Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What do you tell the Fire Dept? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   What do you tell the Fire Dept?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What do you tell the Fire Dept?  (Read 361 times)
Camerooskis_Mom
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

What do you tell the Fire Dept?
« on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, emergency room here is very uncooperative about giving O2.  Insist on IV & successive drug treatment for my 8 year old son.  Hours later, they give him a popsicle and hand me an outdated sheet that says CH is caused by altitude from flying in air planes, huffing or being around paint fumes, smoking & alcohol (things clearly my 8 year old is not exposed to).  Very specific treatment outline from pedio neuro has not helped & pedio neuro's hospital is over an hour away.

I am in a fight w/ Insurance Company about getting the O2 back in my home.  Some of you have posted that you have contacted your local paramedics to get O2 when absolutely necessary.  Did you contact them 911? Did you drop in one day and say "hey, do you mind if one nite...?"      

I'm thinking of purchasing the O2 Mountain Climbers carry (it is 95% O2) and affordable and very portable.  I'm considering this as an alternative for me as opposed to our local medical suppliers for out of pocket costs.  Any thoughts?  Does the 95% make a significant difference?
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

Re: What do you tell the Fire Dept?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 2:30pm »

have you read about vicks-inhalor further below? ???
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I haven't had experience with O2, but I would think that 95% is as good as 99%.  Most oxygen is refined from ordinary air using a molecular filter, and it is not going to be 100%. Even with a closed mask, there could be some leakage or rebreating of ones own breath (introducing other gasses).   If it is 95%, I would venture that the main question: is it suitable for human consumption?
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 10:15am »

Don't know about the molecular filtre; I AM sure however that all docs (who know) insist on pure oxygen.

A better alternative (and very cheap I hear) is welders O2. It is just as pure as the medical sort. Only thing you need is an adapted valve. Mail Jonny about that, he has helped many 'people over this.

About going to the fire dept. - I know people just dropped in at their local station, explaioned about O2 and got it. But they did so when an attack was imminent or already occurring.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
floridian

Email

Welder's Oxygen
« Reply #4 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't know about the purity of welders O2.  I do remember from a scuba class that the type of equipment used to compress the gas is important - the compressors for scuba air cannot be standard industrial compressors using petroleum lubricants.  Even very small amounts of oils can wreck the lungs.  Maybe the effect of the oil is compounded by the pressure of being underwater, but I would check this out before consuming large amounts of industrial Oxygen.  Parts per million of oil might not affect the % oxygen, might not affect welding operations, but could affect human health.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2003, 8:18am by floridian » IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 6th, 2003, 10:02am »

...OK, then, some observations on this thread:
#1- Cam's Mom sez: Quote:
I am in a fight w/ Insurance Company about getting the O2 back in my home.
This would seem to indicate that you have a script for o2 from your doctor, but you are having problems getting INSURANCE to pay for it. Well, get over it! You can buy a certified, used, medical regulator, and an "E" tank (or two is better so that you can re-fill one while the other is being used) for about $125 and be giving ole Cam the good stuff/medical o2. I get real pissed off when people whine about insurance not paying, when there IS an alternative. Relief for your boy should not have a price tag.

#2- Quote:
Some of you have posted that you have contacted your local paramedics to get O2 when absolutely necessary.  Did you contact them 911? Did you drop in one day and say "hey, do you mind if one nite...?"
Just head down to the fire station and tell the first fireman you see that your boy is having some trouble breathing (a small white lie) and he needs some oxygen....you can sort out the details later, but I'm betting the heros in the red and yellow trucks will not be giving you the hard time you get in the ER.

#3- Quote:
I'm thinking of purchasing the O2 Mountain Climbers carry (it is 95% O2) and affordable and very portable.  I'm considering this as an alternative for me as opposed to our local medical suppliers for out of pocket costs.  Any thoughts?  Does the 95% make a significant difference?
 ...definitely worth a try, but you did say affordable, no?......see above

#4- Floridian sez: Quote:
I haven't had experience with O2,.... and.....  I don't know about the purity of welders O2.
This is a good example of how mis- and dis- information gets spread. First of all, SCUBA air is just that: compressed air- with nitrogen, argon, ozone, and all the other stuff we breathe daily mixed in with about 20% oxygen. Medical (and welders) oxygen is about 99.99% pure oxygen and the only difference is the inspection of the tanks--mainly for the presence of water (which can cause rust-not good for lungs). I have (as you may or may not know) done a fair amount of research into the subject, and most all of what you need to know can be found under that *oxygen* button at stage left.  

Good luck and don't let the INSURANCE or your own pocketbook get in the way of relief.
...Steve(N4H)
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Camerooskis_Mom
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 8:00am »

Thanks for the info Not-For-Hire.

Unfortunately my many phone calls to the medical O2 supply companies around my area get me the same story _ We do not sell supplies, only rent them.  I am further hindered in that only a small handful carry pediatric supplies (or want that liability, & trust me they are very scared of the liability).  I wholeheartedly agree, buying is far cheaper in the long run -  Undecided maybe I am talking to the wrong people.  Could there actually be local regs against selling O2 equipment here that do not exists elsewhere?  In your research, have you ever heard of this?  If so, then maybe I need to figure out how to cross borders to purchase.  

This is how I came upon the mountain climbing equipment O2.  (3) canisters w/ 30min of air each costs around $325 and come with appropraite regulator for pediatric flow rate prescribed. My monthly rental for O2 equipment was $385.00 a month + the O2 at $60 per refill.  The O2 was not the cost prohibited part.  It was cost prohibited is having the tank sit -- over a 3 month period - availabilty of the O2 & location of son meaning it only got used a grand total of (3) times -- a whopping 30min.    Hence, the portablility issue.  

Insurance is a big issue in that at $20.25 a minute, I am now trying to decide what household items get eliminated & meanwhile O2 company has turned me over to collections after only 32 days and regular payments & phone contacts telling them when I am mailing a check & for how much.  And I pathetically only owe them still, a whopping $11.85  (I've paid them $2355 in the last 6 months).  I feel like I am getting bilked & dealt with unreasonably (not to mention my feelings are hurt). Insurance has come back & are going to reimburse me 70% but I am still awaiting that check.  They will not authorize future use.  So till I get that check, I have no extra cash to keep the O2 flowing. :' (Not to mention, I need to find another company).  If I could find a place to buy what I need - that will be much much better in the long run.
IP Logged
Nathan
New Board Veteran
USA 

mufon member looking for serious ufo/alien stories

ufo_guy1  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 9:18am »

hi there,
ok i live on o2 tanks as it is the only thing that stops my attacks AND im flat ass broke with no insurance. heres what i did.... when i lived in iowa, i called a med supply comp called aptiva you might have one in your area. they have a program for people with little or no income and no insurance ask to sign up for that and if you need to lie about how much money you make... who cares? your looking to help your son, not get into hevan!! lol the whole time i lived in iowa i got my o2 tanks, tubing, regulator and full face mask free of charge. now i live in wisconsin and their policy is a little different, if you qualify they pay all but like 5% of the rental equipment which is better than nothing. im sure whereever you live the med supply companys have somekind of program similar. hell, for that matter even free clinics can hook you up if you have a prescription and if not, they can help get you a free referral to a doctor that will GIVE you a prescription. just keep at it, you will find a way, but i think looking for alternatives like welding o2 and scuba diving o2 is a bad idea. as posted above, scuba o2 is just plain ol air and isnt going to help at all. the best bet is always use the medical stuff thats what its there for. good luck and keep us posted!
IP Logged

field investigator for mufon(mutiual ufo network) looking for serious people only to share their stories with me. total anominity promised. chs and alien abduction may be related.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 8th, 2003, 6:39pm »

...whoa, Camerooskies' MOM!!...are you ever gettin' ...uh...
*taken advantage of* is the nice way to say it.... and I fear yer not the only one to be preyed upon. But when I went to my former o2 supplier and explained my *situation* (like Nathan, I was outta-work-flat-broke-no-insurance) the manager of NORCO said "No problemo, we got one rate fer the insurance company and another fer cash customers and hard-cases"...I was charged $18.00 for a big ole "S" tank refill--154 cu.ft. (almost 7 times as much o2 as an "E" tank) for about double the cost. You do the math Wink

Since you don't say where you live, I can't say what the *rules* are. Email me and maybe I can help. I just HATE to see peeps suffer when relief is just a *breath away, breath away*.....

Steve(N4H)
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss