Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Tried Almost Everything »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Tried Almost Everything
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tried Almost Everything  (Read 576 times)
whart
New Board Newbie

Tried Almost Everything
« on: Aug 17th, 2002, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've suffered headaches since i was a kid; used to be told they were sinus headaches or migraines. Was diagnosed as a cluster sufferer approx 10 years ago, and among all the blockers i've tried, Sansert works most often (not always), with barely tolerable side effects. Apart from other blocking meds, i have tried all sorts of herbal, hot/cold, chiro/massage/accu-.\ tricks, some of which provide mild, temporary relief.  
New doc, finally tried imitrex (the earlier neuro kept insisting that it was only indicated for migraine, not cluster). The tablets didn't do much, but the nasal spray seems to work. I am thus interested in the injectable form. However, there seem to be serious limitations on dosage, even in the spray: eg only 2 sprays w/in a 24 hour cycle. Apart from the expense of taking more, why the limitation. Is it insurance driven, or are there serious contras from spraying too much?  
In a cycle, i get headaches when i sleep, whether its a nap or an all night stretch: the headache wakes me up, and i must seek relief.
In another post, here, i indicated i want to try a more intense ox regime, but i'm open to suggestions. Many thanks in advance (and praise somebody for this site).
IP Logged
KaseyD

Email

Re: Tried Almost Everything
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sure others know more than I do but I know that Imitrex severely restricts your blood vessels.  That's why most doctors insist that you take your first dose of the injection in front of them so they can monitor you and how you handle it.  My doctor said if I had any type of blocked artery it could cause a heart attack or stroke.

That being said and knowing that we should all listen to our doctors advice - I have taken up to 4 injections in less than 24 hours and I live to type about it.
IP Logged
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

Re: Tried Almost Everything
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am going to let someone more versed in the contras answer that part of the question for you...but I did want to point you to the link of the left hand side of your screen called "Imitrex Tip".  The injections come in single dose, STAT dose, syringes, which is considered one full dose, 6mg. However, many have found success using only 2mg per headache...allowing you to treat more headaches a day and still stay within the recommended dosage limit (not to mention getting 3 times the treatment for the money) Check out the link for full info.
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss