Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any input on Naratriptan (amerge)? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any input on Naratriptan (amerge)?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any input on Naratriptan (amerge)?  (Read 359 times)
PhilipSuarez

Email

Any input on Naratriptan (amerge)?
« on: Aug 21st, 2002, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm desperate...... low on Imitrex, 3rd set of clusters this year, haven't slept in days and depressed, so after over a decade once again, I'm gonna try something else.  Anybody out there have any experiences to share on the use of Amerge??? really apperciate it.      
               PHIL
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Any input on Naratriptan (amerge)?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Phil: Sorry for the pain. There seems to be agreement that Amerge is not useful for cluster because of a slow onset (but long life). It's a reformulation of Imitrex for migraine (because Imitrex has too short a useful life for some folks).

Look below for my two messages on Zyprexa. I'm finding better than Imitrex nasal spray and it aborts my attacks in 20-minutes.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 11:14am »

I only partly agree with Bob. As Naratriptan (Amerge) takes more than half an hour to kick in, it is not suitable to abort an attack. However, with it's long half life time (about 4 hours) it can be used as a short time preventative. I take an Amerge at bed time, and it usually keeps the night time attacks away.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 2:21pm »

Most definitely not suitable to abort an individual attack, it just takes to long to kick in.  But be careful using it as a preventative.  I took it 3 days in a row once, and was pain free on those 3 days.  On day 4, I woke up with an attack that had me screaming and sent me to the E.R..  It was the single worst attack I ever had.  Overuse of the triptans always made my attacks more frequent and more severe.

Peace,

-Rick
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2002, 2:22pm by rick » IP Logged
Jaybee

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 7:30pm »

I found that amerge did abort the day's pain, but left me groggy and unable to do anything except sleep the day away.  Normally, my clusters are over by 9 or 10 in the morning, and I can do some work.  I will use my remaining amerge if I get a kip 9 or 10, but I have only had about 6 headaches this summer at the 4-6 kip level.  For the most part, I am sticking with my regimen of magnesium, b-vitamins, turmeric, ginger (and a time released melatonin before an early bedtime).
IP Logged
barbee

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 11:45pm »

[color=Pink][/color] Wink Wink Wink Wink

Amerge worked for me like it did for Rick.  Taken at bedtime assures you of a good night's sleep, without a ha, but a bit groggy the next morning.  But, not more than 2 times in a row.  Three is pushing it.  So save it for when you really need sleep. Good luck!
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22nd, 2002, 8:35am »

I tried amerge and found it did not abort my clusters frequently enough for me to bother taking it and it is as expensive as imitrix.  I realize everyone is different and it may work for you.  I highly recomend trying it.  Hope it works for you.

Karla
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 7:29pm »

Dear Phil.  I would take a 50mg tab of imitrex together with 1mg amerge when my first attack of the night hit (around 10p).  Everyone above is right.  Works really slow.  I would just stand in a hot shower and wait until it was over.

Upside:  I did skip my 2a hit and then still got my 6a hit.  It did allow me to get a block of about 6 hours sleep per night.

Downside:  I started to do this every night.  I think the beast got pissed.  My attacks started coming in the daytime (when they never did that before).  Sometimes hits started and 10a and continued until 6p (45 min. ch 45 min break, 45 min ch, 45 min break, etc. ).  I swear it was the amerge sending my ch's all over the place.

Do what you gotta do!  I wish you all PFDAN always, Linda T
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24th, 2002, 9:19am »

When I am in full cycle, I will get attakcs both day and night.  By taking amerge before bedtime, it would allow me to sleep the whole night through.  Trust me....sleeping the whole night through made it a lot easier dealing with the daytime attacks.  I took amerge at bedtime for 2 months.  I weened myself off of it by taking half doses for a few weeks.  I would however get rebound headaches if I skipped a dose...Although it sucks as an abortative...I wouldn't be able to deal if I didn't take it as a preventative.
Hope this helps

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
barbee

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24th, 2002, 10:00am »

???How did you get enough Amerge for nightly pills for two months?  I'm allowed only 9 per month
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 11:19am »

I can have 6 every 3 days.  I think that it is just different insurance policies/companies allowing different amounts.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
gtar_man
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 5:11pm »

Well, it seemed to work much the same as Zomig for me - used it when the attacks started and definately aborted the attack, but made my chest hurt like crazy, since it's a vasoconstrictor. MY neuro (at the time) prescribed it in conjunction with Zyprexa which put me down for the count and major grogged me out in the morning. I try to stay away from both Zomig and Amerge since I'm 52 and don't think a heart attack is the answer I'm looking for. Yet, anyway.
IP Logged

I'm not a damn newbie! I just changed ISP's!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss