Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « To much Imitrex? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   To much Imitrex?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: To much Imitrex?  (Read 354 times)
Kingfisher

Email

To much Imitrex?
« on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anybody know what happens if you use to much of this stuff?  I am lucky (or unlucky) enough to have one of those Doctors who just kind of writes scripts and sends ya packing.  

So I get my Imitrex in Vials.  I use  insulin needles and inject it 30 mls at a time. But  sometimes I go through between three to five bottles in 24 hours.  I am chronic with not over a five day break since 1996.  What is this use doing to my body?  Any ideas?

Rick
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Re: To much Imitrex?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Rick--I use the nasal spray and am not too familiar with the injections. I do know my package information sheet had a large amount of information. I can only suggest you read that or do a search for "Sumtriptan", which is the active ingridient in Imitrex.
--TomM--
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:43pm »

Rick--I use the nasal spray and am not too familiar with the injections. I do know my package information sheet had a large amount of information. I can only suggest you read that or do a search for "Sumtriptan", which is the active ingridient in Imitrex.
--TomM--
IP Logged

--Thoreau--
Marcos618
New Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:45pm »

I only had the injection once in a doctors office. Weeks later when I went to a headache clinic the doctor there almost fell out of his chair when I told him about Imitrex.  

The first time you get the injection you should have a doctor or nurse stay next to you for the next 20 minutes. Just incase your heart stops. It constricts the blood vessels in your head. It can also constrict the blood vessels in your heart. If you have a partical blockage now, you could run into having a heart attack after taking Imitrex.  

My first doctor gave me the shot and left me alone in a dark room for 20 minutes. He then prescribed 25 MG tablets, I finished taking 50 or 60 of them in one week and went back for 50 or 60 more for the second week. The third week he moved me up to 50 MG size.  

At the end of the third week I went to the headache clinic and told them what I was taking. Thats is when the doctor there almost fell out of his chair. He stated the limit was 9 pills per month. I ended up getting a very detailed physical from him that day. He told me he was surprised I survived the past three weeks.  

This all took place about 6 years ago. I have had heart surgury twice since Feb. 2000. Yes I have a few old Imitrex hidden at home. When all else fails during a full blown out CH I have taken one.  

I personally worry about people taking the drug myself. Check the other areas on this site about reducing the dosage you take each time by injection. I saw people say that 1/3 the dossage worked just as well for them. I think it is listed under Imitrex Tip to the left on your screen.
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 4:50pm »

Marcos is right. Sumatriptan is a vascular constrictor and can be dangerous. Read the tips on the left of the screen.
--TomM--
IP Logged

--Thoreau--
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 5:00pm »

Have a nurse or doctor stay with you when you take an Imitrex injection?????

Maybe if you have a pre-existing condition.... I just saw Dr. Kudrow, and he gave me 5 Imitrex injection samples and he never cautioned me on it's usage.... I've used 3 shots so far and they worked like a charm....

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Kingfisher

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 5:12pm »

I appreciate all the imput so far guys but when I say alot i mean that I have been using this stuff at least twice a day and sometimes as many as five or six times a day for FIVE years...... I am a thirty five year old man in otherwise decent health but at what point does my heart explode?

Rick
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 5:23pm »

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway  

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle    
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree    
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg    
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily    

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway    

I also have a bad heartcondition.Had a heartattack Nov 12.But quitting the shots is no option for me.I think that the shots is Gods gift to us clusterheads.  
The thing that i don`t understand or found the answer to is how i after the attack has had only 9 light clusterattacks."singleattacks"And before i was diagnosed as a cronical.  
But so it has been said."I do not reccomend heartattacks as a treatment for cluster".Its a bit extreme for that.Dont you think?    
Take care my friend    

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
kristi

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 12:02pm »

Slammy - I thought your cycle had ended - don't tell me it started back up?   Cry
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 6:33am »

Here is a message on safety posted 12/2001.
----------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Bob Johnson (64.92.76.181) on December 04, 2001 at 20:31:53:  

Although this report is concerned with the use of triptans and other meds for migraine, its focus is on the safety of the medication and not the nature of the underlying headache disorder. The data have important relevance for CH because of the widespread use of Imitrex (Sumatriptan) for Cluster. Except where quotations are used, this is my summary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

"Cardiovascular and safety concerns in using triptans in migraine patients", Timothy R. Smith, M.D., R.Ph., in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, V. XII, 2001, Supplement 1.

There has been widely published concern about the use of triptans in patients with cardiovascular disease or uncontrolled hypertension. "Overall, serious cardiac or cerebrovascular events are uncommon--and are extremely rare when the triptans are used appropriately." Supporting this statement is a study indicating, "...the general decline in serious adverse events during the period since Sumatriptan was first marketed. This decline is observed against a backdrop of steadily increasing use of Sumatriptan. We can conclude that physicians are learning to prescribe Sumatriptan more safely and appropriately."

Clinical evidence on triptans other than Sumatriptan are not yet available because they have come on the market relatively recently.

Reports of chest symptoms associated with Sumatriptan turn out not to be signs of heart attack, etc. in most instances. There is some evidence that the cause arises from the esophagus: more work is needed to understand this symptom.

The published concerns about the use of SSRIs (a class of anti-depressants) along with triptans appears to be a theoretical concern not supported by clinical experience. One study followed 1,784 patients using such combinations for one year and found side effects of only 0.8 percent, none of which occurred within 24-hours of receiving Sumatriptan.

The use of MAOs (another class of anti-depressants) and triptans is still an unresolved question. Bottom line: don't mix them. (In general, MAOs are effective anti-depressants but should only be used by a physician with experience. I should never accept them from a family practice/generalist physician.)

The use of triptans along with ergot compounds should be avoided. There are very few clinical studies of the interaction to guide use and there is theoretical reasons to be concerned about mixing them.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss