Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « cafergot??? anybody??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   cafergot??? anybody???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cafergot??? anybody???  (Read 364 times)
Nathan
New Board Veteran
USA 

mufon member looking for serious ufo/alien stories

ufo_guy1  
Email

cafergot??? anybody???
« on: Sep 8th, 2003, 8:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello people, anybody miss me? i think my neuro is trying to pull a fast one on me can anybody help prove or discredit my theory? i was on neurontin (some may remember) and it wasnt working well enough to put up with the side effects so i asked my neuro to put me on something else (keep in mind were running out of options) so he put me on cafergot... supposedly a med for migranes. i thought that was strange to begin with since he knows i have clusters. so today i did a check on the med at www.rxlist.com  and the first name that popped up was verapamil. are they one and the same? some kind of variant? i told my current neuro that i had tried verap once before, got a massiave attack on the first dose and never tried it again.  now im on the cafergot and i get a mild attack pretty much daily and one really good attack about an hour after i take the med, just like i did with the verap. is there a connection or am i just seeing another conspiracy where there isnt one?  thanks for listening and its good to be back (well, you know what i mean)..... lol!
IP Logged

field investigator for mufon(mutiual ufo network) looking for serious people only to share their stories with me. total anominity promised. chs and alien abduction may be related.
floridian

Email

Re: cafergot??? anybody???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cafergot is very different from verapamil in terms of its chemical structure and basic activity.  

Verapamil is thought of primarily as a calcium channel blocker. Cafergot has ergotamine, which acts first on the serotonin system.  
IP Logged
Smurf
New Board Junior

Together, we shall slay the dragon!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 12:53pm »

Floridian is correctomundo.  They are different.  I use to be on cafergot for attacks.  Take 1 at on-set, then if need be 1 every 1/2 hour.  Many times I cheated and didn't wait the full 1/2 hour.  I think we can all relate to that ("if it kills me, so what, then no more HA"Wink.
Hope it works for you!
-Smurf
IP Logged

It just goes to show ya...where ever you go, there you are.
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 2:52pm »

cafergot is astrong ergotamine med, bound to do well but you can't take it longer than 6 months.

hope it works for you!
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Nathan
New Board Veteran
USA 

mufon member looking for serious ufo/alien stories

ufo_guy1  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 4:21pm »

boy im glad i posted this!! i also called the drug store and they said also that its not the same as verap, and the same as you guys, its used for onset treatment. so can someone explain to me why my neuro has me taking 3 tabs a day with 3 refills remaining on the prescription? this guy trying to kill me or what????
IP Logged

field investigator for mufon(mutiual ufo network) looking for serious people only to share their stories with me. total anominity promised. chs and alien abduction may be related.
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 6:59pm »

for what I know from my two week experience with ergotamine (deseril) and the reading i have done on this med the usual dose is between 2-4 mg a day, for a maximum period of 6 months which should be followed by a stop for at least a month. It is a strong med that can cause some heavy side effects.

it was highly effective on fast prevention of my CH for about two weeks, when I switched to verapamil CH and shadows returned for about a week, then a week of shadows and after two weeks and the right dose the verapamil kicked in and is doing the job just as well but with far less disturbing side-effects.

good luck, be well and I hope it kills the beast for you!

IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Lone_Wolf_FLA
New Board Newbie

Who Knew?!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 10:10pm »

Nathan

I have had this particular "blessing" (CH) for nearly 26 years. During that time I've taken just about everything and anything that was even rumored to help. Cafergot is the only thing that ever got me through my cycles. Oddly, Imitrex and I don't mix, though it was wonderful for the few days it did work.  

Your Doc should get real jerky after about six months of a steady diet of Cafergot. Though that will change once he/she knows your ability to tolerate it. I can eat the stuff like candy for nearly a year, no problem. You might go into ergot posioning in half that time, with half the dose. My cafergot dose instruction says simply:

"Take as Directed."

I get many questions from the Pharmacy about that. My Doc tells them I've been taking it longer, and know more about it than he does, so just refill it when he comes in.

It is NOT a preventitive, taking it like one will do nothing for you. I hope it works for you as well as it has for me these many years.
IP Logged
judyw
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran

Knowledge is Power

9537257 9537257   judyw143  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 7:48am »

;D Nathan, is that you, where have you been ???  Ah, maybe I don't want to know.... Roll Eyes...Good info given on the meds...something else to note, though...being the strange characters we CHers are, experience has taught me that sometimes with new meds, CH hits harder for a bit, before accepting that we might be on to something...
IP Logged

judyw143
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 9:19am »

thank you judy ;D
IP Logged

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 10:38am »

Nathan, my doctor had me on cafergot as a preventative, I was taking it twice a day along with verap.  I was also using a lot of trex.  When I read that you really shouldn't mix the cafergot and the trex, I stopped the cafergot.  I would still take it every now and then for shadows, and it worked really well on the shadows.  

You might give verapamil a try again, it takes it a little while to kick in, and then you have to work to get your dosage adjusted to the right level.

PFDAN,
Tracey
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 12:30pm »

The "normal" dosing on cafergot, from the PDR, is one tablet at onset and one each 1/2 hour until the headache subsides.  Not more than 6 per attack or 10 per week.

It's the ten per week that usually puts us clusterheads over the dosage.  My doc freaks, saying I'll get ergotism, lose the circulation in my extremities and get gangreene.  I take it 20-30 tabs a week anyway.  The worst I get are cold fingers and toes from reduced circulation.

Some docs do use it as a preventative, prescribing one tablet twice a day.

The 6 month usage and then a holiday refers to Sansert, which is also an ergot derivative but not the same as cafergot.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

« Reply #11 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 1:11pm »

Quote:
You might give verapamil a try again, it takes it a little while to kick in, and then you have to work to get your dosage adjusted to the right level.  

verapamil ROCKS

;D
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss