Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2024, 7:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The FLASH score for medicines »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   The FLASH score for medicines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The FLASH score for medicines  (Read 382 times)
Flash

Email

The FLASH score for medicines
« on: Mar 18th, 2003, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have devised a new way to rate medicines.  I don;t intend that it be used to a high degree of accuracy, but I do believe it to illustrate which substances are most effective.

The FLASH rating is thus:

(absence of symtoms achieved in hours - prevalence of symptoms experience in hours) divided  by the quantity of medicine used in grams, multiplied by the total number of hours prior to resumption of normal symptoms.

So (as[h] - ps[h]) / md[g] x t[h].

For instance lets take me ingesting 60mcg of LSD back in 1993.  I achived a remission of 11 months with no symptoms displayed.  During that period I would have expected 2 month long episodes with about 6 hours of pain on average each day.

Therefore

as[h]  =   360  hours
ps[h]  =  0  hours
md[g] =  0.00006 grams
   t[h]  = 8030  hours

therefore

(360 - 0) / 0.00006 x 8030 = 48 180 000 000 (otherwise known as a very high score).

Lets take someone that has ingested 2 grams of dried mushrooms and achieved a 5 day remission with 1 hour of shadowing each day.  Assume they would have expected 3 x 1 hour attackes each day during that period.

(15 - 5) / 2 x 120 = FLASH score of 600.

Now take the example of someone who has taken 200mg of Imitrex (haven't checked that this is corect dose but it's just an example...) and aborted all attacks for 4 hours before normal symptoms returned.  Assume that they would have otherwise have suffered a 1 hour attack during this time.

(1 - 0) / 0.2 * 4 = FLASH score of 20.

In all anything with a positive score is good!!!

Thought please...

Would like to see people start using this as an objective rating of the effectiveness of their medicine.  If that happens then we can collate results in a survey and provide FLASH scores averaged out over many medicines.

Flash

IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

Re: The FLASH score for medicines
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 6:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ya lost me right after "the FLASH rating is thus..."  ??? ??

Lotsa luck,

Kev C
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2003, 9:42pm »

I have taken verapamil in the past.  It was effective.  I have taken shrooms in the past.  It was effective too.  But, on a per dose basis, right now I would have to say the shrooms were more effective.  Simple as that, that's what he means.  Thanks Flash for introducing clusterheads to viable alternative treatment options.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 1:52am »

YES! Thank you Thank you Thank you Flash!
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2003, 10:53am »

Flash -  

Cool! Very cool. I like this idea. But...

I also see a flaw. There is a an "apples and oranges" problem. LSD is extraodinarily potent, producing signifivcant effects at very small quantites. Few medications are useful in does measured in micrograms, so it is hard to compare to medications used in dosages of hundreds of miligrams. Even shrooms. Psilocin will show effects in the tens-of-milligrams range if I recall. Don't remember off the top of my head, think it was 10 to 30 miligrams?  

I think there needs to be a way to adjust for the broad range of dosage sizes...perhaps by somehow working the ED50/LD50 ratio into the equation. (ED50/LD50 is the amount of an average effective dose compared to the amount of the average lethal dose.)  

Now just how that might work, I don't know. Have been thinking about it, but so far have only managed to confuse myself. But I think it might make for a more valid comparison.  

Or perhaps it could be simplified by not considering dosage amounts at all, but simply the number of doses of effective size compared to hours of relief...

I'll keep thinking about it, but I make no promises...I may just manage to confuse myself further...

Very interesting concept...

-tommyD

IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Flash

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 5:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes tommyD - I agree ED50/LD50 is a better way doing this.

(as[h] - ps[h]) / ED50[g]/LD50[g] x t[h]

As you stated the size of the dose isn't particularily important.  What does count is how close the effective dose is to a dangerous dose.  I guess paracetomal is fucked then Smiley)

Flash
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss