Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 5:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « oxygen mask ?'s now! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   oxygen mask ?'s now!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oxygen mask ?'s now!  (Read 331 times)
trisha
New Board Newbie
USA 

oxygen mask ?'s now!
« on: Oct 27th, 2004, 4:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Aloha! thanks everyone for the 02 help.  I tried it last night.  Set up is okay, I got that down.  I have a nonrebreather mask.  I read something about pinching the nose clip?  What's up w/that?  Am I just supposed to hold it on my face and breathe regular?  I have it up to 10lpm but it makes this funny noise.  It's sounds so loud.  Maybe it's cause it's 3am or something.  Also I read you have to take off the part that goes around your head so you don't fall asleep w/it on?  This is only first time using so any 02 users I appreciate all the advice.  It did work though.  I think I am ending cycle (of course after I went and got the 02 finally) been going 3x a night since Aug 30th.  Last 4 days I am down to only 1 early am one so it's great.  This AM I had maybe a 4 or 5 and w/02 was goners in like 5 minutes!!

Yeah.  Wish I'd done it sooner.  Funny what works for some and not for others.  Melatonin does nothing for me but is great for others.  When I'm up I pray for everyone on this board cause I know there are a lot more people in so much more pain than me!

Embarassed

IP Logged
Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

Re: oxygen mask ?'s now!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 6:10pm »

Good for you  laugh That tank will become your best friend.

I think if the valves (the little rubber or paper thingys covering the holes) are working and the mask fits, you shouldn't have to touch em but many feel they still let in too much air so they pinch them or tape one down.  You should see the bag deflate when you inhale and the flow needs to be high enough to keep it filled (I use about 12 lpm).  

As for the sound I always feel like Darth Vader, with the air flow and the popping sound of the valves every time I breath, lol.  

My 2 cents...PFDAN ~Andy
IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
trisha
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 6:20pm »

Thanks!  Now that you said that it is what it sounds like.  Darth Vadar at the dining room table.  Hee Hee Hee Roll Eyes I was wondering if it was supposed to make that noise.  I guess so.  When I got the mask from the medic guys their was a little rubbery plastic thing on the part where the 02 comes out into the mask and had one on the side.  I took the one off the part where the 02 comes out and put it on the other side.  I hope that was right.  The bag fills up-i just hope there's not some trick to it (breathing I mean).  You just breathe normally right?

Undecided
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 8:17pm »

on Oct 27th, 2004, 6:20pm, trisha wrote:
Thanks!  Now that you said that it is what it sounds like.  Darth Vadar at the dining room table.  Hee Hee Hee Roll Eyes I was wondering if it was supposed to make that noise.  I guess so.  When I got the mask from the medic guys their was a little rubbery plastic thing on the part where the 02 comes out into the mask and had one on the side.  I took the one off the part where the 02 comes out and put it on the other side.  I hope that was right.  The bag fills up-i just hope there's not some trick to it (breathing I mean).  You just breathe normally right? Undecided

You'll get used to the noise. At 3 AM, EVERYTHING is noisy, including your pulse.
The little plastic rubbery things are called diaphrams. They're made to let flow go in one direction, but not the other. Unfortunately, many masks makers skimp on the diaphram construction....one of the most important parts of the mask. The diaphram between the bag and mask is critical. It prevents backflow into the bag, insuring a full load of fresh O2 w/each inhalation. (On some masks, I have to pull it away from my face and press against this diaphram to make sure the bag fills fully w/O2 ASAP.)
The diaphrams on the side are less critical. Tape the little bastids shut.
The nose pinch thingie is part of the form fitting feature of the mask, which usually sucks on a good day. Best results come from forcefully pressing the mask against all parts of your face, so that no outside air enters when inhaling. Remove mask to exhale, then press it in place and suck again. Sounds a little funky, but it makes a difference in getting the most bang for your buck. This isn't the time to get sloppy or lazy by strapping the mask on and reading a book or typing.
Breathing normally usually comes AFTER you've begun to control the ride. At first, huffing hard and emptying the bag is the norm. Once things begin to mellow, normal breathing comes normally. You'll be the first to know when.

Constant vigilance,
RJ

Edited due to missive brevity.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 8:24pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss