Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « More questions on oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   More questions on oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: More questions on oxygen  (Read 694 times)
HypnoticFreddy

Email

More questions on oxygen
« on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was prescribed oxygen for my CHs a few weeks ago. The prescription was for 7 L/min thru a nasal cannulus (sp?). I will be getting a new presciption for a face mask and a higher flow rate.

Last night was a rough one, and at 2:00 AM, after awakening to the beast....I turned on my oxygen, and fell asleep. When I awoke again at 4:30 AM, the headache was more intense, and I had depleted the oxygen out of that tank (I have many more!!!).
Is it ok to fall asleep with pure O2 going into your body? I have heard that it may dehydrate you, so if oxygen is used this way, a water tank can also be hooked up. Does anyone have thoughts on this.  

I have been told that I have gas  Grin , Now I really do!!!! and lots of it!!
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: More questions on oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Uh.........that's not the way I use it.  When shadow appears, I hit the 02 for a few minutes......if not gone within 5-10 minutes, hit it again........usually works.  For me, if I  hit it too long I get a different kind of  head pain, separate from my "usual" ch, and stop immediately, wait 5-10 min and try again.  I think you will get several responses re the advisability of leaving on at 7lpm  while sleeping.  We're all different, but I don't recall reading posts of anyone using 02 in that manner.

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hey H Fred......the nose cannula is ...IMO... a waste of time. Click on these links:

[url]http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1025929622;start=6[/url]

[url]http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1014270746;start=2[/url]

I've tried getting some sleep by hooking up the cannula at about 3-4 LPM and NO JOY.  Angry It IS a good idea to get the water bubbler to keep from getting dried up thoat and sinus (fancy medical term). About 3 bucks at your medical supplier.

Good luck....used properly, o2 is a Godsend for most (70%) of us.
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Melissa

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:15pm »

Quote:
Is it ok to fall asleep with pure O2 going into your body?

No, it is not OK.  It can lead to dehydration, and drying of respiratory exchange surfaces.  So please be careful not to fall asleep while using it!  (And yes, Not4Hire is right about the bubbler!)

You are to use O2 at 8-10 liters per minute for 10-15 minutes, delivered with a non-rebreathing mask.  I've found, for myself, I've needed the flow rate at 12 lpm to kick the beasts butt.

Good Luck!
 SmileyMel
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:21pm by Melissa » IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 1:17pm »

Using pure O2 for an extended time can possibly damage or rupture lung tissue, especially at high flow rates, so once you get your mask, make sure to remove the strap, so you don't fall asleep with it fastened to your face by mistake.

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss