Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Got a ? about Depakote for yall........ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Got a ? about Depakote for yall........
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Got a ? about Depakote for yall........  (Read 395 times)
Leesa
New Board Hall of Famer

Email

Got a ? about Depakote for yall........
« on: Sep 6th, 2003, 11:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dave has been taking Depakote (delayed stuff) 250mg 2X a day since July this year. My question is can he take another tab if he has already taken the recommended dose?? He takes one in the morning before work and the other at about 10 pm. Tonight he took it at 6 pm and the beast came knockin. He had been having spikes of a CH all day. Not shadows. Actual CH's but on the KIP scale they never reached more then a 4 or 5. Is taking the Depakote at a different time what caused the Beast to show up?? The VA pharmacy is closed of course and nothing eles is open for me to call and find out besides they wont discuss meds unless your the person whos takin the meds. Any help would be of GREAT help to Dave and I both thanks for your time and input on this.  
Scratchin head in wonder, Leesa
IP Logged

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Smiley
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Got a ? about Depakote for yall........
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 11:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When my Doc. put me on it he started very low and said he could raise to twelve hundred mg if needed, I could not take the stuff so I never really found out. There should be some articles on the web that discuss doseage. Good luck

http://www.depakote.com/dephome/dephome.htm

Lee
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2003, 12:29pm by forgetful » IP Logged
Artie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 6:56pm »

I think the max dose is between 1200 and 1500 mg, but the physicians generally scale you up slowly.   Best of luck.
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2003, 8:46pm »

my neuro is one of the best and he said that i shouldn't have been prescribed depakote 2X day, that i should be on the extended release to take once at night. i have been as high as 2000, bad news, but now am down to 500mg because i'm trying to switch to neurontin because i don't like the effects of depakote. just tell the doc it's not working and he'll raise it. it could take up to a month to kick in though.  

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Eb
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 7:11am »

Leesa,

Been on Depakote now for about 3 weeks, the first two weeks I was taking 500mg a day in the morning~~my doc just ramped me up to 1000mg a day (I've been taking them twice a day, around 6:00am and 6:00pm).

I never knew about the "extxende" release vice taking them twice a day.  Justin, did the doc tell you why you shouldn't be prescribed it twice daily?  Just wondering so I can bring it up with my doc...thx!

Through three weeks, I've maybe seen a "slight" improvement in the severity of the headaches.  The frequency has remained the same though....hopefully ramping up to the 1000mg will help even more...

Eb
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 6:52pm »

I tend to agree with the others before me.  Depakote is something that the docs should gradually increase or decrease.

I took 500 mgs (1X per day) for about 5 weeks before my dosage was upped to 1000mgs per day (2x).

I'm sorry to say that it didn't help.

Good luck.  Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss