Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 2nd, 2024, 6:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How to win a dispute with the ER »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Jul-Sep 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   How to win a dispute with the ER
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to win a dispute with the ER  (Read 536 times)
RevDeFord
New Board Old Timer

Pain is real if the neighbors know you have it!

WWW Email

How to win a dispute with the ER
« on: Sep 28th, 2003, 12:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Folks, I used to work at a major hospital. My job was to track and record patient satisfaction surveys, which were given to all patients who had recieved care from my institution.

Hospitals have to endure a rigorous audit process - it used to be every 3 years - by an organization called the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations(JCAHO).  This review is intense and puts all in administration on edge, because without accreditation, it becomes difficult to get full qualifying insurance payments in addition to higher premiums for medical malpractice and liability.  It is a huge thing.

JCAHO covers training levels, infection control policies, human resources, and Patient Satisfaction.  Hospitals must address your concerns if you do things in the right way.  Most of the time, if they don't follow up, it is because they don't think you know the right avenues to really get them in trouble.

Here is my advice.  Write the CEO of the hospital, in as professional a letter form as you can.  Make sure the grammer is correct and the words are properly spelled.  Start out like this.......

Dear __________(CEO's name - can be found on the hospital's website, or brochures.)

I am writing conerning my visit to your Emergency room on ___________.  I came to your ER because_______________(it may be because it is a convenient location, it has a good reputation, etc.).  However, despite _______________, the care I received was not what I expected of a first class instituation.

Now explain briefly the time of arrival, the triage process, and the reason for the visit.  Then directly address the problem.

Close with this......

It is my understanding that your hospital participates in the Joint Accreditation of Healtcare Organizations Accreditation process.  It is my hope that you will follow up with all the parties involved in this problem quickly.  It concerns me that if I received this quality of care, that there may be others less fortunate than myself that have received the same or worse care.

Sincerely.

By mentioning the JCAHO, they now know that you know, and JCAHO will hear your complaint if they do not follow up.  If you hear nothing, call JCAHO.  They have a website at www.jcaho.org.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2003, 1:00pm by RevDeFord » IP Logged

I don' know why it hurts, but I pray it will stop.
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: How to win a dispute with the ER
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 1:06pm »

NOW that's something that needs to go on our OUCH website .... We don't have to stand for BAD Treatment, but have to be albe to fight it in the RIGHT way to get results. This is great.  

The more information shared the better off we'll all be. Thanks Rev.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 1:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Couldn't agree more Rev.

Last time I was mistreated at the ER, my wife (an RN) walked up to the physician and asked for the JCAHO number. She then asked to use his cell phone.

IGot appropriate pain treatment within 5 minutes.

Which reminds me.

SUPPORTERS RULE
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2003, 1:19pm by don » IP Logged
ShariRae
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

83098455 83098455    
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 1:52pm »

Wow Rev...
 This could prove to be invaluable to those of us (almost all of us) who have gotten less than quality care.  
Thank You
Shari
IP Logged

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Jim R
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always question authority....

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 3:18pm »

As someone who works for hospitals as a consultant now and one who worked for years  as a director of medical records, I can confirm everything the Rev has said.  Do nNOT stand for bad treatement.  If the hospital is NOT JCAHO accredited, which many aren't these days) they are reviewed and certified by their respective states and Medicare - other avenues to report it.

Jim R
IP Logged

"Hammer of the Gods..." (pounding on my head...) and isn't Bowie great?!
Proud member of OUCH
Episodic Clusterhead since 1978
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 3:21pm »

Hey Don,
This might be something for OUCH to put a committee on - to get all this info together and get some form letters together and on the OUCH site for people who are mistreated and maybe we'll start getting something done about our treatment.  

It's something to work on.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 6:00pm »

You're rocking and a rolling Rev !!! Thanks !
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 6:20pm »

JCAHO also requires all hospitals to give patients (before treatment, if possible, such as at ER Registration) a form titled Patients Rights.

It is a list of about 10 rights, such as being entitled to proper diagnosis and care.

Ask for yours and use it as a reference.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
This might be something for OUCH to put a committee on

Sounds like the work for a Chapter. In fact NJ/PA is already working it.
IP Logged
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 6:40pm »

good thread Rev......

Now does anyone know a good way to lobby Med schoolsand/or the A.M.A.  for more training for doctors on CH? And it would also help the nursing departments to get some "In Service" briefings as well.

Former C.N.A. thinking too much,
Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 7:00pm »

Ramon........that's a great idea!  Medical and Nursing Schools next.
IP Logged
Dave_Emond
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 7:46pm »

Hi Rev,
 Your suggested letter is almost exactly like the letter I wrote. I added that I had already filled out a "Quality of Incident" form as well, but would not pursue action against the hospital if they met my resolutions.
 (I even added quotes from their website from the "CEO message" and the hospital "Mission Statement"Wink
 I made it clear that it was not the hospital itself I had a problem with, but the treatment of a particular doctor.
 I would also suggest that should treatments like this happen to anyone, write down everything you can remember as soon as possible while it's still fresh in your memory. Stick to facts, and don't make assumptions. Keep anger out of the letter if possible (tough part) and be willing to resolve the matter personally to your satisfaction.
 Like the Rev says, if they know you understand your rights, and present them with that knowledge, but at the same time give them opportunity to correct the problem, quick results are more likely.
 The Rev had replied to my first post about my ER visit and had suggested this route to me, and even though this hospital isn't accredited (as far as I could find) with JCAHO, they knew who they were and I'm sure it was a key to the successful outcome.
 Great post Rev!
 Dave
IP Logged

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our minds off our goals.
OneEyeBlind
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Yea, I can do this

topnoodle

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 8:10pm »

Ramon, this is exactly what the PA/NJ Ouch Group along with US Ouch is working on.  I was thrilled to be part of the meeting this week that this group had.  I think they have a bunch of good stuff in the works, but I am gonna give our Secretary and Pres a chance to post the details.  I wouldn't want to steal their thunder.
IP Logged

One cannot step twice in the same river, for fresh waters are forever flowing around us.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 8:16pm »

Atta boy Rev.  

Great thread.  Not much has more effect that a well-organized letter....especially when edited for rants.  

Very helpful

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss