Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex qestions from new user »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex qestions from new user
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex qestions from new user  (Read 353 times)
gpolma

Email

Imitrex qestions from new user
« on: Aug 17th, 2002, 4:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am going through my first cycle of two weeks and counting, and a neurologist has diagnosed me (at age 39) as a cluster headache sufferer.  I get one headache a night, waking me up about two hours after I go to sleep.  I used an Imitrex self-injector for the first time last night and, to my amazement, it quickly eliminated the  headache.  Two questions:  (i) Will I develop a tolerance, i.d., will  Imitrex become less effective at eliminating my headaches after I've been using it for a while?  (ii) Since I'd prefer to avoid frequent injections, how does the Imitrex inhaler compare in terms of speed and effectiveness?
IP Logged
KaseyD

Email

Re: Imitrex qestions from new user
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 5:03pm »

I have been using Imitrex injections since they became available and I never developed a tolerance (thank God!!).  However, I am an episodic user and tend to go long periods of time (more than a year) between cycles.  I'm not sure if chronic sufferers get immuned.  I was able to use the injections a minimum of twice in a 24 hour period for over 11 straight weeks and it worked perfect every time.

As far as the nasal spray goes - I tried it and it made me throw up and did absolutely nothing for my CH.

IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 3:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The only thing that work fast enough for us is the shots if you ask me.
6-9 minutes after taking the shot you are "normal"again   Smiley

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
gills
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 4:47am »

Ive heard a lot of people who take Imitrex have heart attacks.  I would find out more about this if I were you. Maybe other clusterheads can help here if they know about the dangers if any of Imitrex.

Gills
IP Logged
Chronic
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2002, 1:20pm »

Gill, I think you may be scaring people.  While Imitrex has caused heart attacks for some people, it is only usually those with existing heart conditions.  If you have a neuro with any sense, he won't prescribe Imitrex if you are at risk.  I have been using Imitrex for over 5 years and I have never had a problem.  As far as the original post.....I have never developed a "tolerance" for the stuff.  As a matter of fact, my current cycle is going on 11 months, and it is still as effective as day 1.  The nasal spray barely worked for me and it took a hell of a lot longer than the shots.  While I'm not into being a human pin cushion, its a small price to pay to get rid of the devil.

PFDAN
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2002, 2:53pm »

Gills,
From hearsay one learns to lie.

Before spreading horror stories you've heard somewhere you'd better read about indications and contraindications, by example by typing Imitrex or Sumatriptan into the search box of http://www.rxlist.com/ and read what comes up.

Do you want to frighten people away from the only thing that helps them?

PFNAD's
Ueli
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss