Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Capsicum »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Capsicum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Capsicum  (Read 498 times)
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Capsicum
« on: Aug 12th, 2002, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone have any experience with using Capsicum (Cayenne Pepper/Red Pepper)?  I called the Clinical Trial (on General Posts) closest to me and was told that they are using a intranasal spray with capsicum as the main ingredient.  I saw some info on the web that said it "cools the hypothalumus" (sp?) and other information but only found a couple of posts here.  If Botox stops working for me, I will be participating in the trial as you can continue to use most medications during the trial (including imitrex!)  They are testing to see if this spray will shorten a cycle.  I am registering on the 24th (they are even coming in on a Saturday since it is a two hour drive for me-nice) and if I get a bout in the next year I can try it.  Any info would be appreciated.
Karyn
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
Jaybee

Email

Re: Capsicum
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2002, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have seen some research articles on the capsicum spray; they indicated it was a reasonably effective treatment. One article reccomended dabbing a small amount of capsicum cream inside the nasal passage.  My experience was that this treatment was almost as bad as a CH itself.  It hurt and caused a lot more drainage.  I switched to cayenne capsules, which occassionally cause some warming of the stomach, but are often without side effects. (note: long term use of industrial strength tobasco can damage the kidneys)

As to 'cooling the hypothalamus' - that sounds like mumbo jumbo to me (but I could be wrong).  Most medical science articles talk about capsicum depleting or blocking a pain transmitter called Substance P - chillies are really a type of painkiller.  It is different from other painkillers in one way - it doesn't cause numbness!  But it also takes time for capsaicin to take effect, and in that time, it burns!

Ginger has compounds that are chemical cousins to capsaicin and have a similiar effect on substance P, and can also scorch the mouth if strong enough.  But ginger has other modes of action - it blocks spasms of the smooth muscle, and is anti-migraine.
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2002, 10:40pm »

I drink tabasco all the time, and it hasn't helped any...

PFDAN.................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:24pm »

Has anybody experiances with the rectal application of capsaicin ?- it would certainly create a CH dance even more exotic...!
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 8:49pm »

I have found that hot sauce can stop a shadow for 15 min. I haven't tried eating it continuously so thats all the relief I get. The under the tougne trick for 5 min. gives the same results.
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
paul_b
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

guido90601  

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 11:12pm »

Hey Tom, the idea of a burning "tush" is not a cool idea for me ;D ;D ;D. It could however, be a great distraction to the pain in head.
IP Logged
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 6:37am »

KarenG

Hit the search button at the top of your screen and type Capsicum... its helped quite a few people here.

Huh ... and I thaught i was dislexic ... Capsicum ... never hear of it  

Type Capsaicin ... ja ok sorry man

Danny
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2002, 10:58am by dannyboy » IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 1:52pm »

I did use the search engine before my post and found very little.  I don't have any idea what the rest of your post means.   ???
Thanks
Karyn
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2002, 1:54pm by KarynG » IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
PhilipSuarez

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 9:46am »

I'm going on my 3rd set of clusters this year.  Usually I get them once a yr at the same time.  But this year in NY  we are going on our almost 30th day of 90+ degree humidity, its been an inferno (finally broke this week), so I believe this weather pattern has set off the monster thats dormant within me.  Since my insurance has decreased the amount of Imitrex I can get monthly I have sank into desperate waters and are willing to try ANYTHING.  So 2 days ago I did, capsicum.  Read nasal adm has shown beneficial effects, hell I sank lower than this.  Went all over the city did not find nasal form, so got dropper form extract of cayenne flower, sounds nice doesn't it.  Not really sure how or how much to take, so took 1/4cc in dropper in side of CH up my nare................WOW, almost passed out, its like literally being maced up your nose, I began to salivate and choke, my eye was bulging out of my head.  Its been 2 days, I'm still not back to normal!  and your suppose to do this TWICE a day.....I'm still too traumatized.  BTW i'm still getting the horrible affliction.
I still might try it again but need to find the right way and concetrate.  good luck and let me know if anybody does find it.    PHIL
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 3:12pm »

Everyone thinks I am crazy for this, but this last cycle I tried tabasco up the nose.  It worked about 50% of the time.

Tabasco contains capsaicin.  I put a drop on my little finger and rub it on the bottom and left side (side my CH is on) of my nasal cavity.  It got rid of the pain (when it worked) within 1 minute.  Burns but not too bad.  I don't snort it back any further than my pinky reaches cuz then it makes my throat scratchy.  

The original way to use it is under the tongue, but that did not work for me at all.  And I admit that the burning in the nose was a welcome distraction when it did not abort the CH.

For what its worth!

Sherry
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss