Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 4th, 2024, 6:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Comming off Clonidine/Dixarit »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Comming off Clonidine/Dixarit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comming off Clonidine/Dixarit  (Read 766 times)
Daujamara

Email

Comming off Clonidine/Dixarit
« on: Sep 9th, 2002, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, My husband has made a huge discision, he's trying to quit taking the medicine that has been subscribed for his clusterheadaches which is Dixarit/Clonidine.  
He has been taking this medicine for over 20 years,  we're not sure that this medicine has ever had any effect at all because the only thing that does somewhat help is immigran (only the injection, the nose spray has little to no effect).

It has been over a year now since he's had his last propper attack (YEAHH!!) and we're both full of hope that he has somehow overgrown his attacks........ (don't know if that's posible?)
And because he suffers from migrane every day we thought it might stop the daily headache if he were to quit taking his medicine. (because headache is one of the side -effects)

His docter is verry sceptic and she doesn't co-operate in any way, so we have set up our own scedule for him to take his medicine every other day. At the moment he's feeling verry ill, but we have agreed that he will only start full medication again if the cluster attacks will start appearing more than usual (usual for him was about 5 to 10 attacks a month).  

I couldn't find any other messages that state they were taking Dixarit/Clonidine, and I wonder if anyone has ever tried it or better even tried to quit taking it?

I must say I'm ever so happy to have found this website, and I'm really proud of you all. (I often feel guilty that I can't share his pain....)
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

Re: Comming off Clonidine/Dixarit
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 10:51am »

Hi Daujamara,
Welcome to the board. Here you will find lots of information, much more then your hubby's doctor seems to have.

Clonidine is a med that is used to control high blood pressure. I don't know if your hubby needs that, but one thing is certain: it does nothing against CH. However, many here have success with another class of meds used for high BP: the calcium channel blockers like Verapamil, and this may even be helpful for the migraines too.

Good luck,
Ueli
IP Logged
Marshall_D

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 4:02pm »

Please ensure he is taken off this medication very slowly. Clonidine is an anti-hypertensive, that also has proven effect for localized pain and narcotic withdrawal. It comes in a patch that would be good for a cluster headache, if you don't mind wearing a large patch on your face Cheesy. Seriously though, if he comes off of it too quickly his blood pressure could sky-rocket and become out of control. Especially since he has been on it for 20 years.

I would have it withdrawn under medical supervision.
IP Logged
Jim R
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always question authority....

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 3:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I'm on clonodine also for a two fold purpose:  my high blood pressure and CH.  The neuro told me and later borne out by reading that clonodine does work for CH in some people but its mechanism of action is unknown.  Good luck - Jim R
IP Logged

"Hammer of the Gods..." (pounding on my head...) and isn't Bowie great?!
Proud member of OUCH
Episodic Clusterhead since 1978
Daujamara

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 2:48am »

Thx ever so much for your replies, he is still ill but lukily the fever has gone down abit. Thx for the tip regarding the blood -pressure going "sky rocket"! He's still got a weird pressure in his head but hasn't had an attack, dizzyness and lost of appetite were expected. Continuing the scedule of one pil every two days....... will let you know the outcome, thx for listening
IP Logged
FTW

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 4:38am »

Hello All,

I'm the luckiest guy alive, cause Daujamara is my wife ;D

I'm feeling way better and am taking it easy; I had CH + Migraine for several years indeed but thankgod (!!) the evil pains have lessened. Only my "daily headaches" remain. But thanks to the love & support of Daujamara I'm willing to quit the daily medication. Hopefully this will be better for my body & soul... (and please don't bring the CH back!!)
I know what ya all going through and wish you not only the best, but want to give you some hope also: IT IS POSSIBLE TO OVERGROW THE CH ATTACKS (although it can take as many as 20 years  Sad)

Further it always helps to smoke a joint instead of taking medicine (or mushrooms , I've heard  Tongue) but I know when you're in the midst of an attack, nothing helps really...

Stay positive and enjoy life as much as possible, thanks for the replies!

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss