Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 5:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What is with this circadian rhythm thang? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   What is with this circadian rhythm thang?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is with this circadian rhythm thang?  (Read 1549 times)
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: What is with this circadian rhythm thang?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 7:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For those of you that may not know Cry-or-die, formerly known as mikeyd

He is a friend of Ali-the-nut-case-doctor, IP 24.69.209.200
His post title on 5-24-01 "cluster CURE"
This is what mikeyd said "cut the nerve that is wrapped around the artery that is causing the pain"
and "U are pain free...for GOOD"
He also said "I have to say that for a support group...you suck!"

For those that do not know Ali Sultaneh, he was new to the board 4-3-01, claims to be a neurosurgeon in Damascus, static IP 195.22.198.9, also went by the name smith.

Nuf said.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2002, 7:15pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
maria

Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Cry,  
    I think the "reset" of the hypothalamus is probably speculation/ hypothesis and won't be found in the research.  But I think Pinky mentioned it in one of his shroom threads.  IMHO I think there may be some validity to it, and that is why I wonder about the meds causing longer cycles or episodics turning into chronics.

regarding your quote in your last post here is the long version of it:  

Yesterday was history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present.

add to that one of my other favorite quotes:

The world is so full  
  of a number of things,
I am sure we should all
  be as happy as kings.

Keep up on your research. Maria
IP Logged
Cry-or-die

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:13pm »

Yes Bobg,
That is correct, I did say that stuff...and I also recognize that there are other ways of dealing with this phenomenon without surgery.  

That was also my first post I think...and the respondants to that string were quite cruel to pick on a newbie in such a rude and discourteous way! Allright...as far as a support group goes, you're great...for the most part with only a few miserable old farts without the patience to take the time to point a newbie in the right direction without making them feel 2 fucking inches tall.  

Be patient and help...don't be a jerk and everyone will get along.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Bob

Cry
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:35pm »

Cry-or-die,  

The site http://www.sukel.com/mercury%20amalgam%20silver%20fillings%20unsafe.htm is the home page of Phillip P. Suckel. Didn't you notice the 3 letters DDS following his name? I guess you know what they stand for. I wonder how big his yacht is.
This is the prototype of a web page for a scam artist. Just one hint: 3 countries and partially a fourth have allegedly banned amalgam, but of course no verifiable links are given. Why should he? Europe is far away and nobody - except a few - know anyway anything about it.
A good example is our dear Cry-or-die, for whom three or four European countries are "most of Europe". My last count of European countries is 45, the same number as the continental states of the USA.

After reading BobP's post nothing surprises me anymore. Cry-or-die, please go spread you bullshit somewhere else. We don't like snake oil salespeople here, and I have better things to do than to retort your crap.

To all others PFNADs,
Ueli
IP Logged
Cry-or-die

Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:47pm »

Well, I'll look around to see what I can find to change my opinion. Since you haven't given me anything to look for. As for retorts...keep them, you sound angry about something, I want no part of your anger.Further, I am big enuf to admit when I am wrong.  
I get hornery when I get my ch's too...I will remove or modify any of my postings that are incorrect...without hesitation. Send me a message in pm or ICQ and we can discuss it together instead of wasting everyones time and energy on this ok?

IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #30 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:54pm »

You get so WHAT when you get CHs?  
Hey BobG. You remember who it was that had that special method of relieving his attacks?
IP Logged
maria

Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:03pm »

Hey all,

I don't care who said what or who did what but please answer my question about resetting the hypothalamus and whether meds interfere with the hypothalamus' ability to "reset" itself.  Inquiring, Maria
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #32 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:07pm »

Hey Ted  

yes, I remember

but don't ask why I remember that sort of thing.
IP Logged

Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #33 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:13pm »

I have never seen any studies on your questions but I can speculate. Since most episodics who take meds "to cheat the beast" don't turn chronic and most sufferers aren't chronic I don't see any correlation. As for longer cycles, people have killed cycles by taking meds, legal or not, so I don't see a correlation there.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:14pm by Ted » IP Logged
maria

Email

« Reply #34 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:28pm »

Thanks Ted, BobP would like your opinion here or any one else (Pinky). Thanks. Maria

IP Logged
Wendy1
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #35 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:35pm »

OK, (!)  I have not been here for almost a year and i see a few things have changed!!!  NE way, I almost didn't make it through my last cycle.  I have been pondering the thought of clipping the nerve that is affected and wondered how much research has been done on the subject.  I tell you, after the last cycle, I'm willing to try anything.  My sister-in-law recently had surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia and had a 'plate' inserted between the affected nerve and the arteries that were 'squeezing' the nerve.  Why can't they do something like that for us?  Oh, by the way , I hope I am posting this where I am supposed to.  No offense, but this new site is very confusing.  Especially with a ol' slow antiquated 'puter.  Thanks.  Wendy
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #36 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:54pm »

Maria,
As Arne May explained at our Regensburg meeting, During a cluster period some threshold is lowered, so when any of about a dozen neurotransmitters and enzymes crosses it, an attack starts.  
Verapamil and triptans act on the blood vessels, and I don't think they have an influence on the hypothalamus or the imbalance of the neurotransmitters and enzymes systems. It just takes its time for the above mentioned threshold to readjust, I don't think any preventatives or abortives have an influence.  
But then, if things get worse, people are prone to blame anything that changed.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #37 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 10:02pm »

Wendy,
Post anywhere you please!

Here's some places to click for "clipping"

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/74124.html
Rodger Griffin 1-11-01, Stereotactic Radio Frequency Rhizotomy  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/100398.html
Margi 7-12-01 list of posts about NOT having surgery

http://www.allsands.com/Misc1/gammakniferadi_uux_gn.htm
describes Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
IP Logged

Ueli

Email

« Reply #38 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 10:18pm »

Wendy,
For Trigeminal Neuralgia surgery can be indicated for refractory cases, and it has lots of success stories for it. But for CH no surgery, considered as successful by independent experts, is know. Please read the links BobG posted.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #39 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 8:52am »

Resetting the hypo - I agree with Ueli's post above.  I've never seen anything in writing about the meds we take affecting the hypothalamus.  They work mostly on neurotransmitters at the neuron level.

The hypo does receive "feedback" from sensors in the body which let it know what's going on.  Oops, blood pressure is too high, better cut back on 5HT and let the blood vessels expand to lower the pressure.  Oops, this guy ate some food, better fire off some 5HT to help the GI track move it along, etc.  The meds could affect the feedback the hypo receives and in that way adjust it's functioning.  There was an English poster a while bck who was seeing Dr. Mathrau.  He siad Maqthrau told him a defective feedback loop was involved in CH.

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 9:13am »

Heritability of CH

Here's an overview of a study by the Italians:

Increased familial risk of cluster headache.

Leone M, Russell MB, Rigamonti A, Attanasio A, Grazzi L, D'Amico D, Usai S, Bussone G.

Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy.

The authors studied the occurrence of cluster headache in the families of 220 Italian patients with cluster headache. A positive family history was found in 20% (44/220) of the families. Compared with the general population, first-degree relatives had a 39-fold significantly increased risk of cluster headache. Second-degree relatives had an eightfold significantly increased risk. The increased familial risk strongly supports the hypothesis that cluster headache has a genetic component in some families.

PMID: 11342697 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #41 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:05am »

on Aug 14th, 2002, 7:12pm, BobG wrote:
For those of you that may not know Cry-or-die, formerly known as mikeyd

He is a friend of Ali-the-nut-case-doctor, IP 24.69.209.200
His post title on 5-24-01 "cluster CURE"
This is what mikeyd said "cut the nerve that is wrapped around the artery that is causing the pain"
and "U are pain free...for GOOD"
He also said "I have to say that for a support group...you suck!"

For those that do not know Ali Sultaneh, he was new to the board 4-3-01, claims to be a neurosurgeon in Damascus, static IP 195.22.198.9, also went by the name smith.

Nuf said.

Remind me never to piss off Bob!! Christ!   ;D

Slammy    Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2002, 11:06am by Slammy » IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
oringkid

Email

« Reply #42 on: Aug 15th, 2002, 4:03pm »

Jeez Louise!  

1)some of you have obviously removed your posts making it difficult to follow this thread

2)I don't think Cry-or-die's or MikeyD or whoever should be completely discounted just because of earlier posts where he thought something might actually help us.

3)Mercury is poisonous.  If you have it in your mouth it will eventually get into your body.  Whether or not it has any affect on CH, no one really knows.  None of us should have ever had mercury put into us.  Oh well.

4)I have absolutely no scientific basis or articles or whatever to support this opinion, but it is my opinion too, just from reading the posts on this board that Verapamil is causing some to go from episodic to chronic or at least it is prolonging the episodic's cycle.
Again that is just from reading the posts on this board.

5)None of us knows the intricate workings of the human brain.  Nor do we understand much of our environments impact on our systems.  Let's not be too closed minded.  I am not saying lets fall for every scam that comes around either.  But, lets not let our quest to find fault, allow us to overlook something that may seem unrelated at first glance, or too simple.  We have to deal with doctors and insurance companies and co-worker who are closed minded.  Let's not allow ourselves to fall into that all too comfortable trap.

Sherry
IP Logged
Cry-or-die

Email

« Reply #43 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 9:50am »

Thank you Sherry! This is how I feel about it. I'm only looking for answers and brainstorming with all of you and keeping an open mind about it all.  

I'm psyching myself up to do the shroom therapy and have ordered some spore prints (Thank you Tom for the links!).

I'm so frusrated with the beast that I'm grasping at whatever is within reach...it's scares the hell out of me. I just finished an episode and having really terrible tremors...I'm so scared, I never feel like this at any other time, even when I am realllyyy sick with a flu/infection.

I was coming back from my physician (for L5-S1 spondololysthesis) yesterday after discussing the fusing procedure when I had a complete meltdown in the rear end of my pickup truck, the differential ran out of oil. I was still 80 kilometers (50 miles for the american readers) away from home. Luckily I had my cellular with me...but had no reception on the highway...so I climbed the nearest hillside to get the best signal (about 1/2 mile to the top)and ordered tools, then later back up the hill for a buddy to  call me a tow truck...then later back up the hill to check to make sure he had sent one.  
Every time I started up that hill...I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest...it was pounding sooo hard it was scaring me. Is that the verapamil do ya think? Coz if it is, I am going to make every effort to avoid that kind of physical effort like that!  
I think I'm going off these meds and just go shroomin', no side effects with that.

Thanks people, off to work for a week.

bu-bye
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #44 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 1:35pm »

Good scientists approach their work with a mixture of hard-nose skepticism and wild-eyed imagination
Without the first, they may be led astray; without the second, science would never advance.

just a little bullshit philosophy from --

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
gills
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #45 on: Aug 16th, 2002, 8:49pm »

Cry

Very interesting.

My mouth is full of mercury fillings and I have been wondering if they have anytihing to do with CH.  I am an 18 year sufferer.  18 frst, 36 yo now.  ???

My CH sound the same as yours.  I once thought they were seasonal.  End of February, beginning March start for about 2 months.  In Australia this is end of summer, beginning of fall.  They are like clockwork. ???

I would like to know what occupations if any we are all as I have seen no research or statistics on this.  Do we work with our minds or are most of us physical in nature.  My field of employment is professional as a financial planner.

Hang in there Cry.

Gills.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss