Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « successful shroom report »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   successful shroom report
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: successful shroom report  (Read 412 times)
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

successful shroom report
« on: Apr 5th, 2003, 12:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I received the following treatment report from an old acquaintance by personal correspondence/telephone conversation.  

-tommyD

Case History of B.D.  

45-year old male, smoker, has enjoyed drinking, has drank less in recent years, moderately stressful job. Suffers sleep apnea (uses some kind of air pressure treatment -- Bipat? --  using a mask), back pain, has been on pain management, including fenatyl patch, for some time.

Occurance: Began having apparent cluster attacks Jan. 26 or so.  Attacks once a day, always between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., with one exception: mild, relatively short attack right after awakening at 4 a.m.  for an early work day; wake up time is usually 6 a.m.

Symptoms: Attacks starting from no pain to intense pain in five minutes, Feeling intense pain and pressure, “like being hit with a baseball bat,”  behind and around one eye, and in soft area behind jawbone and below eareyelid very tender. No lacrimation, perhaps some sight nasal congestion, attacks last about an hour. Predisposed to pace around and swear, urge to hit head against wall. Pain diminishes as quickly as it increases.  

Treatment: See general practitioner Feb. 4, doctor says he is sufferering from “neuralgia,” and prescribes carbimazepine, 200mg twice a day. Feb. 5 takes one carb tablet in the evening, no attack that night. On Feb. 6 takes two carbimazepine, has attack at regular time. Call doctor, is told if has another bad attack to go to the emergency room for “hyper oxygen therapy.”  

Feb. 7, Takes no carb.  because side effects unpleasent, including personality change...”I got real mean and nasty. Has bad attack that night, gets to ER about half an hour in. Attack beginning to fade anyway when administered oxygen, apparently a high flow but with a rebreather mask, for 10 min.” Oxygen seems to help.”

Shroom treatment attempted ,  Feb. 8, 1 p.m. , chews and swallows about .5 gm dried psilocybe mushrooms, probable species azurenscens.  Trip level about 1. A few hours later takes another small amount, perhaps .25 gram.  About 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. has two beers, “first alcohol in a couple weeks.”  8:30 p.m. has attack, but mild and short.  

Feb. 9, Another short, mild attack in evening.

Feb. 10, Talks to doctor, who may suspect cluster headaches. Prescribed Imitrex nasal spray.
Suffering from depression, possible effect of withdrawal from carbimazepine. Begins diary.

8:25 p.m. , shadow, one dose Imitrex nasal
9:00 slight headache builds, but able to doze off at 9:15
9:30 pain gone
11 pm woken by “ordinanry headache.”

Feb. 11 to 14: slight to moderate headaches in mid-afternoons, evenings. Nasal Imitrex works well.

Feb. 15, takes .5 g. dried psilocybe mushrooms, probable species azurenscens. No headaches today.

Feb. 16,  takes.25 g. dried psilocybe mushrooms, probable species azurenscens.
10 p.m. slight headache

Feb. 17 , 9 p.m. headache, one dose Imitrex nasal

Feb. 18,  9:15 p.m. bad headache, one dose Imitreex nasal

Feb. 19,  Received oxygen tank
2:30 p.m. slight headache
9:00 p.m.  headache, used O2, quick relief (said asked for non-rebreather mask, pharmacy would not supply without prescription. Gave him high flow regulator, but with canules. "Almost blew my eyeballs out of my head," but apparently delivered enough oxygen to abort mild attack.
No more headaches.

April 5, 2003
Pain free. No headaches since Feb. 19.
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: successful shroom report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2003, 6:17pm »

Tommy this is such good news.  It's comforting to me to know that there are people out there getting relief.

Keep up the correspondance Smiley
Amber
IP Logged
cleon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 5th, 2003, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good news.  Cant get mushy's here - I would Kill for Mushy spores.  anyone want to post me some?
IP Logged
michaelc
New Board Junior

Surrender to the Strangeness

just+ask+me+:)  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2003, 1:31am »

cleon - click the search tab at the top and type "shrooms" , pretty sure someone here has posted links to spore companies
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2003, 4:24am »

Now I hear from a friend of BD that he had a "headache" the day after he sent me the last report of being pain free  a month and a half.  Figures.  I will have to get in touch to see what's happening.  Not unusual, though to have the headaches return in a month or two while the cycle continues.

This report is interesting in that Imitrex was used daily for 4 or 5 days before trying the shrooms. The trip level was apparently low, but the imitrex didn't SEEM to interfere with the shrooms.

Also this was BD's first experience with the beast.  I also went with shroom thereapy early in my cluster career...I wonder if shrooms work better on greenhorns...  

BD's report is typical of  many people's experience with treating the beast: the mis-diagnosis, the wrong drug (carbimazepine) with the nasty side effects, the wrong O2 equipment... The change in prescription after the second doctor visit...it seems like the doctor decided it was clusters on the second visit, but BD told me the doc did not use the term "cluster headaches."

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss