Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « blood pressure medication to prevent »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   blood pressure medication to prevent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: blood pressure medication to prevent  (Read 527 times)
darryl

Email

blood pressure medication to prevent
« on: Aug 6th, 2002, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I am a cluster headache sufferer for the last 8 years. The condition was only diagnosed 2 years ago though due to misdiagnosis.

Due to high blood pressure problems last year, I am now taking medicine called Ziak which controls blood pressure and my head feels much better as if there is not much pressure by the eye. Thankfully I have not had an episode this year yet as i am an episodic sufferer. I wanted to know if anyone has had a similiar experience that by using medicine to lower blood pressure, the onset of a periodic cluster is delayed.
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

Re: blood pressure medication to prevent
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 7:20pm »

Well - I have been on Altace to lower my BP for the past 6 months. Interestingly I was a Chronic Cluster Head who had been in remission for the past 14 years. My CH's just returned about a month ago.

Go figure!!!

Chris L
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 7:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Darryl and welcome to the site.  Perhaps Ziak is a medicine in the same class as verapamil (I don't know).  Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker which is mainly used to treat high blood pressure.  Incidentally, it is one of the best preventative medications for clusterheadaches.  Check out the medical info button on the left side.  It has lots of good info.  Also check out the OUCH website.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 8:35pm »

Ziak is a combination of Bisoprolol fumarate (a beta blocker) and hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic).  Beta blockers are also useful as a preventative for meegraines, but only for a few clusterheads it successful as a CH preventative.

Ramipril (Altace) is an ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitor used to lower blood pressure. I have no idea how ACE inhibitors influence clusters.

Another group of meds used against high blood pressure are the calcium channel blockers. One of them, Verapamil, is the CH preventative of first choice too; many of us have great success with it.

I suggest you discuss with your doc the use of Verapamil as high blood pressure medication. Using this, you could swat two flies in one hit.   Cheesy

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss