Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 4th, 2024, 6:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Depakote: Your experiences please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Depakote: Your experiences please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Depakote: Your experiences please  (Read 327 times)
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

Depakote: Your experiences please
« on: Aug 24th, 2002, 2:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Starting next week on Divalproex for treatment of Chronic CH for the last year. I'm particulary interested to see if anyone (preferably chronic) has found relief using this drug whose generic name is Depakote. Any and all expericences welcome.

Thanks,  
nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Sarge

Email

Re: Depakote: Your experiences please
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2002, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am Chronic (1 1/2) and tried Depakote and it made me real sick at my stomache.  At first I was taking 1000 ml for about 6 months with no relief and then he moved me up to 1500 and within a week I was yaking.  So that's my experience, as with all of these med's others have had great succes.  Sarge.
IP Logged
SteveP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 12:17pm »

I have had CH's for 12 years been taking Vpml as preventative until recently.  The Vpml stopped working as of March and I've had daily CH's ever since.  I've been on Depakote for about eight days now and it seems to be working.  My headaches have decreased in severity and occurence.  Not completely sure if it was just a long cycle or the meds are working.  You know how it is or used to be.  

I'm currentyl taking Vpml (240) in the morning and Depakote (500) at night.   I also have a supply of Frova, o2, and Imitrex injections.

I know you would have preferred a reply from a chronic sufferer, but I'm not sure if I'm headed into that category or not.

I was supposed to slowly come off the Vpml and after a week add another 500 ml of Depakote to the cycle, but if I continue to feel better, I'll stick with 500.

I'll let you know how it goes and update you on any complications.  I may get the same symptoms as Sarge if and when I update my dose.

IP Logged
gtar_man
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 5:17pm »

Chronic here. Neither Verap nor Depakote did squat for me, just caused side-effects; but that's the name of the game with CH meds, isn't it?
IP Logged

I'm not a damn newbie! I just changed ISP's!
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 6:29pm »

Dear Nots:

Started this cycle in Nov. '01 and still going (although down to minor shadows since April) so as to whether or not I'm chronic, I guess the jury's still out on that one.

I took Depakote for approximately 7-8 weeks.  I started with 500mg for 5 weeks and then 1000mg for 2 weeks.  I'm sorry to say that it did not help.  If anything, I felt worse.  I never had a cycle where I would get any more than 2 hits a day but after I started the Depakote it got to the point where I was having up to 8 hits a day.  I can't say for sure that it was the meds because you know that that might have happened without the depakote too.  It got to the point where I had to insist that my neuro take me off or I would just stop on my own.

Aside from that, the side effects aren't too fun either.

Wishing you the best of luck and PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 11:29pm »

Thanks for the responses all and I'll be replying to my own message here shortly once I have some info.  

As a follow-up question, about how long did it take to penetrate your system(s) where you knew the drug was having an effect, either good or bad, on your condition. Surprisingly, I can't find this information out with certainty.  

Pred seems to act almost immediatly while it seems Verap takes several weeks. My patience for pie in the sky pills that don't work is very slim. So if this doesn't take hold as purported, it's on to the next for me.  

Thanks,  
nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
SteveP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 4:04pm »

Nots,

For what it's worth, I'm going on 10 days with 500mg/day and I've noticed a difference in CH.  Yesterday, I didn't have usual morning CH, only shadow.
Today I had mild CH and used o2.

Experienced some muscle cramping and slight dizziness.

Good luck Nots,

SteveP
IP Logged
MarkV
New Board Junior

have a beer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 5:32pm »

After being episodic for over 10 years, I went chronic early last year.  At the tail end of the year I weened off of prednisone and switched to verap 360mg/day which was working fine.  

Then I started full clusters again after about 3 months.  Adding Depakote 100mg/day with the verap did the trick.  Noticed improvement within 3 days of taking, and almost complete subsidence within 7 days.  Still get hit, but not nearly as bad.  I tried tapering the verap without success.  The drug combo does the trick for me.  

Maybe its just me, but I feel it took around 6 months before I felt 'emotionally stable' on the Depakote.  Don't know how to explain it other than I did not feel myself during that period.

Mark
IP Logged

don't have a cow
MarkV
New Board Junior

have a beer

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 5:33pm »

just noticed in my reply I forgot a zero.  1000 mg/day Depakote, not 100

Mark
IP Logged

don't have a cow
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 4:12am »

Thanks for the feedback again---

Going to double my dosage to 500mg and then that's it. If anything I'm feeling a bit worse and getting a steady arse kicking where at least in the past I'd get a day respite here and there.  

I'm so fuckin sick of dealing with this I could scream. And sometimes do. I know you all know what I mean.
IP Logged

NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 12:30pm »

Hey Nots - sorry to hear that you are in such pain.  I have no good news to tell you regarding Depakote  Sad  The only thing I gained from taking that medication was WEIGHT!!!!!

Keep the faith and let us know how the higher dosage works.

NotH20
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 2:20pm »

depakote has done nothing for me in the 5 months i've been on it. i've gone up as high as 2000mg/night. now trying 1000mg/night along with verapamil. we'll see if that works.  

one thing i noticed was that when i would increase the depakote by 500mg. each time i would get like 3 days pain free but then the ha would come back

jd

also i don't feel myself. sex drive and motivation is all screwed up.
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss