING?&&AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?&&&&Cluster Buster

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #108 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:39am

How the heck is Flash?

I sure miss him.  We used to have some fun chats.

Tell him I say hi and hope all is well with him. Wink

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #109 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 6:25pm

Sophie wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 12:45am:
I have not posted here for a long time, and had a tough time getting signed on. I did want to stand up and be counted, so I have spent some time getting here. I probably wouldn't have kept trying to post if I didn't feel it was so important to be counted. I am episodic and have had excellent results using Clusterbuster treatments.
That is such a weak statement. I don't know what words would discribe how I feel. But the bottom line is, for me to choose this path, was the best thing I did for my health. And I repeat, for me it was the smartest move I made in regards to CH.
I will be forever grateful to a guy named Flash, and the people that he led me to. If you read the Clusterbuster faqs, I think you will see his name.
I would also like to say, that it is hard to read any bad remarks directed at BobW. The work he has done and the way he shared his knowledge has helped so many of us. I don't know if we will ever know how many, but we might get a good estimate from this thread.
And you know, he didn't have to do it. He saw some hope and chose to share.
I am standing and I want to be counted.  Sophie/Stellablue/Leslie

Hi Leslie!!!   Kiss

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #110 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 7:24pm

BobW and the CB gang have a LOT to be proud of............but it's not pride, rather, it is publicly acknowledging what they have found to be true.
1-Truth- no 2 CH'ers are the same
2-Truth-there are many different prevents/controls/aborts available to CH'ers
3-TRUTH-RC seeds and pychos...arrrrggghh....that stuff.........have been proven to have a considerable amount of success with CH
4-TRue-each CH'er will have to work through the options to find what-and at what strength, might work for them.
5-TRUE-Bob etal are very PLEASED to have made THIS much advancement, but the'd like to do more.
6-True-EVERY SINGLE TIME A CH'ER FINDS SOMETHING TO MAKE THEIR LIFE MORE MANAGEABLE, THE WORLD SHOULD KNOW.
7-The CB group is as far from in-your-face, rude arrogance as anyone! they ARE, however, ready again to spread the word..........and get more feedback! Sure, they are passionate..THEY ARE SUFFERERS, TOO!  They're not asking you to buy their seeds, potions, etc.............they are asking success stories to stand up and be counted.........no offense intended to anyone there............
NOw, if you do not wish to participate in CB, you don't have to, but, like eveythings else that MIGHT be on the horizon for CH.......kep your eyes peeled........there might be something out there to help YOU, too!

Good on ya, CB Gang!
A supporter, not a sufferer,
Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Sophie
CH.com Junior

x1|Omaha|USA|usa|279|123|NE,Nebraska
Reply #111 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Hi Nani  Kiss

Leslie

WHERE ARE WE GOING?&&AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?&&&&Cluster Buster

IP Logged

Darrell
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Cleveland
Reply #112 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 10:43pm

I am presently in a successful fight using shrooms at a sub-recreational dose  of .75 gm. After a month pain free last September, my CH had been active to varying degrees until I put a stop to it with 5 doses separated by one week each.  Through this Wednesday I was pf for two weeks, when I had one beer that set off a half hour kip 2 hit.  I immediately did another .75 gm. which seems to have put a stop to any possible resurgence.

I have been experimenting with shrooms for about five years now, trying to find the most successful regimen for me.  They have always  worked to some degree as an abortive, but I want to see preventive success, and I believe I may have found the correct dosing regimen.

COUNT ME

IP Logged

SchwarzenSchafe
CH.com Junior

x0|Saskatoon|Canada||0|0|SK,Saskatchewan
Reply #113 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 11:18pm

I only read the first post, I just want to stand up and be counted. Mushrooms saved me, I've only been diagnosed a year and half or so, but I've suffered for almost 1.5 decades, so being able to control it with psychadelics is incredible. Nothing else works, oxygen is the next best solution, and it leaves me hooked up to an oxygen tank 1/2 the day, spending an enormous amount of money on treatment - and I'm still in pain! Shrooms cost next to nothing, they WORK, and I'm incredibly thankful to people like bob and others that got this info out on the net so I could find it.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #114 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 1:47pm

Damn, wrong thread, just count me again. Cheesy
thebb Grin

bump Shocked

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #115 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 1:55pm

Darrell wrote on Jun 22nd, 2008 at 10:43pm:
I am presently in a successful fight using shrooms at a sub-recreational dose  of .75 gm. After a month pain free last September, my CH had been active to varying degrees until I put a stop to it with 5 doses separated by one week each.  Through this Wednesday I was pf for two weeks, when I had one beer that set off a half hour kip 2 hit.  I immediately did another .75 gm. which seems to have put a stop to any possible resurgence.

I have been experimenting with shrooms for about five years now, trying to find the most successful regimen for me.  They have always  worked to some degree as an abortive, but I want to see preventive success, and I believe I may have found the correct dosing regimen.

COUNT ME

Hi Darrell!  Kiss

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #116 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:50pm

As a primary chronic, efficacy with any drug is fleeting at best. I have been busting for 4-5 years now and though it hasn't been the "silver bullet", it has given me more relief than anything else I have tried.

I, for one was unable to detox completely. I am still to this day taking 480mg of verap daily, but still realize good efficacy from busting, whether it's with LSA, LSD or psilocybin. I have no doubt but that if I can ever completely detox from verap, that I would have much better results.

BobW, aside from being one of the most caring and selfless men I have ever met, is quite simply my hero. All of the CB's right down to the last person are what we call here in the South, "good people." I can't remember a single derogatory remark directed at anyone else on that board as long as I have been there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk anyone here into anything. As Sgt. Friday used to say, "Just the facts Maam."

Bobb

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #117 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:58am

Hi Bobb!!!   Kiss

IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #118 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:12am

Hi Nani!!   Kiss

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

Drew37
CH.com Junior

x0|Bracebridge|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #119 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:08pm

count me  in  ...
episodic, this works like turning off the switch.
Marijuana for medicinal purposes is legal & governmentally controlled & grown  ( here in Canada anyway)   I hope they look at this form of
treatment for 'us' again.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2008 at 9:46pm by Drew37 »  

Some sinus infection !!

IP Logged

Flounder
CH.com Alumnus

sing sweet songs to rock
my soul

x0||USA||||TX,Texas
Reply #120 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:13am

Count me!!!!!

Changed my life!!

I'll add more later but it's been exhausting reading this thread and it's past my bedtime.

Mitch

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #121 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:48am

Hi Mitch!   Kiss

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #122 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 12:03pm

HI Nani!

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #123 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:10pm

Count me again!!!!

It has been almost a month and no fullblown ch!!!  Nothing but a twinge every now and then.  This is the first time I have felt "normal" mentally and phsically in over 2 years.  Cheesy  I almost forgot what that felt like.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

I LOVE MY RC SEEDS!!!

Beth

IP Logged

andrewjb
CH.com Hall of Famer

when the love of power
becomes the power of
love !

x1|london|England|europe|185|238|
Reply #124 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Smiley, yes count me. altered with psilocybin, maintained with RC seeds. thanks to this, and the clusterbuster sites. andrew.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!