Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 7:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « preventative »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   preventative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: preventative  (Read 320 times)
dancerakh
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

preventative
« on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 4:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is not 100% effective, but it has greatly reduced the number of occurences for me.... I used to get my CH for about 2 weeks, every couple of months. I am in college taking 18 hours, and I work 2 jobs, so I was pumped full of caffine constantly... then one day some one challenged me to drop the stuff, and being as driven and competative as I am, I couldnt say no, so I quit consuming caffine (I even gave up chocolate.... THAT was hard) I went through a bad episode a few days after quitting, and the stuff takes about 3 weeks to completely clear your system, but now that I'm off caffine.... wow, my episodes are only once every 3-4 months, thats almost half as often!!! I suggest giving it a shot, if I can do it, anyone can!!!!!! Go to the health food store and ask for detox tea (caffine free of course) drink that every night for a week, and stop consuming caffine, within about 2-3 weeks, you may see a difference... even if your don't have CHs, I suggest this, I have 3 times the energy I ever had while i was pumped full of caffine.... and also, the healthier I eat the less intense my CHs are.... so I have given up meat, and caffine, and sodas (that helped a lot too), and other things like pizza and french fries.... it makes all the difference in the world for me.... fewer CHs and they are less intense.... now granted I still get them and they still hurt like hell.... but hey.... every little bit helps... thats just what worked for me.... I'm no Dr. and hell even if I was, its not like they ever get it anyways...
IP Logged
ave

Email

Re: preventative
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, good to see something works for you.

But keep in mind the cluster is a wiley beast. A great number of people here report good results with coffee to mitigate attacks when they have no medication or O2 on hand.

So what works for one, certainly does not work for all others.

Also, there is the coffee headache, from taking lots of coffee on working days and less in the weekend. Could be mixed up with yours! Personally, reducing the amount of coffee per diem has been better for my stomach but my energy level  remains the same, like a spinning top!

On another note, leaving the chocolate may be best for the figure bit does NOT help in preventing clusters.  

IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 11:43am »

That's wonderful that you found something that seems to work so well for you. No doubt your body probably appreciates the healthy diet.  

One note of caution, however...you may go through times where you will have fewer attacks, and if they increase it is devastating. It can be depressing if you  say "this helps" and it turns out it didn't after all. I speak from experience.  

According to the "experts", just about every food can be a trigger and cause headaches. Many of us go on the diet chase early on, giving up red wine, caffeine, chocolate, preserved meats, citrus, nuts, cheese, etc., especially if we have ever been treated by a headache clinic. I was down to triscuits, rice, and ginger ale when a fellow CH sufferer asked if my headaches had gotten any better. They hadn't. I went back to real food.

I'm on my 6th year with CH, and have recognized there will be peaks and valleys no matter what, but a Coke and a Sara Lee Cheesecake bite actually make me feel better Smiley

I wish you every success with your current approach, and hope it continues to work for you long term. Good luck.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 12:11pm »

Has anyone tried a diet rich in tryptophan?
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
ave

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 4:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Curtis, just after Christmas (I believe) one of the girls posted about having turky which seems to be choc full of tryptopha and getting an attack as a result...

Look it up with the search facility.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss