Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 4th, 2024, 6:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Found A Clusterhead MD »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Found A Clusterhead MD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Found A Clusterhead MD  (Read 533 times)
Dave_M

Email

Found A Clusterhead MD
« on: Aug 24th, 2002, 12:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

In 1988 I was lucky enough to run into a Doctor C-Head;
He called the condition "Cranial Constriction" and prescribed Valium. Knocked out a Kip8 in 5 minutes! Also made me a stoned Zombie. He then put me on Xanex. Takes a little longer to knock down but can take a Kip8 to a Kip3 pretty quick. The trick is to take it right when a shadow comes on. I DON'T know if this will work on my poor chronic brethren. Smiley
IP Logged
lftsidex10

Email

Phone consult?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 1:23pm »

is your cluster head MD available
for a phone consultation?

Thanks from CA,

leftsidex10
IP Logged
kelly_dawn
New Board Newbie

what doesnt kill you makes you stronger

paintedladee7778  
Email

Re: Found A Clusterhead MD
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

went to my doctor for more imigran and i found out he too was a fellow sufferer, what was a ten minute appointment turned into 45 mins!!! unfortunately over here they seem reluctant to give me strong pills and the ones i am on are expensive so i have to go back each time i want more wihich is usually every two weeks, my cycle has lasted about 6 months this time on and off.
unfortunately he has moved and they keep trying to find cheaper drugs, bastards.
IP Logged

Go placidly, amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence..... Desiderata
Dave_M

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 9:31pm »

Sorry to say that he retired and then passed away. BUT......Most MDs will be okay with if Xanex if you tell them about the sore scalp and you hate the effects of Valium. Xanex isn't any where near as addictive. I'll pray for you.
Dave
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 11:05pm »

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Xanax or Valium are normally prescribed for Cluster Headahces.

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 11:21am »

Nope, but Xanax is fantastic for anxiety attacks!

Sherry
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 6:07pm »

I don't beleave that benzodiazepines like Valium®=diazepam and Xanax®=alprazolam can "knock out" a CH attack - how should they ? And I absolutely don't beleave that a MD who's a CHead himself would use/prescribe benzoes for CH - if doing so, he only could be a charlatan ! I rather suspect that somebody tries to promote benzodiazepines here...

Concerning Xanax(alprazolam), from the RxList:

Warnings/Precautions: Dependence and Withdrawal Reactions, Including Seizures

Certain adverse clinical events, some life-threatening, are a direct consequence of physical dependence to alprazolam. These include a spectrum of withdrawal symptoms; the most important is seizure. Even after relatively short-term use at the doses recommended for the treatment of transient anxiety and anxiety disorder (i.e., 0.75-4.0 mg per day), there is some risk of dependence.  

The same is valid for Valium(diazepam).

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Dave_M

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 10:16pm »

Well, let me try again:
The clinical diagnosis was "Cranial Constriction" which means that the muscles in my head are tightening down on my skull, which is confirmed by a very sore scalp after the episode has passed. The episodes always begin the same-pain behind the right ear, moves up and ends up in my forehead. Those that don't believe that Xanex or Valium, which are muscle relaxers, will work, FINE! Don't take them! I'm just trying to tell fellow sufferers what MAY provide relief. I'm a little miffed at the suggestion that I'm trying to sell narcotics.
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28th, 2002, 10:47pm »

Dave... I'm sorry... But this is a site for cluster headaches, and that is what we normally deal with here.  We don't have any information for your type of headache, and the information you are giving to cluster headache sufferers is not valid for us.  I'm sorry, but you may need to find a site more devoted to the disorder that you've been diagnosed with.

PFDAN.......................... Drk^Angel
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2002, 10:49pm by drkangel » IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29th, 2002, 12:37pm »

I may be wrong (please correct me Tom, if I am) but I don't think Xanax or Valium are even considered muscle relaxants.  Although they do make you relax.

I have taken Xanax in the past and it is fantastic for anxiety attacks but I think I still had CH's while I was taking it.  Not 100% sure though...can't remember.

I now deal with my anxiety attacks without meds due to a great technique I learned on the internet!  (I love the internet, so much info, so little time...)

Sherry
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29th, 2002, 4:35pm »

Hi Sherry,

almost all benzodiazepines - like Xanax and Valium - are not only tranquillizers and anxiolytics but at the same time  v e r y  potent (central nervous) muscle relaxants and sedatives (and they don't belong to the narcotics at all) .  

All benzoes have a very high mental and physical dependence potential (like the narcotics, too) and should not be given over a longer period.

It's "a matter of a MD's taste" whether he/she prescribes benzoes for painful tightened muscles or not - I wouldn't .

There are other central muscle relaxants like methacarbamol (Robaxin®,Carbacot®) that don't cause dependancy and also have a much weaker sedative effect.

Anyhow: I can't immagine any kind of pharmacological mechanism that would render benzoes prophylactics or abortives for CH - but may be that they could be indicated for the prophylactic/abortive treatment of CH panic attacks caused by the excruciating pain we all know very well. I never used or prescribed them myself, tried always to find another solution.

Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Dave_M

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29th, 2002, 7:08pm »

Fine. Suffer away. I tried to be helpful and got shot down. Before I leave this site I'll say it again-IT HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR THE LAST 14 YEARS. Goodbye.
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29th, 2002, 10:36pm »

Dave... We have no problems with it working for you, but you don't suffer the same malady as us.  Cluster headaches are not the same as tension type headaches.  What works for you most likely won't work for us.  I'm sorry, but those are the facts.

PFDAN.......................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30th, 2002, 1:22am »

Xanax doe's two things for me. Sleep and forget, sometimes thats not all that bad a deal.

Lee
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss