Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 5:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Robaxin + Imitrex + Oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Robaxin + Imitrex + Oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Robaxin + Imitrex + Oxygen  (Read 1798 times)
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Robaxin + Imitrex + Oxygen
« on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Third cycle in six years. First in '94 (8 weeks), remission for three years, then in 99 (14 weeks), then remission for three years, new cycle this year. Always on left side. They are building in frequency and intensity. Have moved sinse last round so I had to find a new doc. Found one who at least heard of clusters and asked me how I wanted to treat them. I had read of the Robaxin on the OUCH site and related to him that I'd like to try it.
After a week of using it, they seem to do two things. First they lessen the intensity and duration, second they seem to cut the shear number. At my peak, I was six a day. The last three nite, I had only one and it was half of normal.
The downside - they put me into such a deep sleep, that I often don't sense them coming until they have set in pretty hard. Then I have to pop an Imitrex and head for the O2 and wait. Usually, the wait is ten to fifteen minutes. Also, since they tend to make me drowsy, when I head to work I'm not fully allert and functioning. Since I don't have a physical job, it seems to work its way thru without too much hassle.
Anyone else trying this combo?
domm
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

Re: Robaxin + Imitrex + Oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 5:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm doing the Imitrex and O2 but don't know anything about Robaxin. I am on Pred though and that seems to be helping so far.

My problem is I can't sleep. Don't know if the Imitrex is causing it or the Pred but I would love a good nights sleep. Last night I was wide awake until 3 AM.

Chris L
IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 6:24pm »

Christine - after reading lots of other posts, I feel so fortunate to have long periods of remission. But pain is such a personal thing, its hard to put into words what happens. Prednisone scared me because I'm older and my own hormones are waning. Didn't want another complicating factor. Read the other day they are now calling it "IMS" (irritable male syndrome) to go along with PMS.....
Robaxin is usually used as a muscle relaxant. My wife uses it (along with lots of other pain killers) for her arthritis (so it was easy for me to try). The other treatments - Verapemil, etc.- are all calcium channel blockers and can affect the heart. Didn't feel comfortable with that either.
I've been away from the board for a few years, so I'm reading with interest about the mushrooms. Had lots of friends who used them in the sixies for recreation!!! now we find out they may be helpful......
good luck and hang in there. they do go away.
domm
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I started my CH's in the 70's and then in the late 80's went into remission for 12 years. They just started again a month ago after all that time.  

I am 51 but the Dr. says I am healthy so I am trying the Pred again...........also tried it the first time. Hope I don't  gain the weight that I did last time - WOW!!! LOL.

Is Robaxin like Soma? My ex use to take that for his back as a muscle relaxant. I'll have to add  it to my files for future consideration if this treatment stops working.

Chris L
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 6:35pm by ChristineL » IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 6:45pm »

Not sure what Soma is. My Doc kind of raised his eyebrows when I suggested Robaxin. He said it was a central nervous system agent (depressant, I think), but he didn't hesitate to write out the prescription. The generic tastes like bitters, but the name brand has a coating. Either way, I'm sleeping better and I think that's a chunk of the battle. The pain keeps me awake, tense and tired which makes the pain easier to hit me, and so on...
thank god I have an understanding wife and family. they make it all worth while.
TTFN
domm
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:19pm »

Hey domm(and the rest of y'all in this thread)..... now we're talkin'....... if you've READ up on Robaxin...here in the archives and elsewhere..... you already know that that it has been recommended by a Dr. (Douglas) who is a clusterhead himself. He claims to have had good results/relief with it as a preventative. I've been taking it for about 3 months now. No side effects like you describe: deep sleep, excess drowsiness, etc. But then I never have had *strong* reactions to drugs........ takes me 3-4 grams of the fungus to get to a Level 2.5....... please email me for more info on this therapy and there is LOTS of info here in the archives....... you are on the right track with Imitrex, and o2...... seems to me most of the other *preventatives* have some harsh side effects....YMMV (your mileage may vary)....... hope you find your *key*....best.....Steve
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 3:53pm »

Steve - thanks for the post. No - I hadn't read the archives on Robaxin. and yes, I do tend to "react" strongly to meds. I far prefer to be chem free, but life seems to have other ideas for some of us. My 3 year remissions tend to make me lax in staying up on things - that and my six year old Granddaughter - who demands large amounts of "PopPops" time.  
Got nailed with a K6-7 at lunch today while out with the boss. I knew I was going out with him, so I tailed off the Robaxin this morning (dumb huh?) but I wanted to be sharp. Oh well, he'll just have to deal with it.
I'll dig a bit deeper with the Doc's advise.  
thanks     domm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss