Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Here's What Works for Me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Here's What Works for Me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Here's What Works for Me  (Read 412 times)
renrob

Email

Here's What Works for Me
« on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OK, so this is my first post, though I've known about the site for a long time.  I've been dealing with these bastards for a decade now, been through a lot of meds, banged my head against walls and doors like and old school metal musician and paced a wide groove down the middle of my living room floor.  Y'all know what I'm talking about.
Last year, I thought I'd try something different.  When I'm having a headache, I'm in constant motion, so I thought, "my body wants me to move.  What is it telling me?" So I moved, vigorously.  And what happened? My headache stopped.  Every time I'd get a headache, I'd do squats, run in place, throw my arms around like a mad-man and within 10-15 minutes, it'd be gone.  The really incredible thing was that it seemed to lessen the severity of the headaches that followed, and I got fewer of them.  
As you all know, the cluster adapts, so what works for one bout probably won't work for the next (does anyone else share the belief that this thing is a virus?).  So this year, when the headaches returned, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to replicate the results.  Got the first one a couple of weeks ago, went to the basement, got on the stationary bike (just had knee surgery, can't do squats!) and pedaled like mad.  13 minutes later I was back in bed and I didn't wake up until the alarm went off.  I've actually been able to abort headaches in as little as 5 minutes!  FYI, in the past I'd have these headaches that'd go on for hours.  Very frightening, very awful.  Now I feel like I'm in control, not the cluster.   And folks, no side-effects like all the drugs I took, unless you count a rock-hard butt and a stronger heart as a side-effect!
One last thing: the effect doesn't take place until I break out in a good sweat.  And if I go about it passivly, it doesn't work at all.  I really, really have to pump those legs and arms before I feel a lessening of the pain.  If you're out of shape, you might want to see your doctor before you go wild!
That's it.  I hope it helps someone out there.  You are all in my thoughts.
IP Logged
Jaybee

Email

Re: Here's What Works for Me
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 9:17pm »

(does anyone else share the belief that this thing is a virus?) ---  I believe it is a demon, but maybe a demon with virus like behaviors.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 9:19pm by Jaybee » IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 2:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway  

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle    
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree    
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg    
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily    

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway  

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
barbee

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 3:46am »

[/color][color=Green][color=Maroon][/color]

Happy that you found a good abortive.  Could it be that the vigorous exercise makes you breathe deeply, thus taking in more oxygen? And oxygen constricts the blood vessels.  

When I'm having a high Kip HA I find I'm holding my breath.  Deep breathing helps.    

Keep up the good work, and stay pf
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 8:32am »

guys ' gals,  

I sit as still as I can; takes lots of energy, but as you said, I now feel that I am in control, not the pain.

some break the demon's back by icecold
others by heat
some by vigorous excercise (power lifting, wind surfing have been mentioned),
some go from kip 8 to 10 if they even try.

If it works for you, great!
If not, try the other side...
IP Logged
Cry-or-die

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 10:26am »

Mine get worse with heavy exertion so I stopped doing that.
BTW, what a KEWL avitar ave!! I like that one!
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2002, 12:02am »

Barbee you hit the nail on the head with the oxygen thing... Ave sometimes Dave does that too... It seems like every cure he becomes immune to... at first exercise will work then it wont... Imatrex works then it wont... He has been on it all and done it all... cycle has to peek and go away... thanks Ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2002, 11:53pm »

Quote:
...only I do it while wearing my O2 mask...nice long hose.

heh heh

damn ego maniac

Kiss

Love,
G
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss