Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 11:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zonegran anyone? Advice wanted »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zonegran anyone? Advice wanted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zonegran anyone? Advice wanted  (Read 455 times)
jayhawk
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Zonegran anyone? Advice wanted
« on: Sep 9th, 2003, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After having a great summer (I went one entire month without a CH!), they've started again. I'm a chronic. Saw neuro last week, and he upped my Verapamil from 480 to 600, but said if I wasn't seeing improvement in week to 10 days, start taking 100 mg of zonegran (zonisamide) at bedtime. The headache pain has lessened somewhat, but still having them, and it's been almost a week. I'm VERY reluctant to start the zonegran, as he said it's in same class as topamax, which i took last year and it had me suicidal, in pain from side effects ALL the time, and...didn't help the CH!
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has had success, side effects, no success from zonegran? What should I expect if i do start taking it? Thanks.
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Zonegran anyone? Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 8:21pm »

Zonegran  
GENERIC NAME: ZONISAMIDE (zoe-NIH-sa-mide)  
COMMON USES:  This medicine is an anticonvulsant used with other medicines to control certain types of seizures.  

HOW TO USE THIS MEDICINE:  Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. This medicine comes with a patient information leaflet. Read it carefully. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist any questions that you may have about this medicine. SWALLOW WHOLE. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. This medicine may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. DRINKING EXTRA FLUIDS while you are taking this medicine is recommended. Check with your doctor or nurse for instructions. STORE THIS MEDICINE at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), away from heat and light. IF YOU MISS A DOSE OF THIS MEDICINE, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. DO NOT TAKE 2 doses at once.  

CAUTIONS:  DO NOT EXCEED THE RECOMMENDED DOSE without checking with your doctor. DO NOT STOP USING THIS MEDICINE without first checking with your doctor. KEEP ALL DOCTOR AND LABORATORY APPOINTMENTS while you are using this medicine. BEFORE YOU HAVE ANY MEDICAL OR DENTAL TREATMENTS, EMERGENCY CARE, OR SURGERY, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking this medicine. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE IF YOU HAVE HAD A SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION to this medicine or any other sulfonamide antibiotic (such as Septra DS, Bactrim DS, Gantrisin). A severe reaction includes a severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, or dizziness. If you have a question about whether you are allergic to this medicine, contact your doctor or pharmacist. IF YOU EXPERIENCE difficulty breathing; tightness of chest; swelling of eyelids, face, or lips; or if you develop a rash or hives, tell your doctor immediately. Do not take any more doses of this medicine unless your doctor tells you to do so. Wear a medical alert tag indicating that you are taking this medicine. THIS MEDICINE MAY CAUSE drowsiness or dizziness. DO NOT DRIVE, OPERATE MACHINERY, OR DO ANYTHING ELSE THAT COULD BE DANGEROUS until you know how you react to this medicine. Using this medicine alone, with other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks. This medicine may cause decreased sweating. Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather, saunas, or during exercise or other activity since heatstroke may occur. BEFORE YOU BEGIN TAKING ANY NEW MEDICINE, either prescription or over-the-counter, check with your doctor or pharmacist. Caution should be used in children since they may be more sensitive to the effects of this medicine, especially the risk of overheating. FOR WOMEN: Use a reliable form of birth control while taking this medicine. IF YOU PLAN ON BECOMING PREGNANT, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using this medicine during pregnancy. IT IS UNKNOWN IF THIS MEDICINE IS EXCRETED in breast milk. IF YOU ARE OR WILL BE BREAST-FEEDING while you are using this medicine, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.  

POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS:  SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during treatment, include dizziness, drowsiness, clumsiness, confusion, nervousness, headache, nausea, loss of appetite, runny nose, diarrhea, indigestion, constipation, dry mouth, or trouble sleeping. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if you experience depression, numbness and tingling of hands or feet, double vision, back and forth eye movements, trouble speaking, difficulty concentrating, agitation or irritability, or mood changes. CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience abdominal pain, painful urination, change in amount of urine, fever, decreased sweating, sore throat, easy bruising, or rash. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.  

BEFORE USING THIS MEDICINE:  Some medicines or medical conditions may interact with this medicine. INFORM YOUR DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST of all prescription and over-the-counter medicine that you are taking. ADDITIONAL MONITORING OF YOUR DOSE OR CONDITION may be needed if you are taking phenytoin, carbamazepine, valproate, or phenobarbital, anticholinergics (e.g., benztropine, hyoscyamine), acetazolamide, or methazolamide. Inform your doctor of any other medical conditions including kidney or liver disease, allergies, pregnancy, or breast-feeding. USE OF THIS MEDICINE IS NOT RECOMMENDED if you have a history of kidney stones. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns about taking this medicine.  

OVERDOSE:  If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include slow heart beat, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, or difficulty breathing.  

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:  If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor. DO NOT SHARE THIS MEDICINE with others for whom it was not prescribed. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE for other health conditions. KEEP THIS PRODUCT out of the reach of children. IF USING THIS MEDICINE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, obtain refills before your supply runs out.  
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 8:22pm »

That above info on Zonegran was from rx.com
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Lone_Wolf_FLA
New Board Newbie

Who Knew?!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:57pm »

Currently am taking 200mg nightly, didn't see much at 100mg but it does seem to be backing off a bit at the 200mg level. My Neurologist is VERY pro on this stuff, and has been very successful with it. Yes it is an anticonvulsant and it may be in the same group as Topomax, but it's nothing like it. Zonegran is like the "BASF" of anticonvulsants, it doesn't make a lot of the anticonvulsants you might take, it makes the ones you do take better. As I understand it it really doesn't do much on it's own real well, but has been reported that one thing it may do well is break the cluster cycle. My Doc says he has had some people on as much s 900mg to stop the CH, but once it's worked the cycle is over he says. Trouble is without insurance it's a bit pricey, and you cna't suddenly stop taking it without running some serious risks. I can't tell you it works, but it does seem to be making a change in my cycle, but I may be up a few more 100mg before it's over, I don't know.
IP Logged
Reggie
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

wyosweettooth
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 7:29pm »

So far so good on Zonegran,started a month ago an could finally rest my head in the recliner. Broke the month long cycle of July and hope they never return,but carry fioricet with codiene just in case. Havn't noticed any side effects,good luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss