Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 6:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A really stupid O2 question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   A really stupid O2 question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A really stupid O2 question  (Read 381 times)
Kilo

Email

A really stupid O2 question
« on: Aug 26th, 2002, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Man, do I feel like an idiot.   Embarassed

Can't get in to see my neuro for a month, so I called my GP about getting oxygen.  Apparently, I don't need a prescription to GET the oxygen (but do to have my insurance company pay for it) and I think I could afford one month's supply out-of-pocket.  GP is unwilling to do anything until she consults with a neuro.  (She is a complete CH newbie but she tries hard.)  So...I figure I'll just go out and get the oxygen on my own, right?

Um...where does one get oxygen?  My pharmacy doesn't carry it, nor does the medical supply store in my clinic.  And can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the cost of the initial setup?

I feel much as I did when I first saw a gas station advertising "free air."

I sure would appreciate the help of you O2 vets.

Kilo
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: A really stupid O2 question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Kilo - sorry you ended up here, but we all need support when the beast comes to dance. I am surprised to hear you can get O2 without a prescription. I know you can buy O2 for welding, but its not the same as medical grade O2 and it will f%&* your lungs up big time.
I get mine thru a medical supply outfit, not a pharmacy. I bought my regulator and mask (a non rebreather- important !!) from the supply house for a couple hundred (this was 6 years ago). I'm sure you can shop around the internet and find the regulators cheaper.
Read through these posts and you'll find tons of info from experienced people. While we're not docs - we're all going through the medical school of hard knocks. It won't surprise me if you end up having to educate your MD on what CHs are.
O2 works for me, along with the Imitrex pills, I can usually keep the beast at bay, or keep his visit to a minimum.
Hope you find freedom from this animal.....
domm
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 8:28pm »

To get medical O2 I'm fairly positive you have to have a prescription, and you get it from a medical supply store.  The tanks, regulator, mask, and tubes, you can either get from the supply store, or online, and you shouldn't need a script for them.  You can use welding O2.  A lot of ppl around here uses it when they can't get a script for it.  The warning is that it doesn't need to be as pure as medical grade, but most welding O2 is pure, because if it had the wrong contaminate, it'd really screw up the weld.  If you need someone to give you the particulars on welding O2, talk to Jonny.  He's a welder by trade, and uses welding O2 all the time.  Good luck!

PFDAN.................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Kilo

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 8:54pm »

Hmm...my brother's a welder.  Can't remember if he's the brother that likes me this week or not, though.   ;D

My GP and the woman at the non-oxygen-supplying medical supply store both told me I only needed the Rx for my insurance to cover it.  Now, the store woman I'm not sure about, but there's no way an MD could be wrong?  Is there?  They have all those degrees and everything!!!!   Wink

I honestly believe that just hearing the term "cluster headache" reduces physician IQs by at least 20%.

I guess I'll just wrassle the beast on my own for one more morning, then either the doctors come through or I start buttering up my brother, eh?  Thanks for the great info.  I knew I'd get straight answers here.

Kilo
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 9:22pm »

Kilo,

I just got 2 "M" tanks delivered from the medical supply house 2 weeks ago. I paid for mine out of pocket until my new insurance kicks in. They gave me all the supplies with the tanks. The cost for everything, including delivery was $125.00 for 1 month. I live in Maine.

Chris L
IP Logged
Marcos618
New Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 5:20pm »

Since the CH's don't always happen at home I purchased the tank size "E" in aluminum with the soft side travel case. Did this over 12 years ago, cost was I think $350.00. I can take it anywhere in this brown case and most people don't know what it is. Shoulder strap makes it easy to carry. When I changed insurance companies I had the new company pay for what they thought was my first tank, which was really a spare for me. I have two aluminum tanks now. Cost to refill, $18.00 each tank in Chicago at a medical supply house.  

Each tank will help abort 4 CH's. Air flow rate is a bit slower then reccomended but it works. Also when I travel I cannot take a full oxygen tank onto the airplane with me, tank must be empty. Lot of good that does when your traveling and need to find a place in a strage city to fill it. So I Federal Express one spare tank in a box to my hotel I will be staying at and just pack the regulator and mask in my luggage. I pack extra shipping forms and have the hotel ship out the box for me the day I leave to head home.  

IP Logged
Kilo

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 9:44pm »

OK, I've found a primary source for the oxygen and supplies (and have a secondary source in my brother...hehe).  Turns out the parent company of my clinic (Allina) has an oxygen supply business.  Talked to a wonderful woman there today and she is very familiar with CH patients using oxygen.  Turns out she has a friend with CH.  Got her name and all the info I needed and faxed it to my GP along with a long letter detailing my CH history, what I need from her, basic CH facts and whatnot.  Trying to speak with her over the phone was just getting too nuts.  I don't hear well and she has an accent, so it was like coordinating medical care with the Marx Brothers or something.

Hoping to hear from her tomorrow.  I'm down to three Imitrex tabs, but when I get down to one I'll just go park myself at Urgent Care until they give me what I need.  (I've learned that the best way to get results is simply to refuse to leave.   ;D)

My daughter suggests I just go suck on the air hose at the gas station.  And she's a clusterhead, too!  Sigh....

Kilo
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 6:14am »

Good luck and I hope your doctor is quick today to give you the script you need. Since O2 is harmless I can never figure out why some of these Dr.'s are so hesitant to give it. What can it hurt? Idiots!!!!

It works great for me and I pray you have the same results.

Have a great day.

Chris L
IP Logged
Sarge

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 9:27am »

Kilo,
I am in North West Florida and I have 2 large tanks with a roll around stand for home use, and 2 smaller tanks with a backpack type carrying case for use when away from home.  Ok, all this plus two regulators and two masks costs my insurance $120.00 for three months rental.  I pay nothing out of pocket because I am in the military and it may be that the company gives them a discount.  Sarge.
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 10:51am »

Kilo, you will need a presecription for the O2. Also, welding O2 and medical O2 are the same. It's the tanks that have differences in how clean they are. Welding tanks don't have to really be checked for impurities while med tanks do. But the O2 comes from the exact same supply.
 I paid $75 for each e-tank I have, only to find out later that the welding-supply store I get my O2 from (which also is the place all the home-health stores in the county get their O2 from) would have rented me the tanks for $15.00 per year, so look into that. regulators usually cost a couple of hundred dollars, but you can rent those too.
 Also, not sure if you were joking or not but the air hose filling up tires isn't O2.
 Here's some info at this link that you can fax/hand-deliver/mind-meld to your GP about O2 and CHs, which should get her to give you your prescription. I originally posted it for people needing help getting the insurance company to pay for their O2 but your doctor apparently needs to read it too. Then, when your insurance company rejects paying for it the first time you can send it off to them by the method of your choice above:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/81233.html
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2002, 10:52am by Ted » IP Logged
Kilo

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 7:41pm »

Good news on the O2 front, I think.  My GP called me today and said she was faxing the order to the oxygen supply company.  I THINK she said she was ordering me a tank for at home and one for travel, a non-rebreather mask, and a regulator that will go up to 12 l/pm.  As to the uncertainty:  my East Indian doctor called me from her cell phone, and I answered on my cordless...might as well have been using two cans with a string!  Next time I see a rotary phone (harvest gold, of course) at a rummage sale, I'm buying the damned thing.

The supply company will call me when they get the order to arrange delivery, so I can double-check the details then.  I'm sooooo relieved that they'll deliver:  I was picturing myself driving the 20 miles there in my husband's 1984 Dodge Ram, assorted body parts (mine and the truck's) littering the roadway...

Ted:  Thanks for the insurance company coercion info!  I'd read it on here earlier, but couldn't remember where it was.  I'm with a major HMO here that is currently under investigation by the state atty genl.  They're a little sensitive to publicity these days.  Nothing like corporate flop-sweat to lube the old claims process!

And yes, I did know the free air was just air, not O2--and so did my daughter, the snotty little chip-off-the-old-block!   ;D

Kilo
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss