Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Temperature and meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Jul-Sep 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Temperature and meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Temperature and meds  (Read 310 times)
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

Temperature and meds
« on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been looking in the archives, and I can't find anything about this.  I am sure it has been discussed before, but I guess I am not smart enough to find it.  (no snide comments needed, thannnkyew!)

As we all know, some of us respond to applying heat, and others respond to applying cold.  We also know that some respond to one medication, and others to something else.  I am wondering if there is any sort of relationship to what meds work for those that respond to cold, and what meds work for those that respond to heat.

Right now, no meds are working for me except O2 which is about 50% effective.  Back when I had some control, it was with verapamil at 360mg.  Cold applied to the back of my head helps me deal with the beast.

Let me know what works for you, hot or cold and what meds work, both as a preventative and as an abortive.

Just a quick impromptu survey.

Thanks
Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

Re: Temperature and meds
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 4:10pm »

Don't know how you missed this one. Hot works in the shower for me sometimes. Cold ice packs out of the shower sometimes. Topamax most of the time - O2 sometime. Nothing a lot of the time.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 4:34pm »

C. Chuck,

Maybe I'm kinda wierd or something but, My Ha respond to hot on my neck and cold on the eye. Meds have remained the same so far.  
Abortive: Imitrex, Oxygen
Preventative: Verapamil only @ 120 a day (very low)

Guess I'll have to wait til the cycle gets to full swing before I'll have any more info fer ya. But thats what works so far.

I'M ROWIN' OVER HERE! I only got two hands and they're both workin already  Wink

PF,
Ramon
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 5:38pm »

Wink

Hi Chuck....

Cold is the only thing that works for me.  And it has to be icey cold !!!

One more day on Prednisone taper for me.....have taken no meds since the 9th of Sept.  Been pf since I started the taper  Grin

Hope you can find something that works for you.....     ???

Jean   Wink
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 5:56pm »

Hi Chuck,  heat worked for me all the time until last year.  Now it is cold.  I went out and bought one of those headache bands that you keep in the freezer.  When I get a CH, I take the pillow case that covers the O2 set up and wrap that around my head and put the ice band on...pretty picture let me tell you, LMAO!  Especially when I am sucking on the O2 at the same time.  I keep an emergency ice pack in the car as well as my Imitrex inject pack.  I used to use a velour bag filled with rice and microwave it for about 4 minutes and put that right over my eye and let the heat soak in, but cold has won out with the last 2 cycles.  I haven't had any non-working meds, other than Amerge, but this cycle it seems to work.  Took one 2.5mg at bedtime last night and haven't had a CH all day.  Have had shadows for the last hour but no full blown.  Gonna repeat tonight and see what happens!
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 6:07pm »

So far...nothing is working for me as a preventative, and imitrex works great as an abortive.  I am still awaiting the O2.  As for hot/cold...a HOT shower on the back of my neck helps with mild and persistent shadows (kip 3ish).  Beyond that, neither cold or hot anything does much...except coffee!   ;D
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:03pm »

Chuck,

preventatives:  verapamil and lithium (amerge when in cycle)
abortive:  imitrex

Cold....all the time...never heat.  I even threw myself into Lake Ontario in the middle of the night last summer because I felt my imitrex wasn't working fast enough!! LOL...Got the heights of shit from my hon and sailing buddies! LMAO...ah...the good old days!

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
tsayswhy
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:13pm »

Chuck: ice never heat makes it worse. and i rap my head up tight with something to match the pressure {a nurse told me to try this and it helps} i am now off sansert but used O2 GREAT and imitrex pill but they were not working. Smiley
IP Logged

if you are going my way---i will walk with you
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 3:17am »

ALWAYS ice on my temple/eye/back of my head during a hit.  If I am chilly when I feel the beginning of a CH coming (just the pressure not the sharp pains yet) I put  aheating pad on my neck, mostly just cause thats relaxing to me.

The meds I'm on right now SUCK (as you know) Propanolol as a Preventative, no abortive that the doc has given me has worked.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:19am »

Chuck; B4 I new anything about these things and B4 the doc diagnosed me I had no meds. I would pit ice in 2 places,on the back of my neck rt side and on top of my head rt side. this was all I could do to ease the pain. I could not tolorate heat at all. Im not sure but I think the ice numbed the nerves to the point they percieved the pain as a little different which offset the pain we experience as our normal CH pain. Now I have 02, Imitrex,Verapimil,and a little something for the anxiety...Also been pain free for 1mo+... Ice still helps when the pain moves to the top jaw...Surf...A buddy of mine got all his teeth extracted and has been PF ever since with only 2-3 attacks, wonder what the corolation is?...Surf
IP Logged
frenzik
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:52am »

Hi Chuck,

Before I had the preventatives that my nuero precribed I would use a VERY (read: near scalding) hot shower with an ice bag firmly planted on my left eye. At that time I was using Lortabs to kill the pain, but I hate that shit. Makes me feel stupider than I already am. I think the hot shower just helped to get the narcotic to do its job faster. Verapamil and Prednisone are a God-send for me. Started last Wednesday and only one breakthrough HA on Saturday afternoon. Fixed that one with O2 and naproxyn. I'm thoroughly enjoying every PF day.

Never tried hot applications to my head, neck or eye. Guess I'm just a girl thingy when it comes to pain. Thought it might make it worse and didn't want to go there

FWIW,

F2
IP Logged

'The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable - a perpetual series of occasions for hope" John Buchan - date unknown
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 3:13pm »

Hey Chuch... old man ;D

2 years ago I was desperate and I put my head in the freezer... I dicovered that the cold makes me feel better ;D... about the meds for my beast: I think I have tried all meds indicated for the treatement of CH.  
The actual combo which works for me is lithium and verapamil....  

Stay H@rd... Stay strong.... Zaira Kiss
IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 8:31pm »

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:52am, frenzik wrote:
stupider

Grin

on Sep 23rd, 2003, 4:52am, frenzik wrote:
Started last Wednesday and only one breakthrough HA on Saturday afternoon. Fixed that one with O2 and naproxyn.

I can see the O2 aborting but a NSAID??

From rxlist...
After administration of naproxen, peak plasma levels of naproxen anion are attained in 2 to 4 hours, with steady-state conditions normally achieved after 4-5 doses.

Dunno what that really means, but in 2-4 hours, I'm normally PF without meds.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Melissa

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 10:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

last cycle I was only using O2, hot coffee and hot showers as an abortive

this past recent cycle, I was on Depakote and Imitrex, couldn't take hot showers anymore, hurt way too much!  Needed a cold pack on my neck and forehead, and a heating pad on my eye and temple.  Talk about needing more than 2 hands! Wink

Smileymel
IP Logged
litlgriz
New Board Newbie

It could be worse,,,it could be raining!!!!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 10:40am »

i cant count how many nites ive spent w/ out meds,,andmade up for it with an ice pak,sipping hot coffee,,,,,,while standing outside in the cold n dark,,,,,,seems like the colder the better,the tuff part was to not inhale the cold air thru the nose,,,,,,,griz,,,,
IP Logged

,,The lamp is burnin low upon my table top,,,,my glass is almost empty,,,,,,,
litlgriz
New Board Newbie

It could be worse,,,it could be raining!!!!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 10:44am »

hey melissa,,,luv ur tiger,,does he change colors,,,,im color blind,but can see lite n dark,,,,way cool,,,,grizzzzz
IP Logged

,,The lamp is burnin low upon my table top,,,,my glass is almost empty,,,,,,,
Melissa

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 24th, 2003, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 24th, 2003, 10:44am, litlgriz wrote:
hey melissa,,,luv ur tiger,,does he change colors,,,,im color blind,but can see lite n dark,,,,way cool,,,,grizzzzz

yes grizzz he does, and thanks!

Smiley
IP Logged
Zonie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 5:17am »

I use cold only and apply it to the eye, forehead, temple area with MUCH pressure. I use oxygen & cafergot for abortive...works pretty good most of the time, but sure have to use it often...I'm chronic.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss