Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 10:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Indomethacin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Indomethacin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Indomethacin  (Read 577 times)
tammy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Indomethacin
« on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is anyone familiar with Indomethacin?  I am in the middle of a major attack and went to the er.  I have been on verapamil but isn't working.  The doc gave me this Indomethacin to take 1 25mg capsule three times a day.  Let me know if anyone knows anything about this.  Thanks, Tammy
IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Indomethacin
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have used it in the past. No help at all.

What verapamil dosage are you on?
IP Logged
tammy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:32pm »

Verapamil 180 mg once every day
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:20pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:32pm, tammy wrote:

Try 80 - 120 mg standard release - 3X daily. You aren't taking nearly enough, unless you have problems with your ticker.

Indo's mostly useful for CPH, a close cousin of CH.

Best,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
tammy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:27pm »

Thanks, I think I will go back to the doc and talk about getting a higher dosage of Verapamil.  As for right now, I am in so much pain.  I am at the depressed stage right now I am hurting so bad.  I just feel like I can't live my whole life like this.  I have not gotten any relief and I can't sleep.  Sorry for rambling.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:39pm »

Sorry Tammy - are you using melatonin for sleep? Oxygen to abort attacks? You may find both of those (plus imitrex to abort) helpful. Call your doctor.  hug
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 3:10am »

If Indo is going to help you , you'll notice it within the first week.

Unsolved
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 9:01am »

I found indomethacin to work after 3 days.  It worked for 5 months and then quit working for me.  I tried over 900mg of verapamil.  If that higher dose doesn't work by itself try it with lithium 900mg.  The combo is known to show success when individual failures are seen.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:04am »

Quote:

Thats why. Dosage is to low.
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #9 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 4:14pm »

HI Tammy,  
I'm taking the exact same dose of indomethacin right now. Originally it was prescribed as an abortive, but since I tweaked my neck and couldn't move a few weeks ago I had to take it daily.  

It is an NSAID(non-steroidal anti infalmatory..celebrex, ibuprophen, and naproxen are also NSAIDs.)

Not entirely sure if it, or other med changes are helping the helping the CH, but it is helping my neck....which is guess is helping a CH not to trigger from that neck pain.

When I asked my doc what it would do for my CH, i think he said something about it possibly decreasing  inflamation of the trigeminal nerve.  I'd ask your doc to be sure.

Anyway, be sure to eat something with it.........it can upset your stomach.

Be well and PF,  
lionsound
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2004, 4:17pm by lionsound » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 6:24pm »

Tammy,

Your medications you have been using to go through this cycle seem very undergunned.  The only way it will get better is to improve on what you have to fight with.  More preventives are needed and I don't see an adequate abortive for the pain for the attacks.  Please persist with better care to your doctor, or find one that specializes in headaches.  This is no ordinary small deal that can be tolerated well without getting what you need to fight it.  
  I was very slow in getting things right in the medications department, but it was a lot and much pain which brought me to persist.  Try to not learn the same way, but eventually the pain will instill you to get what is needed, but that was my slow way of doing things.  Keep the search a top priority because not all doctors will be knowledgable or accurate in prescribing adequately.  Find a good doctor and keep working with him/her, it takes time.  The better informed doctor you start with, the faster will come some managability.

Smiley    Keep posting.

Kevin M
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:41pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:20pm, Mr. Happy wrote:

Try 80 - 120 mg standard release - 3X daily. You aren't taking nearly enough, unless you have problems with your ticker.

Indo's mostly useful for CPH, a close cousin of CH.

Best,
RJ

Tammy

What Randy has written about Verapimil dosing is right and IMPORTANT. It should be smaller doses of the standard release (not slow release or modified release)  at 80mg's a time from 240-960mgs per day, taken at regular intervals throughout the day. The dose should be increased every two weeks until prevention is achieved, and an ECG done at each increase to check the effect on your heart.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:42pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 12:05am »

I was doing 120mg 4x a day until this past weekend when I decided to take a break for a week.  That was a lot better for me than taking the extended release 240mg's!
IP Logged

Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #13 on: Oct 4th, 2004, 8:29am »

When I first got Indo, my doc told me to take it when the CH hit.  Kinda like a abortive, this was back in '87 or '88.  All it did was make me puke, then put me to sleep.  The CH didn't go away, just couldn't do anything but pass out, but my knee felt way better!
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 10:50pm »

I am currently on 100mg indomethacin 2 times per day as a prevent.  If I am late on a dose or miss a dose the shadows start showing up relatively soon.

My neuro told me at my last appt. that recent studies have found that indomethacin to be effective in CH for women but not very effective for CH in men.  Yes, CH not cph which indomethacin is also effective with.

Just make sure you give the indomethacin a few days to get working and eat something before taking it.

Good luck,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 7:53am »

Well, all I have to say about indometchacin is that it sucks! It gave me 8 hour regular headache - twice! My doc gave it to me when he didn't believe that I could have CH - it was his method in finding out that I actually did have CH...

best wishes,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 9:25am »

Quote:
My doc gave it to me when he didn't believe that I could have CH - it was his method in finding out that I actually did have CH...  
 Umm- maybe the doc sucks...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #17 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 9:56am »

Verapamil 960 mg  
Topamax 500 mg  
Indomethacin 200 mg  
Wellbutrin 300 mg  
Seroquel 50 mg  
Paxil 30 mg  

As I am coming out of a cycle that lasted approximately two months it took heavy doses of both the Verapamil and Indocin in addition to the other scripts listed above. When I'm not in cycle, the Verapamil is decreased and used as a preventative and I take 50 mg of Indocin prior to doing something that could trigger a CH...like drinking, increased exposure to heat, whatever, etc...

Both times I've been hit with a cycle (after two years of complete relief) were times that I lapsed my Verapamil script. About two weeks off of it and the shadows started shortly followed by the demon himself.  

I'm not a doctor, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but in my opinion Verapamil should be given as a preventative out of cycle continuously as well as Indocin. At least in my experience that's what has worked.  

But as we have all learned from the boards...everyone responds differently.  
IP Logged
elaine8488
New Board Newbie
USA 

CH r the pits

elaine8488   elaine8488

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 1:55am »

I tried indomethacin years ago, and was on it for months,with no help.
IP Logged
AlanG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

alangeisdorf  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:01pm »

My Doctor a neurosurgeon just put me on indomethacin, Today is my first day on it. I am really hoping it will benifit me. its 25mg tabs taken in 12 hour intervals. The only thing that sucks is that there is an alcohol warning with it and ive been using alcohol to blitz my self at night so I can get more than 8 hours sleep without waking up in pain. its strange but alcohol will bring on pain but once im drunk im good to go and dont get bothered with pain in the slightest, I feel terrible the next day from a hang over but thats easier to handle than one attack.
 Im hoping this will help me, if it doesnt then its back to the beer and whiskey.  
 I hope all you other folks are hanging in there well, im trying to.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss