Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 2nd, 2024, 8:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Exercise trigger... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Jul-Sep 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Exercise trigger...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Exercise trigger...  (Read 425 times)
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Exercise trigger...
« on: Sep 25th, 2003, 6:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

More specifically, running...  Anyone have running as a trigger for attacks?  By running, I mean 1+ miles.  It is happening to me and the attack onset is similar to when I would drink alcohol.  It doesn't seem to matter what the outside temp is either.  Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

Re: Exercise trigger...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 6:10pm »

Wish I could help ya with this one, but, I get winded walking the shallow stairs in my home.....lol   should never started smokin' Angry

PF,
Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 6:27pm »

Dunno...the only place I run is to the bathroom....

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
ShariRae
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

83098455 83098455    
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 7:59pm »

Exercise has the opposite effect for my ch. As soon as I feel it comin, I have to get movin..running, brisk walking,jumping jacks..anything to get the heart rate up & it will usually help lessen the intensity as well as the duration. So for me..exercise is not a trigger but a bit of relief.
Huggs
Shari
IP Logged

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 8:12pm »

I suspect that a vigorous cardio-vascular workout may help bring a CH attack for me.  I can still lift weights without a problem.  But when I was doing vigorous biking I was assured to get a CH attack exactly 2 hours later.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 10:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I would work out, I would get strong shadows, but can't really pinpoint it as a trigger.  
Unfortunately, my head got so bad that I just stopped working out, and never picked it back up.
I am considering a friends suggestion though to start back in martial arts, Tai Chi to be exact. Wondering if I might learn any pain coping skills from it.
My next approach is acupuncture. Anyone else have any success with Acupuncture?

Peace,
Carl D
IP Logged
C_Sharp

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 11:11pm »

I've been having acupuncture once every two weeks for the last two years. I'm in the middle of a CH episode right now (3-4/day for the last two weeks and still going strong), but this is the first episode since I started acupuncture. Don't know if acupuncture is to credit for that or not, but I always had episodes once a year before that.

So there's my history. The other part of the story is that I've had acupuncture twice already during this episode, and each time I have worse and more attacks on the day following, so that doesn't bode well.
IP Logged
Zonie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 5:30am »

I read somewhere on this board that heat and exercise seem to trigger one for some of us.  I don't exercise very much, but when I do exert myself in the least (ie yard work) I do find that I sweat profusely (I don't perspire....I sweat) and a cluster is right around the corner.  In the last month or so, I cannot even cook a meal without a cluster...just getting hotter than usual.  Of course I live in Phoenix and we are still in excess of 100 degree days.  

As the earlier poster said, while I am in the middle of a CH it seems that if I move around it helps more than remaining still and I can only walk as far as my oxygen cannula will allow.  Oh well, remaining still is out of the question while in full bloom, but I mean move around more than just rocking and groaning.  

I hate to think what would become of me if I took up "running".  Banish the thought.  But, I do think that everyone is different with these things and you'll probably just have to find out what sets yours off more often than not.  Good luck.
IP Logged
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 5:55am »

I've had acupunture. It seemed to buy me a PFD, but that was about it.

I have found the cardio exercise such as running, swimming didnt bring on an attack, but strenuous exercise like weightlifting did?

IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 8:10am »

Yeah I don't think its the exercise itself that triggers me but the fact that getting overheated is a trigger for me.  Like when I first start walking I am fine until I start to get hot, and as I get hotter I start to feel that lovely pressure that means I'm gonna get a CH.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 8:18am »

Chris, we had a run of messages a few months ago about body heating & impact of the surrounding temperature as a trigger. There has been at least one medical journal article I've seen which reported elevated body temp, from work, environment, etc. as a trigger.

Until three years ago, I could always count on an attack after, or during, cutting the grass on a hot day. It was so routine that I'd take Erogmar before starting since it either prevented or reduced the intensity of an attack.

So, yes, running might be the trigger but coming from the elevation of body temperature.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 9:11am »

on Sep 26th, 2003, 5:30am, Zonie wrote:

I can only walk as far as my oxygen cannula will allow.    

Zonie, get rid of that nose thingy and get you a NON RE-BREATHER MASK. An oxygen cannula is useless for clusters.     ..................andy
IP Logged
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 9:16am »

on Sep 25th, 2003, 6:00pm, Prense wrote:
More specifically, running...  Anyone have running as a trigger for attacks?  By running, I mean 1+ miles.  It is happening to me and the attack onset is similar to when I would drink alcohol.  It doesn't seem to matter what the outside temp is either.  Just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

Chris

My experience…. when I’m in cluster (always) and I feel I’m having an attack, often I make sport (running) and I’ve noticed that the attack doesn’t start. It seems that, running, the beast is tired... Counting that I’ve attacks day and night and during all the year along… I should run all the time...  Grin ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ciao, Zaira

IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 12:14pm »

Running is/was a big trigger for me.
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 2:13pm »

I've been a marathoner for 4 years and during my HA seasons, running is my major trigger. I typically have to be exercising with heart rate at 140 or above for about 30-40 minutes, and then after I stop it creeps in.

During a marathon last spring I actually had about a KIP7 from mile markers 6 to 19. Needless to say I wasn't the most social person on the course that day (must have looked like a fairly serious person) but was able to get pretty focused. Couldn't even tell if my knees or anything else hurt that day. It lifted at mile 19 and it was the best time I had ever run. Later thought that there had been many times rolling on the floor that running away from the HA was really what I wanted to do anyway and it worked out okay.

My stubbornness in this situation is that I won't give up 12 weeks of training two weeks before a marathon to avoid the headaches if I start a cycle right before a big run. Sounds stupid but I feel like I'm giving in to the $#%&*'s if I do.

Anyways, the answer is yes. Running will do it for me during cycles. Angry

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 10:19am »

on Sep 26th, 2003, 8:18am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Chris, we had a run of messages a few months ago about body heating & impact of the surrounding temperature as a trigger. There has been at least one medical journal article I've seen which reported elevated body temp, from work, environment, etc. as a trigger.

Yes, I know we did...I cannot relate overheating itself as a trigger though.  It seems to hit me only when I run.  Unfortunately, I don't get to make the decision as to whether I run or not.  Life in the military...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
don

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 10:30am »

Physical exertion has always been a trigger for me.

Trying to get my Doc to Rx brand new lazy boy, all in 1 remote, wide screen TV, and servant. Nothing yet.
IP Logged
Spanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie

Beware the wrath of a patient man......

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 28th, 2003, 10:41am »

Before my heart attack I used to run alot, but it never brought on a CH.

Wes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss