Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 6:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sumatriptan »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sumatriptan
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sumatriptan  (Read 308 times)
Itz_Me
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sumatriptan
« on: Mar 28th, 2005, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Last night I was in so much pain I was rolling round the floor!! Within 10 mins of my ch starting I gave myself a shot of imi but cant understand why after a whole hour later the pain just kept getting worse  Angry

So I called the Doc, eventually he turned up and gave me another shot, that did the trick in under ten mins!!
This is the first time ive taken these injections and they havent worked near enough straight away. I wonder if im getting immune to them.

I hate taking them anyway and wish I could get my Doc to give me something without so many side effects and easier to take...when im out and about and my ch starts I have to go to the nearest toilet to take them!!

Im also taking 4 pizotifen tablets every eve but getting very down coz my ch arent improving at all.

My Doc told me its ok to take two injection for one ch, is this ok? the leaflet in the box tells me not to!!
jx
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Sumatriptan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 10:25am »

Sometimes it happens where the abortive med won't touch an attack....That sucks!!! Most of the time I can abort with literally 1/3 of an injection......

You may want to look into other types of preventatives.

Here is a great resource to know like the back of your hand    
It will discuss transitional, preventative and abortive meds:

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  Print it out and give it to doctor to memorize!!!  

Demand Oxygen for your house and for travel (can get different size tanks) read and print this out!!!  

http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm

Wishing you the best !!    
Best,    
Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 2:18pm »

The biggest trick to aborting an attack is to hit early - the sooner the better.

Definitely try O2!!!  I use the oxygen at the first twinge of an attack and can abort about 75% with no need for Imitrex.

I've also had the ones where 20 minutes of O2, Zomig Nasal Spray, 200mg of Demerol and 50 mg of Phenergan did absolutely nothing.

Nothing is 100%.  You have to find what works best for you.  Read and print the links that Eric gave you.  Here are a few more that may help.

Here is a link to some non-prescription alternatives different people have used to help with the pain:  

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/non_script_treat.htm

If you are currently taking medications, I would suggest you talk with your doctor before taking any of the nutritional supplements.  At the very least check for interactions at a website such as:  

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home/AllAboutDrugs

Nutritional supplements can interact with prescription meds just the same as some prescription meds interact with each other.  Better safe than sorry where your health is concerned.  

Oxygen is an excellent abortive.  Works for most people when used properly.  Defintely try this.  As well as it works, I have a hard time understanding why more doctors do not prescribe it.  If your doc won't prescribe it for you, you might try welder's O2.  It's the same pure oxygen used by medical suppliers.  Many people here use it and would be more than happy to help you set it up.  Here are some links that tells about using O2:

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/topicsheets/oxygen.html

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html  

Here is a link to a letter that may help explain things to your friends, family and co-workers.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/Cluster%20Headache%20Syndrome.doc

If you haven't already done so, you should check out the Kudzu thread.  Many people are having great success with this.  Read the entire thread as there is information updates all throughout the thread.  

Welcome to our little corner of the web.

IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 7:50pm »

on Mar 28th, 2005, 10:10am, Itz_Me wrote:
My Doc told me its ok to take two injection for one ch, is this ok? the leaflet in the box tells me not to!!

I'm no doctor but I remember Big Dan doing that once and posting quickly here how "not right" and WORRIED he felt and asking for answers, quick.  I've never done that and I am willing to bet my bottom dollar Dan will not again.  

Kevin M
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bluntly itz_me (bluntly is my middle name Grin) my view is that Pizotifen is useless for CH. It is a migraine prevent  and can work well for that, but I have yet to hear of one single Ch'er who it works for. I used it but it made me sleepy, hungry and fatter, and did diddly squat for the CH.

r.e. the Imigran.
Suggestion. Get yourself the 02 set-up available for Ch sufferers here in the UK (i.e. correct tank and regulator and mask) and use Imigran as your "back-up" if 02 doesn't abort. Then you have two abortive options for the attacks, and only any risk if the 02 AND imigran fail twice over in any 24 hours.

I personally don't like how the Imigran makes me feel, hence the 02 as first attack, Imigran as second. 2 doses of Imigran in a short period of time is theoretically "safe" but I wouldn't do it as I feel very bad if I do, and for me that is enough not to do it.

Wendy
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:35am »

on Mar 28th, 2005, 10:10am, Itz_Me wrote:
jx

Quote:
Posted by: Kevin_M Posted on: 03/28/05 at 18:50:57  

I'm no doctor but I remember Big Dan doing that once and posting quickly here how "not right" and WORRIED he felt and asking for answers, quick.  I've never done that and I am willing to bet my bottom dollar Dan will not again.    

Kevin M

This is true, Kevin.  Dan was having a major hit and the trex didn't work, so he took a second shot within about 10 - 15 minutes of the first.  He was having major tightness in the chest and increased pulse rate, head felt like it was gonna explode, sweating like a wh0re in church, all the signs that he needed to get his ass to an ER, but he refused, so we sat with him in chat until the storm blew over.  Scared the shit out of all of us.  I would be willing to bet he'll not do that again.

Itz_me, the way I was told was hit the trex once.  If it still hasn't done anything an hour later you can hit it again.  If you split doses, like many of us do, this is not a problem.  Some people can abort with as little as 2mg - 1/3rd of a shot.  Me, I need 3mg - half a shot.  You should try this.  It doubles or tripples the number of attacks you can abort and gives you room for a second shot during the same hit if the first one doesn't work like it normally does.

If you use the StatDose Kits with the autoinjector, there is a tip to the left on disassembling the injector and giving yourself a partial shot.  I did this for a while until I got the doc to prescribe trex in vials.  With the trex in vials, I use a .5cc, 30 gauge, short needle syringe.  It's much easier to accurately measure out a partial dose and the finer needle makes for a less painful injection.

I'm not saying your doctor doesn't know what he is talking about, but a lot of us have come to realize that doctors are not all knowing.  They do give bad, or maybe in this case, incomplete advice sometimes.  If something doesn't sound right, check it out with your pharmacist or another doctor.  ALSO, I believe OUCH_UK has a 24 hour hotline you can call for advice.  Check out their website and write the number down by your telephone.

And again, check into Oxygen.

Damned filters!  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 5:34pm by Gator » IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 11:41pm »

Hello,

I wouldn't be doing 2 shots if a where you.  I hate even doing one full shot. Half works just as good as one if you do it right.

IT'S ALL IN THE TIMING.  Not only taking it too late, but also taking it too early sometimes it will not work. Once you get used to it, you'll figure out when the time is right.

Good luck,
PFDAN
IP Logged
Itz_Me
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 2:55pm »

Thank you all for you time and helpful advice jx  Cheesy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss