Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 12:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Are CH's a lifelong disorder? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Are CH's a lifelong disorder?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Are CH's a lifelong disorder?  (Read 453 times)
maria9
New Board Veteran

Are CH's a lifelong disorder?
« on: Sep 16th, 2003, 4:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This question frequently comes up on the board here.  The following study (while old) actually addresses this question, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.   Maria

Cephalalgia
Volume 11 Issue 4 Page 169  - September 1991
doi:10.1046/j.1468-2982.1991.1104169.x  

Cluster headache course over ten years in 189 patients  
Gian Camillo Manzoni1, Giuseppe Micieli2, Franco Granella1, Cristina Tassorelli2, Carla Zanferrari1, Anna Cavallini2

One-hundred-and-eighty-nine cluster headache patients, referred to Parma and Pavia Headache Centres between 1976 and 1986 with a disease duration of over 10 years, were interviewed about the course of cluster headache. They were classified as episodic (n = 140) or chronic (n = 49) cluster headache patients on the basis of course during the year of onset. Episodic patients showed the following outcome: maintenance of an episodic form (primary episodic form) in 80.7% of cases, shift towards a chronic form (secondary chronic form) in 12.9% and shift towards an intermediate pattern ("combined" form) in 6.4%. In chronic patients, cluster headache was still chronic (primary chronic form) at the moment of observation in 52.4% of cases, while it turned into an episodic form ("secondary" episodic form) in 32.6% and into a "combined" form in 14.3%. Nineteen patients (10%) had had no attacks for at least three years at the moment of examination. We can conclude from our data that: cluster headache is a disease of long duration, perhaps lifelong; episodic cluster headache tends to worsen; chronic cluster headache may easily turn into a better prognostic episodic form; prophylactic drugs are unable to induce recovery. The following factors seem related to a poor outcome: a later onset, the male gender and a disease duration of over 20 years for the episodic forms.

IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
dougW
New Board Veteran
Canada 

pain is inevitable.   suffering is optional

Email

Re: Are CH's a lifelong disorder?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2003, 9:32pm »

Thanks

Strike 1:   "We can conclude from our data that: cluster headache is a disease of long duration, perhaps lifelong; episodic cluster headache tends to worsen"

Strike 2:   "The following factors seem related to a poor outcome: a later onset, the male gender and a disease duration of over 20 years for the episodic forms"

Strike 3:  after 18 months remission, they're back bigger and better than ever,

Damn,  ruined my day  Smiley

LOL on my way to the oxygen tank.

Doug Wright
IP Logged

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness. I'll meet you there. (Rumi)
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 2:11am »

I have had one or more cycles a year since I was 13. I will be 42 soon...seems like a long time to me. I do know of two folks who haven't had an attack in years, Charlie is one, and a fellow I work with used to get hammered before his 50's...so maybe in a few years I might be finished!

Hanging on....
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 7:34am »

Smiley
Wow, Mark....29 years ???

Guess this is what really flabbergast me. Everyone being so different, and the "beast" being able to hang on to each of us in his own way.

I am female, 56, and had my 1st CH in January of 2002. I had 2 ha's in 2 days....bout scared the hell outta me. Never in my life have I had a ha like that.  I was at our lakehouse, alone, and was awaken with pain that I have never felt before. Scared me so bad, that I stumbled around to find pen and paper , wrote a note to my husband, and children....I honestly thought I would not make it thru the nite.

Had maybe 1/2 dozen or so ha's after that over time, but went into a full cycle in Aug of this year.  

Can't remember many times in my life that I was really scared. There is truly a fear factor here for me. Maybe because I don't understand it. Why does it happen to those of us that get it? I am extremely active, but this shit has all but made me a prisoner in my own home. During my cycle, I was scared to leave home, scared to be alone, afraid that my children (who are all grown), would think I had lost my ever lovin' mind. And my grandchildren.......I love them dearly, but was so afraid of having an "attack" while they were here overnight. It's a hard thing to deal with for me.

How much difference does age or gender make?  I don't think anyone really knows. Nor can anyone explain, why some stay pf and others suffer on a daily basis. It would just be nice if we had the answers. There is great fear in the "unknown."

Sending lotz of pf  vibes your way........ ;D

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 12:42pm »

DougW: sorry to hear your cycle started again  Sad

DougW and Marc C: you are both due a remission period according to the study since I believe both of you started your CH's as teenagers (early onset).  In my case the CH's started at 16 years of age with yearly cycles for 22 years. Over the last eight years I only have had one cycle.  I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet with these things.  I remember someone on this board going 10-11 years without them before they came back with a vengeance.

Jean: sorry to hear this horror has hit you in your 50's.  From what I've read about these CH's and the age of onset, men's age of onset peaks in the third decade of life while women's age of onset peaks both in the second decade of life and the fifth decade of life.  Also the proportion of men vs. women diagnosed after 50 is about equal while men outnumber women diagnosed at younger ages.

Another little interesting tidbit, is that there are actually people out there who only have one cycle of cluster headaches and they never return.  I have read of this in the literature and met someone recently whose husband had a cluster headache cycle 10 years ago and they never returned.

I agree with you Jean, there has got to be an answer to this or a cure out there that is legal and readily available.  Another reason to join OUCH and get more publicity out there about this rare and poorly understood disease.

Maria
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss